Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
npklemm

[2019] Colorado Buffaloes Preview

4 posts in this topic

The Buffaloes come off of a Bowl Appearance and having lost 10 starters to the NFLHC and 6 others to graduation. This team is almost completely different. They return only 6 starters, that has to be one of the lowest in the entire country. Because of that, lost of starters this season will be very inexperienced and young. This team is going to struggle because of that, and because some the starters shouldn’t be starting for a P5 team. But when you lose that many players, you have to put someone on the field. And Unfortunately, this is all the Buffs have. Dacder returns for his 3rd Full season, he took over in Week 13 of 2016. He has a career record at Colorado of: 11-6 (6-9) and 0-1 in Bowl Games. This might be least talented team in Colorado History. But they have a favorable OOC schedule for once. But Conference play is going to be rough.

Here are their starters:

QB Evan Torres 5-10 222 (So) Box Elder (Brigham City, UT) 3.5 of 4.0 [Pocket]
RB Latavious Murray 5-6 210 (Fr) Lund (Lund, NV) 3.5 of 4.5 [speed]
FB Paulo Aveau 6-0 201 So Fergus (Lewistown, MT) 3.0 of 3.0 [Pass Blocking]
WR Larry Johnson 6-0 178 (Sr) Smith Valley (Smith, NV) 3.5 of 3.5 [speed]
WR William McLaughlin 6-0 163 (Sr) Weber (North Ogden, UT) 3.5 of 3.5 [speed]
TE Ibrahim Herbert 6-3 191 (Jr) Ten Sleep (Ten Sleep WY) 3.5 of 4.0 [Receiving]
LT Raymond Baugh 6-1 313 (So) Green River (Green River, WY) 3.0 of 3.0 [Run Blocking]
LG Daniel Bartlett 6-4 281 Fr North Sevier (Salina, UT) 2.0 of 2.5 [Pass Blocking]
C Kofi Lockhart 6-2 282 So Cambridge (Cambridge, ID) 2.0 of 2.5 [Run Blocking]
RG Timothy Douglass 6-7 259 Fr Grand Junction (Junction, CO) 2.0 of 3.5 [Pass Blocking]
RT Phillip Farrar 6-2 299 Sr Truckee (Truckee NV) 2.5 of 2.5 [Run Blocking]
DE Jordy Carrera 6-1 243 (So) Judge Memorial (Salt Lake City, UT) 3.0 of 3.5 [blitz]
DT Etena Pinati 6-2 314 Fr Big Piney (Piney, WY) 2.0 of 3.0 [2-Gap]
ILB Kareem Boyd 5-11 238 Fr Grand Junction (Junction, CO) 1.5 of 2.5 [Mike] at Left End
OLB Louis Crowe 5-11 228 (Jr) Incline (Incline Village NV) 2.5 of 2.5 [blitz]
ILB Malik Graves 6-1 224 (So) Wind River (Pavillion, WY) 3.5 of 3.5 [Mike]
ILB Cayden Crawford 6-2 228 Jr Hunter (West Valley City, UT) 2.5 of 2.5 [Will]
FS Jaheim Fair 5-10 202 (Jr) Limon (Limon CO) 3.0 of 3.0 [Man Coverage] at LOLB

CB Tomas Weathers 5-11 181 (Sr) Troy (Troy, ID) 4.5 of 4.5 [Man Coverage]
CB DeSean Barkley 5-10 162 (Fr) Green River (Green River, WY) 2.5 of 5.0 [Man Coverage]
FS Derrick Dennis 5-11 221 (Fr) Manti (Manti, UT) 2.0 of 4.5 [Man Coverage]
SS Roberto Ramos 6-1 181 (Sr) Palo Verde (Las Vegas, NV) 4.0 of 4.0 [Zone Coverage]
K Dante Finley 6-1 154 Jr Idaho Falls (Idaho Falls, ID) 3.0 of 3.0 [Accuracy]
P Nathaniel Morgan 6-2 171 (Jr) Clark (Las Vegas NV) 3.0 of 3.0 [Accuracy]

13 of those guys are Freshmen or Sophomores. They’re starting a ILB at DE, his backup is also a ILB. They’re starting a FS at LOLB. This team lost so much, they just couldn’t replace it.

But, Murray and Torres are nice combo. They are good at CB, FS, and SS. So they should at least have decent Secondary play. But their Front 7 will get destroyed each and every single week. This is worse than I thought it would honestly. I knew they lost a lot, but holy shit. This team is very, very bad. Winning even one game will be an accomplishment.

The present is bleak, let’s look to the future in Red-Shirts:

WR Nico Helm 6-3 212 Fr Hilltop (Vista, CA) 1.0 of 3.5 [Target]
WR Patrick Reardon 5-9 188 Fr Columbia (Burbank, WA) 1.0 of 4.5 [speed]
C Constantine Rankin 6-3 274 Fr Moapa Valley (Overton, NV) 2.0 of 3.5 [Run Blocking]
OT Nico Humphrey 6-4 311 So Filer (Filer, ID) 2.5 of 3.5 [Run Blocking]
DE Josh Bain 6-3 259 Fr Columbia (Burbank, WA) 1.0 of 4.5 [blitz]
ILB Kareem Boyd 5-11 238 Fr Grand Junction (Junction, CO) 1.5 of 2.5 [Mike]
OLB Sam Caron 5-11 228 Fr Williams (Williams, CA) 1.5 of 5.0 [blitz]
OLB Otto Tobin 5-11 220 Fr Layton Christian (Layton, UT) 1.0 of 3.5 [Coverage]
SS Ivan Borden 5-11 195 Fr Lake Stevens (Stevens, WA) 1.0 of 4.0 [Man Coverage]
P Patryk Goetz 6-3 167 Fr Perham (Perham, MN) 1.0 of 3.5 [Accuracy]

Reardon, Bain, and Caron are future playmakers. Borden is an above average starter. Helm, Rankin, Humphrey, Tobin, and Goetz are average starters or solid backups in the future. The future is much brighter than the present, especially with a good recruiting class this season. With the three best players on the active roster being freshmen and sophomores, having these guys in the pipeline should excite Buffs fans.

Time to look at their schedule:

@ Washington State

Bye

Utah State

@ Western Michigan

Bye

USC

@ Arizona State

Utah

Bye

@ UCLA

Washington

Arizona

Southern Miss (Neutral Site)

Bye

Oklahoma

@ Colorado State

Well, Utah State, Western Michigan, and Southern Miss are all winnable. OU and CSU aren’t. I don’t see any wins at all in the PAC-12 for this team. When I initially went through their schedule, I saw 4 wins. But that was being super generous.

I see wins against: Southern Miss.

I see losses against: Everyone Else.

For a record of: 1-11 (0-7).

I’m sorry Dacder, good luck man. This team is so, so bad. The only players I’m looking forward on keeping an eye on are Torres, Murray, and Barkley. Those 3 are the future to this team, and are really the only players worth watching on this team.

Rome, vollmagnet, Dacder and 1 other like this

1 hour ago, npklemm said:

So, I was pretty wrong about this.

I was gonna say something about not expecting Franz to take over, but I got two wins myself lol

Generally speaking, from what I've found in the mid-teir conferences, a good RB and QB combo will at least make you competitive, especially if one part of your defense is decent (in Colorado's case, the secondary). 

Franz Kafka likes this