Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Soluna

Spotlight Tuesday #1

9 posts in this topic

The first ever game played in CFBHC was a 52-28 victory by the FSU Seminoles over the Syracuse Orange. It featured Christian Skaggs, Nick Hall, Tony Peaks, and David Gaines among others.

I figured for the first Spotlight Tuesday it would be great if everyone that was around in 2013 could feature a bit about their team that year, whether it be a player or an amazing game they had that newer people might not know about.

Additional question: If you were already coaching in 2013, who was your first favorite player? What happened to that player?

My favorite players from 2013 were Spec Davidson and Skip Gibson.  Both were standouts at UGA and continue to have strong NFLHC careers.

The 2013 season felt a lot like an IRL UGA season - close to breaking through, but too many close losses to win the SEC East

neovenator250 and SageBow like this

Week 1, when Soluna posted each game as their own post without spoilers!

Funnily enough, this is also the Week where my favorite non-NFLHC player went fucking nuts. Lenny Cartwright is a Colorado legend, despite being a 3.0/3.0 player. Week 1 was a game against Oklahoma State and future Rome RB in Booker T Washington! And what did Cartwright do?

Lenny Cartwright, COL, 30 for 341 yards, 5 TD

80 Yards, 40 Yards, 11 Yards, 30 Yards, and 56 Yards for his 5 different TDs. The gameplans back then were totally different (IIRC, it was Balanced, Pass Heavy, or Run Heavy). This would be the absolute peak of my tenure at Colorado, but man it was a great way to start it. There was also Lenny's performance in this upset of Oregon in that same year, which is still my biggest upset in my career.

My favorite player is still Blair Williams, who I now coach with the Houston Texans. He was never elite at Colorado, but, along with Keith Hooks, he was the best player on my defense. He played two years under me and was just such a steady force at a position that I consider very important. To this day he is what I look for in an ILB.

I like to personally pretend 2013 did not happen... I only won 3 games that year, despite having a wealth of talent such as all pros Andre Brooks, Darrell Murphy, Brian Gary, and Matt Cowan... the team never seemed to jell. The real fun fact of this team is that Murphy was not the starting quarterback to begin, it was actually Erik Wegert, who had a 2:1 TD: INT Ratio on the season as a sophomore.  However Murphy had a 19:3 TD:INT ratio. Also one of our 3 wins was against Minnesota, starting the tradition of keeping the Axe for extended periods of time in Madison

My favorite player from that team didn't actually develop until later in his career as he was a freshman in 2013, Jon Fiedler, a 3.5 potential WR, he just caught everything and is the all time leader in Receptions, Yds and I believe TDs at Wisconsin... he did not get to the pros 

Since there's probably not a ton about my team I can say that I haven't said before a hundred times, I'll bring up one of my favorites.

I didn't take over until week 8, and my first game was something else. Trace Buchanan ran for 6 TDs and 300 yards against me and I was toast, even with a stunning performance from Ray Lee Coia. In honesty, not a ton happened for me with that team because of how horrifically bad it was generated, but they did manage to pull one stunning performance: 

TCU-Boise State week 3. The elite QB Brian Brown against TCU's porous defense. The result? 

Brian Brown, BSU, 11 of 43 for 86 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT

FINAL SCORE: (1-2) Boise State 7-24 TCU (1-2)

at the time, nobody knew how insane of a performance that was, but they learned. It's also cool because BB did that AND had a 68 yard TD pass. 

Also this is a hilarious statline

Paul Pierce, BSU, 7 for 3 yards, 0 TD

npklemm likes this

2013 was a hilarious year for the Minnesota Golden Gophers. We had three 5.0 players, OJ Carano, Enoch Dickinson, and sophomore Mark Bassett, though our only All-American that year was LT R.W. Pittman. 

Carano was the workhorse, we ran Smashmouth because we had a terrible Alan Watts (3.5) at QB and a mediocre WR corps. The Defense featured Kwazi Robb and Taz Tomlinson, and it wasn't the best unit. 

We had some tricky games in Conference, and a really disappointing out of Conference game with Texas. It wasn't the greatest year, but it certainly taught me a lot about the sim. 

I took over Nebraska in mid-2013.  Was told the position was "cursed" and that every coach had taken the job and then left the site.  Everyone wondered aloud if I'd stick around.

Did pretty well that first year with a 3.5 QB (Pat Bostic) and a 4.5 RB (Keena Kane, who spent several years in Green Bay).  Ran the Option all year.  

I think my favorite thing from back then was the attitude of the people on the site.  It wasn't about "who's the shittiest coach today" all the time.  It was more about player hype.  Or at least that's how it seemed from my perspective.  

Jumbo and FlutieFlakes like this

2 minutes ago, inspiral said:

I picked team that didn't have a schedule so I got to watch everyone else play. There was a Purdue spring game though. I think Air Force had one as well.

Kentucky was in this boat. I remember using a red shirt on senior 5/5 players so I could keep them for 2014