FLAG BEARERS

As the CFBHC season rolls near, it's the Michigan Wolverines led by Head Coach jmjacobs who grab the top spot in the preseason AP poll. Will they remain at the top? Or fall to an unlikely upset?

FOUNTAIN OF YOUTH

Patriots QB Darren Werner gave us a little blast from the past when he threw for 475 yards and 5 touchdowns against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in preseason week 2.

IT'S CROOTIN SEASON

Along with the CFBHC season comes CROOTIN! Time to think, and think and think, and maybe overthink your strategies and then get beat out by Penn State on all of your favorite croots.

ALL HAIL MCQUEEN?

Detroit Lions rookie CB Kevin McQueen has made some noise early in the preseason, recording an interception in both games so far. Have the Lions finally found Keyshawn Thompson a running mate?

HOCKEY COME BACK, WE CAN MAKE IT UP TO YOU

NHLHC fans take to the stands during the NFLHC preseason to beg for an end on the NHLHC Lockout and a return to the ice.
    Chatbox -
    Darman (28024) . Rome (28021) . Soluna (22973) . stormstopper (17520) . npklemm (15650) .

You don't have permission to chat.
      Load More
    Nmize0

Kansas City Chiefs Announce Organizational Change

Due to changes in commitments and availability, the Kansas City Chiefs have made the tough decision to remove coach Vollmagnet from his position as Head Coach of the Kansas City Chiefs. This move is effective immediately and I will take over the role as Head Coach for the foreseeable future. The Chiefs appreciate Vollmagnet's work in Kansas City and wish him well in his future endeavors. I also welcome any opportunities that may arise in the future that would bring Vollmagnet back to Kansas City in some capacity. With that said, the focus is set on the upcoming season and competing within the very tough AFC West for a coveted playoff spot.

I will be available for any questions.

6 minutes ago, Darman said:

Why are you parting ways with vollmagnet

Vollmagnet has had personal view changes and life changes that have compromised his ability to put in the effort required for the Chiefs to be successful.

2 minutes ago, Dacder said:

Don't you think it's a bit crazy to part ways with a coach that led you to your best ever season last year before the regular season has even started? 

Our hand was a bit forced in this situation. The communication between Vollmagnet and the organization has dropped a very significant amount since the preseason began. The effort Vollmagnet was allocating to his position was too low for us to continue his employment.

18 hours ago, pumph said:

My question is this:  Which of your coordinators are you going to fire so that you can comply with the stated coaches contract rules that the head coach must always make more than one of the coordinators?

This will be something we work with the League to figure out. Our Head Coach has legitimately disappeared without ability to contact/communicate with him. Due to this unprecedented (since the new coaching contracts change was instituted) situation that arose and forced this decision, we believe some discussion must be had to decide the rules regarding this. At the time of signing, the contracts were within the rules. This could happen at any moment to nearly any other team, and the rules regarding coaching contracts should be fleshed out regarding these types of situations now and for the future.

1 hour ago, GK12303 said:

How open are you to accepting new HC applications? Or will you see it out for the rest of the season

Not accepting any applications. With the rules in place as they are, it seems smart to act as head coach myself. Luckily, we have a coordinator making only $1.5m per season, so I will be able to take the remainder of our coaching cap and not have to fire a coordinator (which would then cause 50% of that contract to be dead money as well) to comply with the coordinator pay rule.

3 hours ago, Nmize0 said:

This will be something we work with the League to figure out. Our Head Coach has legitimately disappeared without ability to contact/communicate with him. Due to this unprecedented (since the new coaching contracts change was instituted) situation that arose and forced this decision, we believe some discussion must be had to decide the rules regarding this. At the time of signing, the contracts were within the rules. This could happen at any moment to nearly any other team, and the rules regarding coaching contracts should be fleshed out regarding these types of situations now and for the future.

Did he legitimately disappear though? He was last online 5 days ago which doesn't even meet the old requirements of two weeks of inactivity.

17 hours ago, panther553212 said:

Did he legitimately disappear though? He was last online 5 days ago which doesn't even meet the old requirements of two weeks of inactivity.

He hasn't responded to any PM's since Feb 17, hasn't read our PM talks since Feb 20, was late on preseason week 1 and week 2 gameplans even after reminders in the days leading up, and was going to miss week 3 gameplan (He still hasn't responded about the gameplan, and I fired him before the deadline for week 3 so I could submit a gameplan).

20 minutes ago, Nmize0 said:

He hasn't responded to any PM's since Feb 17, hasn't read our PM talks since Feb 20, was late on preseason week 1 and week 2 gameplans even after reminders in the days leading up, and was going to miss week 3 gameplan (He still hasn't responded about the gameplan, and I fired him before the deadline for week 3 so I could submit a gameplan).

That is really my point though. He let you know he would be on less and has still been logging in. This isn't an issue of him completely disappearing. He just isn't as active as you expect him to be so you fired him(rightfully so). I just don't think making a coaches salary cap exception in this situation sets a good precedent.

3 hours ago, panther553212 said:

That is really my point though. He let you know he would be on less and has still been logging in. This isn't an issue of him completely disappearing. He just isn't as active as you expect him to be so you fired him(rightfully so). I just don't think making a coaches salary cap exception in this situation sets a good precedent.

Does logging in and not doing anything count as being active? He didn't reply to anything, post anything, and missed gameplans. I guess it depends on your definition of active, but if a coach doesn't do any portion of his job, but does log in once(?), wouldn't that make him inactive? 

If a coach IRL ever just stopped responding to the org, and didn't do any coaching or game planning... I think that's a different situation. 

5 minutes ago, Nmize0 said:

Does logging in and not doing anything count as being active? He didn't reply to anything, post anything, and missed gameplans. I guess it depends on your definition of active, but if a coach doesn't do any portion of his job, but does log in once(?), wouldn't that make him inactive? 

If a coach IRL ever just stopped responding to the org, and didn't do any coaching or game planning... I think that's a different situation. 

I mean to me it would be the same as the coach going to the team facility everyday but not game planning week to week and just using the same one he made the first week. A team would likely fire their coach for that level of effort but I mean if you are bringing IRL into it you would not get out of paying that coaches contract if you fired him.

57 minutes ago, panther553212 said:

I mean to me it would be the same as the coach going to the team facility everyday but not game planning week to week and just using the same one he made the first week. A team would likely fire their coach for that level of effort but I mean if you are bringing IRL into it you would not get out of paying that coaches contract if you fired him.

Or, maybe, that's explicitly not happening. I'm pretty sure IRL, coaching contracts have some type of protection clause in them saying, "Hey, you have to actually DO your job here, otherwise we aren't paying you". We wouldn't know because this is unprecedented. But I'm quite sure that a coach can't just show up to the facility every few days (or maybe once a week or less; seems like that's the case) and expect to get the money owed in their contract.

To me there is a huge difference between not going you job and doing it poorly. If they aren't doing it period they should be fired and not have their contract bought out. If they are just doing a poor job then u should have to eat part of the contract when u fire them 

3 hours ago, alienufo said:

not really worth arguing about this.  The Chiefs fired him, he wasn't inactive, and if he was there would be no special case where he can just void the contract.  He has to honor it.

I'm honestly not upset about it. After eating 50% of his contract, I'm still able to keep the coordinators we have and pay myself even more than Voll was getting originally, so it's whatever. I'm just trying to say that I think these rules need to be thought about and probably revised. If you want to have a realistic sim, the rules as they stand now aren't going to do that. It is just a FACT that it is asinine to give ANY head coach, regardless of their coaching ability/consistency up to this point, a contract longer than one year. Soluna was probably the pinnacle of a head coaching candidate (in both ability and consistency) and even he left the site in some capacity for a while. You never know when a coach is going to leave. Sometimes things happen and there isn't enough notice to prepare for it.

Maybe you don't see this whole situation as an issue because you run OAK by yourself and don't have to worry about hiring a head coach. And I'm not talking down on that point of view, it's a fair argument (as evidenced by myself doing the same thing for the foreseeable future). BUT it's going to push more and more owners towards coaching themselves so they don't have to rely on anyone else to not fuck over the franchise's future (or even current season if eating part of the inactive HC's contract causes them to have to fire a coordinator and eat that contract as well, further hamstringing the franchise with cap penalties and shittier coordinators).

You don't have to do anything by my account, I'm just trying to have constructive dialogue about this rule and the sim. I'm not one to try and shake things up or change rules all of the time. Anytime I've fucked up or something, I've been accepting whatever decision that was made. But I love this site and love spending time here, so when I see something that causes an issue or could cause issues down the line, I want to be proactive about it. Maybe you didn't think about some of the points I brought up and now you have them to think over. On the other hand, maybe you did and you are fine with the rules that are in place regardless of those points.

2 hours ago, Nmize0 said:

I'm honestly not upset about it. After eating 50% of his contract, I'm still able to keep the coordinators we have and pay myself even more than Voll was getting originally, so it's whatever. I'm just trying to say that I think these rules need to be thought about and probably revised. If you want to have a realistic sim, the rules as they stand now aren't going to do that. It is just a FACT that it is asinine to give ANY head coach, regardless of their coaching ability/consistency up to this point, a contract longer than one year. Soluna was probably the pinnacle of a head coaching candidate (in both ability and consistency) and even he left the site in some capacity for a while. You never know when a coach is going to leave. Sometimes things happen and there isn't enough notice to prepare for it.

Maybe you don't see this whole situation as an issue because you run OAK by yourself and don't have to worry about hiring a head coach. And I'm not talking down on that point of view, it's a fair argument (as evidenced by myself doing the same thing for the foreseeable future). BUT it's going to push more and more owners towards coaching themselves so they don't have to rely on anyone else to not fuck over the franchise's future (or even current season if eating part of the inactive HC's contract causes them to have to fire a coordinator and eat that contract as well, further hamstringing the franchise with cap penalties and shittier coordinators).

You don't have to do anything by my account, I'm just trying to have constructive dialogue about this rule and the sim. I'm not one to try and shake things up or change rules all of the time. Anytime I've fucked up or something, I've been accepting whatever decision that was made. But I love this site and love spending time here, so when I see something that causes an issue or could cause issues down the line, I want to be proactive about it. Maybe you didn't think about some of the points I brought up and now you have them to think over. On the other hand, maybe you did and you are fine with the rules that are in place regardless of those points.

i recognize those issues, but those are intended side effects acording to soluna, who made the system.