• Announcements

• Soluna

Upcoming Schedule   05/26/2017

NFLHC Week #8 - May 28/29, then everything resuming as normal the following week. Recruiting due on June 3rd.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bingo415

[2020] Week 5 Power Rankings

2 posts in this topic

seahawks-vs-raiders.jpg

Seahawks-Raiders was a classic head-to-head between top teams with a classic finish

After dropping a week with crazy busy-ness, Bingo is back with a Power Rankings that looks at where teams are now, and whether they'll eventually finish the season higher or lower than where they currently are ranked. Who's gonna rise, fall, or maintain? You be the judge...let us know in the comments. 

Remember, if you don't like where you are in these rankings...play better!

1.     Carolina Panthers

End ranking (compared to now): Lower. Not many other places to go but down. Panthers are on an absolute, 2007 Patriots-level Eff the World tear right now, but the same old questions remain: can they win when it matters?

2.     Green Bay Packers

End ranking: Lower. I think the Packers have been the beneficiaries of some easy scheduling and some awkward defensive game plans. Those things will catch up with them. Jason Johnson is playing completely out of his mind right now, and there’s no way that will continue. Ultimately a playoff team, but not sure they’re a division champ.

3.     Detroit Lions

End ranking: slightly lower. The Lions have two Packer antidotes that others don’t: EJax and Keyshawn. Plus, Lecount has found his rhythm and isn’t turning the ball over. If the Defense stays decently consistent, they’ll win the North and be maybe a 2 seed in the NFC…but that’s big if.

4.     San Francisco 49ers

End ranking: Same. Yep, I figure the Niners luck had to run out some time, and it did bigly against the Cardinals. But I think they’ll snap back, if they keep on with their attack-oriented offense and rather stellar pass defense. I think they’ll finish in the Top 4 at the end of the season.

5.     Los Angeles Rams

End ranking: Higher. I think the Rams are, ultimately, the highest-ceiling team in the NFC, thus the League. Murphy will continue his stellar play back from injury, so the only real question in whether Coach Cricket will trust his gameplan enough to stick with what’s working. I think so, and I think the Rams will win the whole thing.

6.     Seattle Seahawks

End ranking: Slightly Lower. Seattle has played a lot of really tough games already, losing squeakers to the Broncos and Niners, while tripping up the Raiders this past weekend. I think they MAY be the odd-team out in the West, when all is said and done. But still one of the really good teams, if that’s any consolation.

7.     Jacksonville Jaguars

End ranking: Lower. I was surprised the Jags kept it up as long they did, but the dream start had to end at some point, and the OT monster jumped up and bit them. This team does, however, have some staying power, especially in the significantly weaker AFC. Can they hold off the Colts and Texans? I’m guessing one of those teams catches and overtakes Soluna’s men.

8.     Dallas Cowboys

End ranking: Lower. The game against the Eagles was interesting because it highlighted a slight turning point for both teams, in opposite directions. The ‘Boys started out so well, playing a host of lower-tier teams. They’ll come back to the middle a bit, but I think they can still possibly make the playoffs if they win the games they ‘should’ win. Will it be enough to hold off the Eagles? Not sure.

9.     Miami Dolphins

End ranking: Slightly Higher?? Just can’t figure these Dolphins out. The loss to the Texans illuminated a defensive flaw that I didn’t expect to see: a weakness in the short passing game. Miami outplayed the Houston in just about every respect, so that’s why they get the nod here over the Jets. I think the Dolphins are looking at an outside shot at the #1 seed, but probably a 2 or 4.

10. Oakland Raiders

End ranking: Slightly Higher. The Raiders got bum-rushed by an opportunistic Seattle passing game in overtime in what turned out to be less a shock and more a realization that, largely due to some cap casualties, the Raiders just aren’t as dominant as the 2019 version. And that’s ok, they’re still playoff-good, with only a smaller margin for error than last year.

11. New York Jets

End ranking: Same. Initially, I had the Jets at #9 and the Dolphins here (win versus loss on the weekend, ya know), but then I got to thinking about the things the Jets do well (passing game, pass rushing) and what the Dolphins do well (offense in general, creating turnovers). When you look at it like that, the Dolphins seem the safer pick. Throw in the losses for each time (really, the Bills???) and the Jets feel right at #11.

12. Atlanta Falcons

End ranking: Lower.  The Falcons get the two-win boost, despite that they’ve beaten very poor teams and their losses are to only slightly better teams. Atlanta needs to take down a boss, cause right now they are getting through the easy levels and that’s about it. We’ll see where that goes when they get into the rest of their NFC and division schedule.

13. Denver Broncos

End ranking: Slightly Higher? I’m usually not much of a excuse-maker. If my team gets beat, it’s because either the other team played significantly better, or I blew it as a coach. In this case, however, I’m blaming our current standing on 1) a rookie RB with a case of the butterfingers in New England; and 2) a 50-yard kick that DOINKED off the cross-bar versus the defending Super Bowl champs. Broncos will be—barring injury—fine.

14. Houston Texans

End ranking: Higher, slightly. Houston is such a boom or bust team, it’s kind of hilarious. One week, they’ll go out and look like a world-beater and knock off the previously-undefeated Dolphins. Just the week before, however, they get completely shut down by the Broncos. So, I’m guess that Rome, ol’ tinkerer, will eventually settle on a game plan and they’ll start to win consistently. The talent is there…can they catch the Jags and/or hold off the Colts? Maybe. Either way, looking like a #6 seed in the AFC.

15. Cleveland Browns

End ranking: Higher. The Browns bye week hit at the worst time to enjoy their hype. They are starting to put things together, a little bit, and it’s getting pretty exciting in the Mistake by the Lake. Here’s a long shot: the Browns win every remaining division game and go .500 in every non-division game. That equals a playoff team, but how high a seed? I say a solid #3, much like last year’s Ravens.

16. New England Patriots

End ranking: Higher. This team will compete in the East. They’re too talented NOT to. And they have the experience of the playoffs to rely upon down the stretch, but the bouts of inconsistency need to stop. They pounded J.B. Blacknall and the Broncos into submission on the weekend, so I’m guessing they make life interesting for the Dolphins/Jets.

17. Philadelphia Eagles

End ranking: Much Higher. I expect the Eagles to win the East. Not a knock against Dallas, I just think the Eagles have the higher ceiling. It’s taken a small while for Philly to figure out all the game plan minutiae for Allan Taylor and Troy White, but I think they’ve got it now. That win over Dallas was BIG TIME. Says here the Eagles end up the #4 seed in the NFC.

18. Cincinnati Bengals

End ranking: Same. I think the Bengals are properly ranked. They are a solid, if unspectacular team. Joel King has certainly improved, Ron Thomas is running well, and the up-and-down secondary is currently on a swell. So, nothing to loathe, nothing to love. Just a solid team.

19. Indianapolis Colts

End ranking: Much Higher. I think the Colts will turn it around, but this weekend against the Texans is a GREAT litmus test. No one wants to play the Colts and Aaron Shea, so the F.O. needs to have patience that they pull a 180’ and get this ship pointed in the right direction. There’s a lot of football left, and I’ve got them down for the #4 AFC seed (yes, I think they’ll win the South, as it cannibalizes itself).

20. Arizona Cardinals

End ranking: Slightly Lower. The Cards had a great day against the Niners. Everything went right, and the Niners’ usual luck did not shine for them in the valley of the Sun. But I think that was more outlier than trend.  The Cardinals seem just one or two pieces away from a consistently winning outfit, and I think that’s on the offensive and defensive lines. Doesn’t help to play in the best division in football, where every matchup is in the other team’s favor.

21. Washington Redskins

End ranking: Slightly Lower. I’m not really sure what to do with the Skins. They have SOME talent, and it was nice to Javier Fields back in action to get the win. But those wins are gonna be fewer and farther between, given their schedule and lack of depth. Hate to say it, but I think the Skins will fall to the bottom 10 at season’s end.

22. Tennessee Titans

End ranking: Slightly Higher. These guys are playing with fire every time out. They have moments of quite good, and moments where I think LSU might be able to take them. But ultimately, their season hinges on the play of Xander Wiliams. Can he be the consistent QB they’ve desperately lacked? I think so, but playing in the South is just about the worst way to find out. I think the Titans are a 6-7 win club, and that’s good enough for low 20s/high teens. That’s about it.

23. Pittsburgh Steelers

End ranking: Slightly Higher. The Steelers, after so much promise, now look like they’re searching for answers. The Chester Henson trade is looking less one-sided as the losses pile up (well, the Vikes aren’t any better, really) and Davenport is proving mortal. So, where do the Steelers go for answers? They need to reinvest in the a tricky, complex offense that gets Davenport and Henson on the move, utilizing their bevy of speedy ball-catchers. That could be enough to make the North a bit more interesting. Oh, and stop losing to the Ravens.

24. New York Giants

End ranking: Same. Yeah, the Giants are a bit hosed. They needed to win this year, given the contracts they signed in the off-season, but that isn’t happening. And they need to play better defense, like last season. That isn’t happening. OJ Carano has been a battler for a long time, and he’s being completely wasted now. If I were the Giants, I would decide between making a push and finding an actual starting QB via trade, or exploring a complete rebuild by selling off some of their assets on D. Because I think we’re looking at a bottom 10 team at present.

25. Baltimore Ravens

End ranking: Same. I think this Ravens team has the chance to get back into the top tier of the game, but it will take patience and lots of diligent moves by a F.O. that has not always showed the most cleverness. So, right now, I’ve got them finishing in the basement of the North, but not by much. I think the Ravens can win 5 games. That’s about it.

26. Buffalo Bills

End ranking: Lower. Yeah, I think the Bills hit their SEASON PEAK against the Jets in week 2. Maybe I’m a jerk, maybe I’m a pessimist, but I try to call it like I see it. They have a tough schedule coming up (other than the Chiefs and Chargers) and they have very little prospects on Offense other than to give the ball to Dess and try to make Younger a game-manager. So, bottom of the East it is, maybe 3 wins.

27. Minnesota Vikings

End ranking: Slightly Lower?? No idea. Someone posed this in the shoutbox: Vikings slightly above the Bears? But the Bears beat the Vikes. Yeah, and I think they are neck-and-neck for the bottom of the North, 27a and 27b. But the difference is: the Vikes have a chance to score once in a while, unlike the Bears. So what if the defense is rice paper, they at least have Vardell. I think that’s good enough for 3 more wins.

28. Kansas City Chiefs

End ranking: Slightly Higher. Wow, what happened to the Chiefs? They can’t score, they can’t stop people from scoring. They can’t hold on to the ball, and Wheeler’s actually been kinda good. So, what’s going on? Well, it starts in the coaches box, and that change in leadership of the day-to-day has been tough. Now, the players need to gain chemistry and trust that the coach won’t trade them willy-nilly. Mimsy can do good things in time, I’m mostly sure.

29. Los Angeles Chargers

End ranking: Same. Yeah, this seems right, mostly. The Chargers could pull some surprises throughout the season (hopefully not Thursday against the Broncos!!), but I don’t think they’ll win too many more. They knew it was gonna be a long slog, and they’re on track, more or less, for respectability in 2021. That’s gotta be good enough for now.

30. Chicago Bears

End ranking: Slightly Higher. I’m very disappointed in the Bears. They worked their way down here first, so that’s why they’re below the Vikes for the time being. But I think they can pull back up a bit. I know that it’s a tough division with the #2 and #3 teams in this week’s Power Rankings, but the Bears have too good a F.O. to stay down here for the whole season.

31. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

End ranking: Maybe Lower? Bucs have zero clue what to do now. They are trying to start over, but are getting no takers. They are trying the small fixes, but can’t pull the right strings. So, what to do? Push to the end. It isn’t gonna get easier, and they very well may end up on the bottom at season’s end, but they have the talent. Just keep on trying stuff.

32. New Orleans Saints

End ranking: Slightly Higher. The Saints won’t go winless (unlike the Bucs, maybe…), they have three of the best players in the Conference, depending on the day. But…right now, they just can’t get out of their own way. I suppose I have them down for 3 wins. Probably better than the Bucs, but not much better.

smckenz3, Rome, SlinkyJr and 15 others like this

._. I didn't even tinker. The game plan was beat MIA was the same one that lost to DEN. I forgot to post my changes officially, although I think we lose if I had.

bingo415 likes this