• Announcements

• Soluna

General News   07/27/2017

CFBHC and NFLHC are both delayed 2-3 days to make up the 2 week gap at the beginning of August a bit. Recruiting this week will still be done Saturday night.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jieret

[2019] MAC Recruiting Results

12 posts in this topic

Obviously it's too early to see where we get to plug in all our shiny new croots - we still have championship games, bowl season, and progressions/transfers to go!  But just judging the recruiting classes on merit?  Sure, we can do that!  It will be totally accurate too, ignore that we're not looking at depth chart/playing time fits!

/s

The link to the complete spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NIR50g8n1M_yDk4NaNWtI-IE7iYEKUcIeYb0n3FN53c/edit?usp=sharing  Please let me know if you see any mistakes.

tl:dr Chart.

NOTE: The first column counts ALL recruits regardless of rating, while the last three columns only count 2.5+ potential recruits because if you REALLY have to depend on that 1.5 of 2.0 guy... oh boy.  Not that a 2.5 is that much better but it's depth that can be worked with, especially if the player is a 2.0 of 2.5 or something similar.

Committed Recruits (by potential)                  
Total Recruits (all *) Team 2.5-Star 3-Star 3.5-Star 4-Star 4.5-Star 5-Star Croot Total Tot. Stars Avg. Stars
10 Buffalo 0 0 7 0 2 1 10 38.5 3.85
20 Toledo 2 2 6 0 4 3 17 65 3.82
16 Central Michigan 4 0 1 4 2 1 12 43.5 3.63
20 Western Michigan 3 5 5 2 2 1 18 62 3.44
17 Ball State 3 6 3 1 1 2 16 54.5 3.41
11 Miami (OH) 1 4 5 0 0 1 11 37 3.36
18 Ohio 5 5 3 4 0 0 17 54 3.18
25 Northern Illinois 13 1 3 4 2 0 23 71 3.09
14 Bowling Green 5 4 0 1 0 1 11 33.5 3.05
20 Kent State 3 5 3 0 0 0 11 33 3.00
18 Eastern Michigan 6 4 3 1 0 0 14 41.5 2.96
11 Akron 3 6 1 0 0 0 10 29 2.90

Class Rankings (* denotes JuCo):

1. Toledo :toledo: (3.85 avg, 20 total recruits, 17 2.5+ recruits). Key commits: C Vic Troutman 6-1 288 Fr Wauseon (Wauseon OH) 1.0 of 5.0 [Pass Blocking], OG Vincent McCabe 6-5 287 Fr Bath (Lima OH) 1.0 of 5.0 [Run Blocking], CB Levern White 5-9 162 Jr Gogebic Community College (Ironwood MI) 3.5 of 4.5 [Man Coverage]*, ILB Ryan Carr 6-3 264 Fr Ada (Ada OH) 1.5 of 4.5 [Mike], WR Justin Evans 5-11 168 (So) Gavilan College (Gilroy CA) 3.5 of 4.5 [Speed]*
    -Not a surprise that Toledo's at the top of the list.  They have a big advantage most of the other MAC schools don't; consistent coaching (deathcpo is only one of two MAC coaches to be with their program since inception).  I alluded to Toledo's 2021 playoff timeline, and the two JuCo commits will be here long enough to aid in that.  They signed as many 4.5 and 5-stars as the bottom eight schools on the chart combined.  By MAC standards anyway, it's an embarrassment of riches.  Let's put it this way - Toledo flipped 1.0/3.5 CB Jerraud Bynum in the last week from Ohio, who badly needed him.  On Toledo's roster?  He'll redshirt and maybe be the nickel back in two years.

2. Central Michigan :cmu: (3.63 avg, 16 total recruits, 12 2.5+ recruits).   Key commits: QB Byron Suggs 6-0 195 Fr Pewaukee (Pewaukee WI) 1.5 of 5.0 [Scrambling], K Trent Michaels 6-3 194 Sr Rochester Community & Technical College (Rochester MN) 4.5 of 4.5 [Power]*, OG Ethan Bennett 6-3 312 Fr Dominican (Whitefish Bay WI) 1.0 of 4.5 [Run Blocking], ATH Joseph Aikman 6-5 227 Fr Alma (Alma WI) 2.5 of 4.0 [Target]
    -llamas has new man-crush on board in the highly-rated Suggs, and even a nice target for him to throw to in ATH Aikman.  A kicker doesn't seem like a big deal, but Central lost a couple of games this year to shanked field goals - it could have been them playing for the MAC Championship instead of Toledo with a steadier kicker.  The rest of their higher-rated commits are at a smattering of positions around the field (OT, LS, CB, FB).

3. Buffalo :buffalo: (3.85 avg, 10 total recruits, 10 2.5+ recruits).  Key commits: QB Blair Holcomb 5-11 207 (Jr) Hudson Valley Community College (Troy NY) 4.0 of 5.0 [Pocket]*, OLB Alexander Moffett 6-2 224 Fr Southside (Elmira NY) 3.0 of 4.5 [Coverage], RB Alec Self 6-1 226 Fr Thomas Jefferson (Brooklyn NY) 1.0 of 4.5 [Power]
    -Whoa.  Buffalo has the higher star total than Central Michigan, and their number of 2.5+ commits isn't markedly smaller than CMU.  So why do they slot in behind the Chips?  It's because of Holcomb.  Now I'm not saying that it was a mistake to recruit him, it clearly wasn't.  What I AM saying is that Buffalo is firmly rooted in their smashmouth style of football, and the QB gets to throw the ball MAYBE 10 times a game.  Quite simply Holcomb will have less chances to impact the game than someone like Byron Suggs will.  Know who WILL get to impact the game?  OLB Alexander Moffett who will likely start from day one, and Alec Self gets to redshirt a year and soak up gamma rays from MAMADOU SMASH, just in time to take over as Wynn graduates.  Fun! :(

4. Western Michigan :wmu: (3.44 avg, 20 total recruits, 18 2.5+ recruits).  Key commits: ATH Kualii Umaga 6-3 255 Fr Brandywine (Niles MI) 1.0 of 5.0 [Pass Blocking], OT Avery Curley 6-3 292 Fr Napoleon (Napoleon MI) 1.0 of 4.5 [Run Blocking], OT Marc Allen 6-6 281 (Jr) Dutchess Community College (Poughkeepsie NY) 4.0 of 4.5 [Pass Blocking]*, SS Lardarius McAfee 6-2 187 Fr Owendale Gagetown (Owendale MI) 1.0 of 4.0 [Zone Coverage]
    -The Broncos focused on beef this recruiting cycle.  Their three highest-rated commits are all offensive lineman, and six of their 3.5+ recruits play in the trenches (seven if you count a long snapper... but come on).  With Gabriel Shields (and DeSean Madison behind him) as the centerpieces of Western's offense, the plan seemed to be getting superior blockers for the RB stable.  The rest of the class was primarily about reloading; unfortunately they really missed out on a position of need, losing out on OLB Beckman in the last week.

5. Ball State :ball: (3.41 avg, 17 total recruits, 16 2.5+ recruits).  Key commits: RB Damani Laws 5-9 189 Fr Northridge (Middlebury IN) 1.0 of 5.0 [Speed], TE Steven Moya 6-5 199 Fr Alex Monroe (Alexandria IN) 1.0 of 5.0 [Receiving], WR Sebastian Amato 6-3 152 Fr Alex Monroe (Alexandria IN) 1.0 of 4.5 [Speed], FS Geno Atkins 6-1 208 Fr Taylor (Kokomo IN) 1.0 of 4.0 [Zone Coverage]
    -I flip-flopped Ball State and WMU several times; I REALLY like the Cardinals' top end of the class, but the Broncos had a deeper overall group.  Ultimately Western took fourth due to a logjam of guards in Ball State's class (four of them, although one is a field-ready 3.0/3.5. The others are 3-star or lower).  Those skill players, though... Damani Laws will be ready to take over for Austin Laws (no relation) in a couple of years and coach lrickar1 gave Marquis Causey quite a few weapons to grow up with and throw to.

6. Ohio :ohio: (3.18 avg, 18 total recruits, 17 2.5+ recruits).  Key commits: DT Aaden Prince 6-3 296 Fr Gilmour Academy (Gates Mills OH) 1.0 of 4.0 [2-Gap], OG Drew Platt 6-1 289 Fr Notre Dame-Catherdal Latin ( OH) 2.0 of 4.0 [Pass Blocking], OT Derek Satterfield 6-3 330 Fr Wauseon (Wauseon OH) 1.0 of 4.0 [Pass Blocking], QB Austin Lowe 6-5 233 Fr Madison Plains (London OH) 3.0 of 4.0 [Pocket]
    -Austin Lowe is what pushes Ohio's class above Miami(OH) and NIU.  It's no secret that the Bobcats' QB position was their weak spot, and Lowe provides an immediate upgrade over Stephen Peters.   Another nice thing is that quite a few of their recruits already come in at a 2.0 current rating or higher so they can step in right away if needed, and some of them probably will.  Ohio also got some good depth on the offensive line, but losing CB Bynum to Toledo really hurts.

7. Northern Illinois :niu: (3.09 avg, 25 total recruits, 23 2.5+ recruits).  Key commits: SS Antonio Weeks 5-11 199 Fr Canton (Canton IL) 2.0 of 4.5 [Zone Coverage], FB Akeem Mims 6-0 215 Fr Roxana (Roxana IL) 2.0 of 4.0 [Run Blocking], OT Jermon McCullough 6-1 330 Fr Dodgeville (Dodgeville, WI) 2.0 of 4.0 [Pass Blocking], SS Jordan Harley 5-10 215 Sr Milwaukee Area Technical College (Milwaukee WI) 4.0 of 4.0 [Man Coverage]*, WR Maxwell Rider 6-2 178 Fr John Marshall (Chicago IL) 1.0 of 4.0 [Speed]
    -The largest recruiting class in the MAC slots here.  Even though prized recruit Weeks could step in right away, the Huskies have the luxury of redshirting him because of Jordan Harley's presence.  Mims and McCullough are also ready to play immediately if needed, and that may be a tempting thought for coach robcarlson77.  NIU focused heavily on the defensive front seven; a full 40 percent of their class play there!  Almost all of them are 2.5 potential or less though, so this may be throwing defensive players spaghetti against the wall and seeing what sticks.

8. Miami (OH) :miao: (3.36 avg, 11 total recruits, 11 2.5+ recruits).  Key commits: DT Morris Jackson 6-7 302 Fr East Technical (Cleveland OH) 1.0 of 5.0 [2-Gap], DE Josiah Ornelas 6-7 248 Fr Garaway (Sugarcreek OH) 1.0 of 3.5 [Blitz], OT Ronny Sparks 6-5 258 (So) Chipola College (Marianna FL) 3.0 of 3.5 [Pass Blocking]
    -The clear jewels of the class are Jackson and Sparks.  Jackson is a huge talent that will make life miserable for centers and guards, and the Redhawks badly needed players of his caliber on the defensive side.  Sparks will do good work protecting the FLAMETHROWER ZACK CERA's blindside from the jump but doesn't look to progress very far past good.  Despite Jackson, Miami slots here due to the small size of their class; they needed more players than they got.

9. Eastern Michigan :emu: (2.96 avg, 18 total recruits, 14 2.5+ recruits).  Key commits: SS Ibrahima Griggs 6-0 181 Fr Holland Christian (Holland MI) 1.0 of 4.0 [Man Coverage], ILB Leo Forrest 6-3 210 Fr Blissfield (Blissfield MI) 1.0 of 3.5 [Will], OLB Marlon Grier 6-0 228 Fr Monroe (Monroe MI) 1.0 of 3.5 [Blitz], QB Jacob Gardner 6-3 232 Fr Muskegon (Muskegon MI) 1.0 of 3.5 [Hybrid]
    -At this point, it's as much about quantity as it is quality.  A 3.5 commit at EMU is much more valuable than he would be at Toledo, for example, and the Eagles have more of them in their class than anyone below them on this list.  Eastern is also clearly wanting to shore up their back seven; there are six linebackers and four secondary players of 2.5 or higher led by SS Griggs.

10. Kent State :kent: (3.00 avg, 20 total recruits, 11 2.5+ recruits).  Key commits: OG Leon Humphrey 6-3 332 Fr Hudson (Hudson OH) 1.5 of 3.5 [Run Blocking], OLB Abraham McCormack 6-0 242 Fr Eastmoor Academy (Columbus OH) 1.0 of 3.5 [Blitz], OT Kenneth Hildebrand 6-3 261 Fr Sylvania Northview (Sylvania OH) 1.0 of 3.5 [Pass Blocking], C Sam Walsh 6-2 299 Fr Greenville (Greenville OH) 2.5 of 3.0 [Pass Blocking]
    -Quantity, but without the 4-star.  They also have the highest amount of recruits 2-star and lower.  The Golden Flashes badly need a coach that will stick around for the long haul, because if this class is the meat of their roster in 2-3 years?  Yuck.

11. Bowling Green :bgsu: (3.05 avg, 14 total recruits, 11 2.5+ recruits).  Key commits: FS Brody Grimes 6-2 218 Fr Wayne Trace (Haviland OH) 1.0 of 5.0 [Zone Coverage], LS Gregory Dubose 6-1 249 Fr Troy (Troy OH) 1.0 of 4.0 [Traditional]
    -I know, putting a longsnapper as a key commit?  He is a traditional style, so maybe he can fill in at C if needed?  But after Grimes and Dubose we go straight to 3.0 players.  Also, four TEs in a total class of fourteen players?  Not great.

12. Akron :zips: (2.90 avg, 11 total recruits, 10 2.5+ recruits).  Key commits: RB Mike Cazares 6-0 172 Fr Blanchester (Blanchester OH) 1.0 of 3.5 [Speed].
    -"Oh man.  You should have seen the one that got away!"   Akron was pretty much putting all their eggs in blue-chipper ILB Nazir Flowers (1.0 of 5.0), but Ohio State flipped him at the last possible moment.  Coach darkage has to be gutted, but now his focus has to be on his current players.  The next recruiting cycle, however, will be critical - Akron can't afford to miss out on replenishing their overall talent.

Bad recruiting for bowling Green.  Hard to come in 3/4 through the season and come up with a positive draft board Haha owell hopefully next year we turn it around.

22 hours ago, stubbylegz said:

Bad recruiting for bowling Green.  Hard to come in 3/4 through the season and come up with a positive draft board Haha owell hopefully next year we turn it around.

It is pretty rough, but you were able to salvage something out of this season.  At least in a few weeks you'll be able to steer Bowling Green from the very beginning of the 2020 season, and that will make a huge difference.

On ‎2017‎-‎01‎-‎11 at 0:35 PM, Jieret said:

It is pretty rough, but you were able to salvage something out of this season.  At least in a few weeks you'll be able to steer Bowling Green from the very beginning of the 2020 season, and that will make a huge difference.

how long is the off season in this game?

Just saw this, awesome write up Jieret.

We got Jackson, which was huge, but other than that I kinda hate the class. Luckily, with only 3 SRs, we won't be getting worse next season and I'll hopefully be able to pull in a better class. 

Congrats MAC on a great season!

I feel really bad for all these kids. They're going to waste their careers away in a conference that'll hamper their growth with revolving coaches and mediocre competition.

8 minutes ago, Rome said:

I feel really bad for all these kids. They're going to waste their careers away in a conference that'll hamper their growth with revolving coaches and mediocre competition.

Is that better or worse than all the recruits you've abandoned over the years?

Rome likes this

Just now, Jumanji said:

Is that better or worse than all the recruits you've abandoned over the years?

Worse? I left those kids to great coaches like Jumanji, Franz, Dac--okay, those two.

So I have a recruiting question. I'm looking to set my pipeline state. I've noticed that some teams have set theirs to their home state. While others have set it to another state. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks! 

1 minute ago, jdboyd said:

So I have a recruiting question. I'm looking to set my pipeline state. I've noticed that some teams have set theirs to their home state. While others have set it to another state. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks! 

It's generally based on recruits. Once the 2020 class comes out, take a look at your needs and where the best place to fill those needs will be. That's the state that you should pipeline. That, or set it to your home state or a bordering state for extra points on the homefront