FLAG BEARERS

As the CFBHC season rolls near, it's the Michigan Wolverines led by Head Coach jmjacobs who grab the top spot in the preseason AP poll. Will they remain at the top? Or fall to an unlikely upset?

FOUNTAIN OF YOUTH

Patriots QB Darren Werner gave us a little blast from the past when he threw for 475 yards and 5 touchdowns against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in preseason week 2.

IT'S CROOTIN SEASON

Along with the CFBHC season comes CROOTIN! Time to think, and think and think, and maybe overthink your strategies and then get beat out by Penn State on all of your favorite croots.

ALL HAIL MCQUEEN?

Detroit Lions rookie CB Kevin McQueen has made some noise early in the preseason, recording an interception in both games so far. Have the Lions finally found Keyshawn Thompson a running mate?

HOCKEY COME BACK, WE CAN MAKE IT UP TO YOU

NHLHC fans take to the stands during the NFLHC preseason to beg for an end on the NHLHC Lockout and a return to the ice.
    Chatbox -
    Rome (28197) . Darman (28057) . Soluna (23134) . stormstopper (17521) . npklemm (15738) .

You don't have permission to chat.
      Load More
    Soluna

Q&A Friday #2

47 minutes ago, Soluna said:

In short, unless you want to experiement and with my limited understanding, use route tree with strong receivers and weak quarterbacks, use group assigned with strong quarterbacks and weak receivers, experiment if you're strong at both, and quit if you're weak at both

Very cool! It was great to learn how they attack zone/man coverages and the usage of the slot receiver for each option.

48 minutes ago, Soluna said:

Shout out to the SEC for having a backbone the last few years with their commissioners.

:wub::sec::sec::sec:

1 hour ago, Soluna said:

I think coaching isn't great but is at least acceptable.

#NotAwful

Love seeing these questions get answered. I think it can help newer members or teams in poor positions really find their footing. Can't wait for more of these! :D

2 hours ago, Soluna said:

"What methods would you use to build a smaller school up to a contender?" - Monda

• I feel like this is pretty obvious but it starts with recruiting. The first year or two are extremely critical and I think you shoot for building a baseline of 3.5-4.0 star players while maybe going for only one 5.0 each year, ensuring that you get them. Getting 5.0s consistently is something for a time when you have bowl game recruiting points, not 0-12 points. I've never understood the crap teams that keep trying to shoot for 5.0s to turn the program around. Just build a solid but average team of 3.5 or 4.0s, then go for the much more easily accessible 5.0s when you have 6 points more per week. 

This was my theory when I took over at KSU but people said that was a mistake. I'm glad to see that you think it's the right method. I guess we will see if it works for me over the next couple seasons. 

Loving these! Also I would love coach goals and things that encourage people to stay at one job. Even if there was some sort of small recruiting bonus based on longevity 

1 hour ago, HAFFnHAFF said:

This was my theory when I took over at KSU but people said that was a mistake.

Same. "Lmao, why would you even bother recruiting less than a 4.0 Round 1???" People underestimate the depth and "average" baseline that having 3.5s can create.

There's a lot to unpack and ponder about Soluna's answer to the Route Type question. Route Tree is mentioned to be a bigger threat to Zone, so is Group a bigger threat to Man? This could also be a solid litmus test for QBs in the sim. I've always been one to set and leave these option because I just did not understand it at all, so this gives me way more information to play with.

Also, should we just request you give your thoughts on a division each week now? I feel like the discord Q&A channel is going to have them all posted within the next day anyway.

20 minutes ago, Rome said:

Same. "Lmao, why would you even bother recruiting less than a 4.0 Round 1???" People underestimate the depth and "average" baseline that having 3.5s can create.

I will admit I made some mistakes.  I didn't target anyone 4.0 or up bc I didn't know how recruiting worked and thought I would have more competitions on 3.0 and 3.5s.  But as a program with no recruiting points and no depth I was able to pull in 20 players rated 3.0 or 3.5 on potential.  It at least gave me a building block so I could chase some more talented players in my second season.  

Route Tree relies on high skill receivers and allows audibles to be called on the fly. Receivers are expected to know their role in any play and the potential changes that could be made to that role by the quarterback. Route tree assigned receivers are a much bigger threat to zone coverage. Group assigned reflects that gameplans are not defined by the players but are instead defined by the roles. For instance, third receivers are more geared into slot type routes in the pass heavy offenses regardless of the physical attributes of the receiver themselves. In short, unless you want to experiement and with my limited understanding, use route tree with strong receivers and weak quarterbacks, use group assigned with strong quarterbacks and weak receivers, experiment if you're strong at both, and quit if you're weak at both. In summary, route tree relies on the gameplan being created around the receiver, group assigned around their role independent of the receiver.

My guess is that Group Assigned requires a strong QB to play it effectively, based on my experience cycling through Murphy and Henry using both options. What I haven't figured out is which option is truly best with both being a strong suit; and I'm not sure there is a correct one-size-fits-all answer. I don't know if I'd use Group Assigned with Allan Taylor, for example, even though I would consider him a strong QB.

I feel like this is pretty obvious but it starts with recruiting. The first year or two are extremely critical and I think you shoot for building a baseline of 3.5-4.0 star players while maybe going for only one 5.0 each year, ensuring that you get them. Getting 5.0s consistently is something for a time when you have bowl game recruiting points, not 0-12 points. I've never understood the crap teams that keep trying to shoot for 5.0s to turn the program around. Just build a solid but average team of 3.5 or 4.0s, then go for the much more easily accessible 5.0s when you have 6 points more per week. 

I will 100% vouch for this. The only reason I am not deathly worried for the long-term future of BC is (even though I didn't do an optimal job by far) because I mostly did this here in year one. I know that at a minimum, in two seasons or so most of my defensive core will be playing at a solid level as I have recruited them in this class. We do need some additional top-end talent, but I can at least feel reasonably confident that aside from the places with obvious holes (DT), I can pick which top-end recruits I want rather than just trying to go for the hotshot skill player or a 3.0/5.0 stud.