Followers 0
SageBow

[2020] SEC Network Season Preview: LSU Tigers

2 posts in this topic

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/acJ96OAAoQs/maxresdefault.jpgLSU Tigers

2019 Record: (10-3) (6-2)
Conference Finish: SEC West Champions

Key Losses:

OG John Stewart 6-3 299 (Sr) Chalmette (Chalmette, LA) 3.5 of 3.5 [Run Blocking]

OLB Robert Hernandez 6-4 242 (Sr) South Lake (Groveland, FL) 4.0 of 4.0 [Blitz]

CB Eugene Malone 6-0 190 (Sr) Puckett (Puckett, MS) 5.0 of 5.0 [Man Coverage]
CB Ronnie Bailey 5-9 186 (Sr) Gentry (Indianola, MS) 5.0 of 5.0 [Man Coverage]

SS Carter Leavitt 6-1 193 (Jr) Donaldsonville (Donaldsonville LA) 4.5 of 4.5 [Zone Coverage]

Key Returners:

QB Elias Allen-Hollis 6-1 204 (Jr) Donaldsonville (Donaldsonville, LA) 4.0 of 4.0 [Scrambling]

RB Jayden Huff 5-7 213 (Sr) Lake Providence (Lake Providence LA) 4.5 of 4.5 [Speed]

FB Julius Gaston 5-10 210 Sr Danville Community College (Danville, VA) 4.5 of 4.5 [Pass Blocking]

WR Dwayne Maddox 6-2 180 Sr St. Louis Community College-Forest Park (St. Louis, MO) 4.5 of 4.5 [Speed]

OT Brendan Lowe 6-2 260 (So) Westminster Academy (Opelousas, LA) 5.0 of 5.0 [Pass Blocking]

DT Cameron Street 6-2 317 (Sr) Lake Providence (Lake Providence LA) 4.5 of 4.5 [2-Gap]

OLB Alexander Burton 6-1 237 (So) Apalachicola (Apalachicola, FL) 4.0 of 4.5 [Blitz]

FS Jeremy Whitehead 5-11 206 (So) White Knoll (Lexington, SC) 5.0 of 5.0 [Zone Coverage]

K Wyatt Abel 6-1 152 (Jr) Baker (Mobile, AL) 4.0 of 4.0 [Accuracy]

Strengths

Alexander Burton - Rarely is it that a single player is a team's entire strength, but thats just how good the Reaper is. Burton is one of the greatest to ever be a LSU Tiger linebacker, and this is a team that produced the likes of Tyrone Jones and Peyton Roaches. The Reaper had a sensational freshman season in 2019, winning All-SEC honors, SEC Defensive Freshman of the Year, SEC Defensive Player of the Year, and All-American honors. He's absurdly talented and looks to be one of the best players not just in the conference, but in the entire nation for 2020.

Veteran Experience - Elias Allen-Hollis is one of the most underrated quarterbacks in the nation, and the junior leads one of the most talented, experienced offenses college football has ever seen. Senior Jayden Huff balances out the unit, but its the senior trio of Adam Vann, Dwayne Maddox, and Corey Garvin that will be doing the damage down the field. Defensively, mauling nosetackle Cameron Street leads the charge from the front for a very talented defense. Coach McGill is going to have a blast coaching this team of vets.

Weaknesses

Inexperience in the Secondary - The Tigers replaced 3 of their 4 secondary starters last season, and while Eddie Quarless, Clay Vereen, and Emmanuel Hooker are all very talented players, they're not experienced. I say it'll take them a few games to gel into a strong unit around Jeremy Whitehead, so while this group will be very good in the future, I think they'll have some struggles early on.

Mental Pressure - LSU is one of the major contenders for the National Championship, but the pressure may just be overwhelming for some of these players. Some of these guys are just teenagers but they're expected to be major contributors for one of the top teams in the nation. At 19, I struggled cooking my own dinners, but these guys not only have the pressure of high expectations, they also have the weight of Tiger Nation on their shoulders. I sure hope this squad can find mental toughness easily.

Season Expectations
Louisiana knows just how much talent LSU has. Playoff appearance is minimum, but they think this is a title winning team.

Season Prediction
Best case scenario: Perfect season into LSU's second ever National Championship.

Worst case scenario: 8-4. Believe it or not, I think if LSU plays down to their opposition they'll be in a world of hurt against high ceiling teams like Auburn, Bama, Tennessee, and Mississippi State. Its not likely, but its definitely something that could happen.

Realistic prediction: I don't think they'll be an underdog in any game this season. 11-1, dropping a game, but they should be SEC West Champions and are the favorite to win the SEC Championship.

1 hour ago, SageBow said:

Key Losses:

CB Eugene Malone 6-0 190 (Sr) Puckett (Puckett, MS) 5.0 of 5.0 [Man Coverage]
CB Ronnie Bailey 5-9 186 (Sr) Gentry (Indianola, MS) 5.0 of 5.0 [Man Coverage]

SS Carter Leavitt 6-1 193 (Jr) Donaldsonville (Donaldsonville LA) 4.5 of 4.5 [Zone Coverage]

Can you imagine if Malone and Bailey had another year!?!

Also Leavitt leaving early really hurt as there weren't any good in state SS this past year in recruiting and I thought I had another season.