Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GK12303

[2020] MWC Presents: An Upset That Hurt The Most

2 posts in this topic

ADhK68V.jpg

The Background

WmXpARK.jpg

2019, a season which marks DescretoBurrito's 6th season at the helm was described as smooth with some very little potholes for him and the Air Force Falcons. Wins against Navy, Colorado State and Washington State earned them being ranked #20 after the WSU game but then lost in a blowout 35-7 loss to Mississippi State, beat New Mexico, then lost to Tennessee 44-35 but proceeded to not lose another game down the stretch with blowout wins against the likes of Boise State, Utah State, and Fresno State beating them 51-3, 7-17, and 7-19 respectively. Their roster included MWC Defensive POTY "The" Prince Williams, All-MWC First Team selections in the aforementioned CB "The" Prince Williams, DE James Carter, K Lorenzo Rodgers and P Thomas Purcell and All-MWC Second Team selections in the form of RB Xaiver Valentine, G Hunter Herndon, ILB Joshua Olsen, SS Jesse Hutchins.

dq5iH1K.jpg

Over 1,000 Miles west of Colorado Springs, CO is Reno, NV, the home of the Nevada Wolfpack. This team was a powerhouse in the MWC from start to finish, going undefeated in the regular season, with blowout wins against UCLA, Oregon State, Miami (OH), Utah State, San Diego State, San Jose State and UNLV. Those wins along with the rest earned them a spot on the coaches poll and never looked back as they ended the season as the #5 team of all of CFBHC, only behind Clemson, Penn State, Tennessee and Baylor. Their roster included Offensive and Defensive ROY in Jordan Godwin and Issac Watkins, included All-MWC First Team selections ILB Akeel "The Real Deal" Morris, CB Shamar Knox, and FS Issac Watkins, and they have All-MWC Second Team selections in WR Darius Goode, TE Mason Parks, and K Phillp Crow. 

The Game

I4X5M3c.jpg

Air Force RB Xavier Valentine speaks out

"When we knew that we wold be playing Nevada, Everyone had the belief that we lost and everyone was still on the hype train. They all thought we had no chance to win and thought we would not win our 3rd Conference Championship. Only problem was, that we weren't going to let the odds stack against us"

First Quarter had Nevada receiving the ball to start off the game, then Crow hit a 28 yd FG at 12:08 to give them the lead (AIR FORCE 0, NEVADA 3). But then Valentine and Kaufman scored back to back rushing TDs at the 7:58 and 2:48 mark respectively to give Air Force the lead (AIR FORCE 14, NEVADA 3). Phillip Crow came back to hit 44 yd FG at the 0:28 mark to end off the First Quarter.

Second Quarter had Air Force's own QB Nico Kaufman throwing an INT to Robert Whitehead at the 13:05 mark and less then 3 minutes later, Jordan Godwin connects with Darius Goode to bring it in within 1 (AIR FORCE 14, NEVADA 13). Lorenzo Rodgers then hit a 45 yd FG at the 5:01 mark to lead them to a 7 point lead, then at the end of the quarter and before the half, Rogers again hit a FG that was 38 yd out as time expired (AIR FORCE 20, NEVADA 13) 

hqdefault.jpg

K Lorenzo Rodgers on his success

"I knew that those two FG were a sign, I'm a Christian, so i believe in God. I believe God has a reason for everything, when coach told me after I made those two clutch FGs at the end of the half, he told to try to do the same, once i heard those words, i felt like a surge go through my body, like God gave me his powers to be able to do anything I wanted to do, and thankfully It happened the way I hoped and prayed it would".

Third Quarter had Nevada's QB Jordan Godwin now throwing the pick to Jesse Hutchins at the 13:06 mark, followed by a Rodgers 19 yd FG at the 9:08 mark (AIR FORCE 23, NEVADA 13). Then Nevada moved down the field quick and Crow came back with a FG of his own, a 28 yd FG at the 5:12 mark to bring them to a TD score away from tying the game (AIR FORCE 23, NEVADA 16). But right after, at the 2 minute mark exactly, Valentine had his 2nd TD of the game, 8 yd TD to be exact to push Nevada away and that was all in the Third Quarter (AIR FORCE 30, NEVADA 16).

Fourth Quarter started with Amari White inducing a Pick 6 against Kaufman which again put them a TD score away from tying the game (AIR FORCE 30, NEVADA 23). Then Patrick Edmonson, at the 2:11 mark, scored a rushing TD to tie the game in it's waning moments (AIR FORCE 30, NEVADA 30). Then it was Lorenzo Rodgers time.

hqdefault.jpg

"I was nervous, I was not sure in a high pressure situation but the coach told me to calm dowm and relax, let the game come to you, then I felt that surge again, for a second, I thought coach was God hahaha. But I understood what he meant. So I went out there and did what I had to do, cold, sunny day in santa clara and again I felt the surge, so when I felt like Usain Bolt going to kick that ball so they wouldn't block it. And when I kicked that ball, I kicked with as much power as I could, but I knew that might not been enough but the football just kept floating and floating and I thought it would fall before that post, but like I said, God had a reason for everything and I started to believe and the kick.... well, It was good."

Announcer: "And the kick, it's high but does it have the distance, it's going, it's going, it's going, and ITS GOOD OH MY GOD, AIR FORCE JUST WON IT, AND THIS CROWD IS GOING WILD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. WHAT AN AMAZING FG BY RODGERS AND AIR FORCE HAS WON IT"

Game over, Final Score: (AIR FORCE 33, NEVADA 30)

The Aftermath

Even though the Air Force Falcons beat Nevada in a heartbreaker, they couldn't beat California and they lost 33-10. As for the Nevada Wolfpack, they still were able to make the playoffs as the #8 seed but were then swiftly blown out by Clemson 37-10 in the first round of the playoffs.

mqdefault.jpg

ILB Akeel Morris

If you had played better, do you think you guys would’ve won that game?

“Absolutley, no doubt in my mind we would’ve won, our defense had lacked at the start the game which cost us, plus our defense couldn’t hold up. All in all, It was a disappointment and that’s not the way I would’ve wanted to end my CFBHC career”.