Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Soluna

Q&A Friday #3

9 posts in this topic

Awww thanks :) if we're counting full seasons I've been at Wisconsin it is only one less than 10 wins. I went 8-5 with Benny Cunningham in 2017 or so. But if we count all seasons it's 2. Including the 3-9 debacle in 2013

SageBow and bingo415 like this

Just now, bingo415 said:

Thanks for the shout, and thanks for doing these. Hearing from the Godfather is always great.

bingo415 likes this

uh political and historical...differences

>German

>Jew

Takes the low-hanging fruit before [insert site shitposter here] does and says "Many keks", but inb4 that's the joke fam.

I actually think one of the THE most underrated coaches, especially for CFBHC, is taffyowner.... Bingo I also find weirdly underrated

taffy's a pretty damn good GM (some bias here). I think that's actually a lot harder to come by than a good Coach, but I do think taffy gets some credit site-wide among NFLHC peeps for building the Rams roster. Bingo seems to be like someone who downplays his accomplishments in public, and I think that's why he may not have the profile you'd expect either for someone who has done a pretty damn good job.

Secondarily, even though each slider may only have a small impact changing several of them quickly compounds the changes, increases the time it takes for the negative impact to return to zero, but can also catch opposing teams by surprise.

This is what'd I'd expect to hear, but there's a caveat.

Let's say as a hypothetical I run Group Assigned four weeks in a row along with the same Primary and Secondary Schemes. I face the following teams, none of which are missing any major defensive starters when I face them:

Zone-Press-Zone (Second Best Rated Defense)

Zone-Zone-Zone (Third Best Rated Defense)

Man-Zone-Zone (First Best Rated Defense)

Split-Press-Split (Fourth Best Rated Defense)

The passing offense hums wonderfully in games one and four, and seems to struggle in games two and three. My best WR is out in game one, but no other major WR/TE injuries.

What I can't deduce with the information given here, in visual terms, is what coverage schemes a team runs. I can look at a Tampa 2 team and go - yeah that's the same coverage scheme on 95% of passing downs. I can make assumptions that teams with big CBs might Press a little more. 

And this is just the coverage schemes, to say nothing of the rush/blitz schemes, or alignment, or how teams choose to deploy a nickel, etc.. This isn't me whinging for the sake of whinging, and I'm not sure there's anything that can be done about or changed. I think this is, however, part of the frustration and struggles that some coaches on the site. There's a lot that is hidden from view, and that can be pretty damn hard to figure out for some people. I'm not saying that people here are bad or anything, just what I can see as an issue for some coaches trying to progress.

Additionally, and I think this is somewhat restricted by time commitment to the site, planning really does play a major part in success. People who prepare for the draft for 3 weeks tend to do better than those who wing it on the day of. Have a Plan B, a Plan C, never be surprised by anything. If your player sucks for a week, a month, a year stop giving up on them. You're the coach (or the GM), improve their career - you are literally the only thing in the game that can turn a shit player into a good one by sheer force. 

There's part of this I agree with wholeheartedly (planning), and part that I'm not totally sure on (improving a player's career). Planning is absolutely instrumental, and being able to adapt is critical too.

As an example of improving a player, I'll toss out an oft-used example: James Bush. Dude was huge, and a Speed back who put up good numbers at ND. But, for much of his NFL career, he wasn't great at all. Despite having someone with him in the backfield who could do it all, Bush never really lived up to what he could do. Granted... maybe he suffered a bit - that 2015 Jags OL was a disaster, and until Derek Harrison arrived the team never had a highly rated pass catcher. And in some respects, it wasn't just Bush - Ed Latta was awful too. But, he never really got it going no matter what I tried. Would he have done better somewhere else? It's hard to say.

Jumbo likes this

Love it. Always happy to get your opinion on some of these topics like why teams struggle in perpetuity.

Blowing you always wins out.

3 hours ago, Soluna said:

Rome has a rivalry with himself about whether or not he should blow me in the shoutbox

e.g.

48 minutes ago, Rome said:

Always happy to get your opinion on some of these topics like why teams struggle in perpetuity.

caesari, TheTodd15, TheSam and 3 others like this