smckenz3

Smackems' NFLHC Predictorama Week 1

11 posts in this topic

082214-reid-thumb.jpg

Can Prince McGill lead the 49ers to victory in week 1?

Welcome everyone to the first edition of the Smackems' NFLHC Predictorama.  Each week I'm going to take a stab at predicting every non Miami Dolphins game.  However, don't fret folks I've enrolled Super Bowl winning owner Jumanji to make our weekly Dolphins pick.  I believe someone else did something like this last year, but hey the more the merrier right?  More Media!!!!

I'll designate the weekly "Smackems Game of the Week" with a star, this game is the cream of the crop that week and should be a downright dooooozy.  This also might be a little obvious, but just in case ya missed it, the predicted winning team will be bolded in white.  

Without further adieu let's get to pickin'!! 

Los Angeles Rams (0-0) at San Francisco 49ers (0-0) - The Super Bowl Champs start our 2020 NFLHC season with a familiar foe the Los Angeles Rams.  The 9ers and Rams squared off 3 times last year with San Fran getting 2 victories including a win in the playoffs.  These are normally very evenly matched teams, but with Rams star QB Darrell Murphy out for the first few weeks of the season it becomes a tall order for backup Jeremy Henry to overcome.  The safeties aren't rookies anymore and Pitt Panther star Michael McBride has been brought in to help the defensive line.  The 49ers deliver the fans a victory on ring night.  

Buffalo Bills (0-0) at Miami Dolphins (0-0) - "This game hinges on how well the Dolphins' offensive line can contain their intimidating counterparts. It's no secret that the strength of the Buffalo Bills is their defensive line. Even while starting four rookies on defense, the Dolphins should be able to handle this Bills offense. While Dess has built up an impressive reputation, he's shown that he can't do it all on his own. The Bills did little to improve their passing game and, unless Brian Brown gets knocked out early, I don't see them winning this one." courtesy of Jumanji.

Baltimore Ravens (0-0) at New York Jets (0-0) - The Jets have reached 2 straight super bowls but have yet to claim the title as they open up the season with the defending AFC North champion Baltimore Ravens.  New York coach grv, fresh off his college national championship, looks to take a Jets team that is returning its whole team from the previous year to new heights.  New outside linebacker Daquan Darcey looks to improve an already stellar defense.  The Ravens bring one of the best defenses in the league, but with the loss of star Booker T. Washington, have a lot of questions on offense.  I don't think the Ravens will be able to score and the Jets have enough firepower on offense to take this one pretty easily.  

Cleveland Browns (0-0) at Tennessee Titans (0-0) - What can you say about Tennessee?  After a injury-riddled 2019 season the Titans look to rebound in 2020 with good health.  They bring in former Seahawk Alexander Williams to lead the offensive charge with 2019 breakout player Kevin Williams.  Highly touted rookie Tyler Jones will look to get after Browns QB Ryan Clark, but the Browns bring in 3 rookie starters on defense with the additions of C.J. Thomas, Cameron Marshall, and Gabriel Beauchamp.  I like the the moves the Browns made in the off-season and I think they will be much improved this year, I'm taking them in a slight upset.  

Cincinnati Bengals (0-0) at Atlanta Falcons (0-0) - The Bengals are definitely the front runners for the splashiest off-season award.  Ending the 2019 season with a historically bad offense they went out and added All-Pro wideout Rodney Montgomery and former college sensation Adrian Jankowski to shore up a really weak group of pass catchers.  Ron Thomas is one of the best backs in the league so it falls on Joel King to take a big leap in season 2.  Atlanta was cruising along last year until an injury to QB A.J. Jefferson derailed their playoff hopes.  They bring in former Oregon standout Eric Jennings to pair with 2019 rookie Early Davis.  Akili Wallace is hard to stop for anyone, but the Bengals' defense is pretty bad so look for him to run wild.  They'll win some games with their offense, but this isn't one of them.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (0-0) at Pittsburgh Steelers (0-0) - A battle of former front office mates as rabid's Bucs take on panther's Steelers.  The Steelers ended the 2019 season as one of the hottest teams in the league winning 6 out of their last 8 games after switching to Paul Davenport at QB.  Chester Henson comes to town looking to add another level of dynamism to a team that sports a fairly decent defense on paper.  The Bucs bring in new safety Aaron Blakely in one of the more odd draft stories of all time.  I like the Steelers in this one, I think Davenport continues his roll and Henson makes them harder to game-plan for.  

New York Giants (0-0) at Dallas Cowboys (0-0) The Cowboys looks to rebound from a poor showing in 2019 and get Vaughan Abraham going.  First round pick Graham Burnett looks to open the season as the 2nd string QB, but the Cowboys sport one of the best offensive lines in the league.  The Giants sport one of the best defenses in the league, but don't have a lot of offensive fire-power outside of O.J Carano.  I like the Cowboys in this one, I think it will be low scoring but they will pull it out.  

New Orleans Saints (0-0) at Carolina Panthers (0-0) - Both of these teams can put the ball in the end-zone, and I don't expect anything less in this game.  However to say the Saints struggle on defense would be an understatement, but they are trending in the right direction with the addition of FA George Brady and rookie Corey Davis.  Causter will coach them up, but it's a tall task to open the season in Charlotte against Christian Skaggs and his new toy Curtis Henry.  The Panthers sport a pretty good defense as well and with the return of Mike Latta I expect even more fireworks on offense.  I think the Saints will score, but I think the Panthers will score more and get a few stops..

Arizona Cardinals (0-0) at Green Bay Packers (0-0) - The Packers had arguably one of the best draft classes in the league to pair with their already excellent set of receivers.  Ted is a great coach, but it's clear Arizona is in the midst of a full-scale rebuild.  I don't know what else to say about this one except I think Green Bay wins big.  

New England Patriots (0-0) at Los Angeles Chargers (0-0) - The Patriots are fresh off an appearance in the 2019 playoffs and shored of both sides of the line with the drafting of Taylor Randolph and the acquisition of DT Rich Moore.  An unfortunate injury to kicker Brad Weathersby puts them in a tough situation on special teams.  I don't foresee it being an issue against the rebuilding Chargers who are in need of help at a lot of positions.  Patriots win big.  

Chicago Bears (0-0) at Houston Texans (0-0) - Chicago made some big acquisitions this offseason adding Akeel Mitchell and Kevin Harris to their linebacking core.  They also bring a high powered duo of wide receivers that should overwhelm the Houston CBs..  I think Rome is a good coach and their success this season depends on his ability to learn how to best utilize Alex Leshoure.  I'm taking Chicago in this one - I like the additions they made.  

Denver Broncos (0-0) at Seattle Seahawks (0-0) - This has potential to be a great game.  Seattle brings in new quarterback Jarius Jones to pair with Gary Faneca and new RB Booker T.  Denver has their own set of new toys with Todd Jennings taking over the helm at QB and J.B. Blacknall taking over the feature back duties.  I'm really high on Denver this year, I think they have a chance to unseat Oakland in the division.  Seattle will make it tough but the Broncos pull it out.  

Washington Redskins (0-0) at Philadelphia Eagles (0-0) - The Redskins bring is stellar wideout Sam Hiller-Weeden, who's a guy I really hoped would fall to me at 19.  Philly is the defending division champs and came oh so close to representing the NFC in the super bowl, but bring in rookie OLB Martin Whiting to add firepower to a solid defense.  Washington will make a run at it, but I think Philly takes it.  

Detroit Lions (0-0) at Minnesota Vikings (0-0) - The Lions are perennial favorites each year and this year should be no different.  They bring in Jeremy Cook and James Otero to add some firepower to that offense.  Minnesota had a questionable off-season and brings in a brand-new coach to start the season.  I think bellwood ends up being a good coach, but opening up with the best team in your division is no fun.  Lions win this one handily.  

Kansas City Chiefs (0-0) at Jacksonville Jaguars (0-0) - We're now in year 2 of the Soluna rebuild in Jacksonville, and he was able to snag superstar WR Raheem Robinson.  Asante Sowell had a stellar rookie campaign and should find even more holes now with a playmaker like Raheem on the outside.  Kansas City had a great year last year, but then traded their best CB and his replacement immediately tore his ACL.  Kansas City also loses their head coach from their playoff campaign.  I think they'll be fine, but expect Jacksonville to win this one.  

*Indianapolis Colts (0-0) at Oakland Raiders (0-0) - The Smackems' game of the week features two AFC powerhouses in the Colts and Raiders.  The Raiders got off to a sensational start last season before an unfortunate series of running back injuries really hurt their chances to go all the way.  The Colts hope that Tony Peaks's return will bring some balance to their pass heavy offense last year.  This game features 2 of the best QBs in the league each sporting a great set of weapons to throw the ball too.  I like Oakland in this one - I think the home crowd will help them pull it out.  

Quasar, Vxmonarkxv, Jieret and 14 others like this

4 minutes ago, ImposterCauster said:

Saints-Panthers: defense is optional

Can't wait for the start of the season! I expect more of these in the future ;)

The goal is for it to be weekly!

DStack11 likes this

This is great! And what a super preview for the Pre-Week 1 Power Rankings to come out... 

Thanks for picking DEN as well, I'm sure we'll find a way to make it interesting. 

smckenz3 likes this

33 minutes ago, smckenz3 said:

I don't think the Ravens will be able to score

Our offense isn't that bad. We won't get shut out. 

54 minutes ago, TheSam said:

Our offense isn't that bad. We won't get shut out. 

Sorry - that was late night typing.  I didn't actually mean you would get shut out, just that in general scoring will be difficult.  

7 hours ago, bingo415 said:

This is great! And what a super preview for the Pre-Week 1 Power Rankings to come out... 

Thanks for picking DEN as well, I'm sure we'll find a way to make it interesting. 

:angry:

8 hours ago, smckenz3 said:

Ted is a great coach

:)

8 hours ago, smckenz3 said:

I don't know what else to say about this one except I think Green Bay wins big.

:(