Soluna

Spotlight Tuesday #3

38 posts in this topic

Time for more stories on this lovely Tuesday!

Who was your first game against? Do you remember it without looking it up? Was it noteworthy? Did you know what you were doing or did you have help from someone else, if so who? Did you find the community interesting, welcoming, intimidating, or anything else?

JBax and UBL like this

First weekend ever, Colorado at Oklahoma State. Cartwright just obliterated OSU. I think Pistol Pete was the user at OSU at the time and he left not long after.

I had no clue what I was doing. I went run heavy that first game and got really lucky. The community was newborn and I don't think anyone had a clue what to do, so it was so fun to watch people learn and evolve. The gameplans were simplistic at the time compared to now, but even then some struggled and some flurished.

CFBHC? I threw for over 400 yards in a west coast offense but played the pass against Chris Bell-led Navy and lost 38-35. Finished 10-4 and #25.

NFLHC? Last min FG win over the Titans the year they made the playoffs, where I was running pro style offense with relatively little input from my GM.

Site in general? The app and coaching course was easy, getting on the interface was not. Really as soon as I found the site which I think was 2 years ago almost to do day, it seemed cool, like more so than other online sims, and thus ended up staying

So, without looking, I couldn't remember if my first game was against Houston or Boise St. Just checked it out, and it turns out it was a 34-17 win over Boise in week 4 of the 2016 season. I'm pretty sure it was one of the last games Kah coached before he fell off the face of the Earth, because I remember him leaving right around that time. Other than that, I remember being excited because it gave me hope that I might actually make a bowl in 2016 (my one goal when I took over Utah was to lead them to a bowl in 2016, and I didn't think I could even do that). At the time, I honestly felt a little bit intimidated by the community since it was very well-established by the time I joined, but it was also pretty welcoming, which is one of the reasons I stayed.

I don't remember my first CFBHC game. But I do remember two games from that end of the 2014 season.

My first win on the site was against Purdue for the Purdue Cannon in a wretched game. Seriously, that game was ass my dude. We only won through a bunch of defensive and special teams scores - the offense didn't score from what I remember. But it lead to some decent banter with Inspiral, so that was nice. 

The other game, and if I recall correctly the last one, was against Boise State in Champaign. We lost something lke 63-0. But Boise State had some guy named Brian Brown at QB, and he suffered a season-ending injury. That injury substantially impacted the history of this site, both in CFBHC and NFLHC.

I found the community interesting. I didn't have a lot of help gameplanning, but I tried doing the best with that I had. I remember the 2015 coach rankings and I ended up somewhere like 10th on that list, so I suppose I figured something out.

My first game was against Houston on a thursday night like halfway through the 2016 season. I remember it because I got the Indiana job like the day of the game or like the day before and Tuscan tried to wish me luck but I was a little shit and tried to talk trash but it was something awful like " I hope I destroy you." I had no idea what I was doing. I don't even think I gameplanned or even knew how to gameplan. I lost but it was close ( just looked it up. 28-13. Not as close as I thought.) and I think we scored the most points we've scored in a game so far so I was more excited than I should've been after a loss. 

My first game was against Slaughterhouse-Five and the Colorado State Rams, led by Devin Conroy and Jeremy Scarborough (how could I forget my first game?). I legit went into that game without help, just with my own patched up gameplan. Walt went off for the first time as a Chippewa, and the defense, despite giving up 400 yards in the air and letting Scarborough have a field day, held on just enough for us to capture a 31-28 win. The reaction was pretty wild at the time, I thought, because CMU was just coming off a 1-11 season and had lost to UNM at the start of the year (yes, THAT Viva Los Lobos). 

The community seemed to be quite welcoming at the time, and I thoroughly enjoyed it despite being a little on the quiet side at first. After the win, I started to come out of my shell a bit. I would think that, had the community not been as appealing as I found it to be then, I wouldn't have enjoyed myself as much as I do now.

My first game was week 11 2017.  I had taken over the 0-8 Texas A&M Aggies and went to Fresno to take on the Sam Hiller-Weeden lead Fresno State Bulldogs.  I had been recommended to the site by @vtgorilla and I remember we worked together at the time so I set up a meeting with a generic title to get a rundown on gameplanning.  Anyway - the game ended up being a shootout where Matty Swift threw for nearly 500 yards, Jank had like 15 catches for 250 yards, and pros Alex Gash and Jason McClairen also had pretty huge games as well.  I ended up losing the game 38-35 or something like that, I guess the defense I ran was different than what the computer ran.  Everyone seemed really nice at the time.  The reaction to the game was kind of funny because A&M being coach-less for so long, and then putting up performances like that made them the talk of the night.

The next week I think I played UCF who was like 8-1 at the time and ended up getting the victory...   

HAFFnHAFF and vtgorilla like this

I had to look it up, because the most memorable openers (a couple seasons in a row) were versus the Franz-led UGA Dawgs....Minnesota and Georgia had some great battles in 2013 and 2014. Then, the next most common OOC opponents are Texas (sumbitches spoiled a great start in 2015); Boston College (split a series a while back, losing to Leshoure big-time); and Temple (I love that Alien schedules coaches more than he does opposing schools...very cool).

But...first game--16-3 win at Rice (led by OwlMan at the time). Carano went 21 for 99 and touch, Dave Stokley had two picks and 9 tackles. Freaking Alan Watts crapped the bed to 140 yards or so, and Kwazi Robb had 11 tackles. That first year (2013) was NOT a good roster nor a good year for MN, but we figured it out in 2014 a little bit better. 

OwlMan was a Penn State student, or former student, and I was actually in State College one weekend in 2013 for work...we threatened to meet up, but he never showed. Weird. Must be something about those Penn State guys.. :)

21-13 at Oregon on Thursday night to open up the 2014 season (and I think it was Cade's first game too). Without looking it up, I think James Otero had 174 yards rushing and 2 touchdowns (53 and 32 yards, if I recall correctly) and Christopher Brooks had something like 85 yards and a rushing touchdown (I wanna say 45 yards). I wrote a small article about the game afterward that I'll have to find that is now linked. It wasn't a noteworthy game at the time, but I remember that a few people were surprised at Kansas winning--until they saw my roster with guys like Otero, Brooks, James Johnson, and Robert Medina. Even then, I think Neo might've been the only one who thought Kansas was going to do anything close to what we did that year--even I thought we were going to cool down.

I don't recall if I had any help, but I didn't really know what I was doing at first. I read the descriptions for all the schemes, sure, but I was pretty lucky that it worked as well as it did.

It actually took a while for me to really participate in the community. I missed recruiting deadlines in 2013, and it wasn't until after Rome sent me (and a few others) a PM alerting me that the 2014 season was about to start that I started coming in more often. It wasn't until a couple weeks into the season that I started participating regularly in the shoutbox and writing media--and seeing the win column tick up every week sure didn't do anything to stop me from being drawn in. But regardless, people always had encouraging things to say, and gradually I learned how to fit in here. I don't remember what point I stopped feeling like the newish guy and started feeling like one of the regulars, but the fact that the transition was essentially seamless and natural says a lot of good things about this community. And now y'all are stuck with me!

Edit: James Otero had 185 yards, not 174. But he did have two touchdown runs of 53 and 32 yards while Christopher Brooks had 85 yards that included a 45-yard touchdown run.

smckenz3 and ImposterCauster like this

The first game I coached was week 4 of the 2017 CFBHC season against rival Air Force. I used the base gameplan left by Cardiac, but I didn't exactly know what I was doing. Still one of the most memorable games --if not the most--I've been apart of. Last second FG to send the game to OT, game ended up going into triple overtime, Bell rushed for 150 yards and 3 touchdowns including the game-winning TD. That put Navy at 3-0 to start the season, their best start ever until the next season eclipsed that. I can't imagine having a better first game. 

The community was and is still awesome. 

5 minutes ago, stormstopper said:

21-13 at Oregon on Thursday night to open up the 2014 season (and I think it was Cade's first game too). Without looking it up, I think James Otero had 174 yards rushing and 2 touchdowns (53 and 32 yards, if I recall correctly) and Christopher Brooks had something like 85 yards and a rushing touchdown (I wanna say 45 yards). I wrote a small article about the game afterward that I'll have to find. It wasn't a noteworthy game at the time, but I remember that a few people were surprised at Kansas winning--until they saw my roster with guys like Otero, Brooks, James Johnson, and Robert Medina. Even then, I think Neo might've been the only one who thought Kansas was going to do anything close to what we did that year--even I thought we were going to cool down.

I don't recall if I had any help, but I didn't really know what I was doing at first. I read the descriptions for all the schemes, sure, but I was pretty lucky that it worked as well as it did.

It actually took a while for me to really participate in the community. I missed recruiting deadlines in 2013, and it wasn't until after Rome sent me (and a few others) a PM alerting me that the 2014 season was about to start that I started coming in more often. It wasn't until a couple weeks into the season that I started participating regularly in the shoutbox and writing media--and seeing the win column tick up every week sure didn't do anything to stop me from being drawn in. But regardless, people always had encouraging things to say, and gradually I learned how to fit in here. I don't remember what point I stopped feeling like the newish guy and started feeling like one of the regulars, but the fact that the transition was essentially seamless and natural says a lot of good things about this community. And now y'all are stuck with me!

Edit: James Otero had 185 yards, not 174. But he did have two touchdown runs of 53 and 32 yards while Christopher Brooks had 85 yards that included a 45-yard touchdown run.

:( yeah this is all factual

I passed the ball like 60 times with a 3.5 potential scrambler against Minnesota because I saw he'd passed for a school record against Purdue when I was trying to find the best players on the team. It went terribly, i think i lost 49-0 or something like that.

had to look it up. my first game was not all that memorable looking back.  It was Browns @ Raiders and I won 28-17 in a fairly back and fourth affair.  The 3 players from my team that made the defense stat line are all still starters in the league, but none of them are still on my team. 

I remember my first game at Temple because it was my newly generated shit show of a roster against Penn State, who I believe had just lost the National Championship to Oklahoma.  I got demolished by like 50 points.

my QB put up this stat line:

Alvaro Jorgensen, TEM, 4 of 20 for 18 yards, 0 TD, 4 INT

can you believe I actually managed to score 17 points with a line like that? all because of the legend Ricky Lewis:

Ricky Lewis, TEM, 15 for 102 yards, 2 TD

ImposterCauster and smckenz3 like this

Cfbhc: My first game was against Auburn in week 8 of 2015 and I lost 14-31. I did not get a single win until the following year on week 4 vs. UConn a game that ended in a 27-24 OT win for the cyclones. I looked it up, I honestly did not give a rats ass about my team back then since of how bad the were. I would not have a winning conference record until 2018 when I went 5-2 but for those first 3 years my conference record was a megar 2-19. Thats why I would rather not remember those years.

My first game was against cmcgill's Kentucky wildcats in 2014. I'm pretty sure it was his first game too. In any case we got destroyed, Kentucky had Javier Fields and Robert Medina on their team while my best player was a 4.0/4.5 strong safety who transferred in from Florida.

I definitely tried to gameplan on my own that game, and it was bad. I vaguely remember trying to have a balanced defense while Kentucky threw a ton. Afterwards I got some help from Sophos, who gave me a couple of pointers and I ended up beating AJJ and UNC a couple games later for my (and Vandy's!) first win ever.

My first game was in 2014 and featured  BYU vs Taffy's Wisconsin team. I remember asking in the shoutbox the night before if anyone thought I could win the game, only to get a "lol no" response from Sophos. I got blown the fuck out the next day...

stormstopper likes this

Week 9, 2013. Against FSU (lead by none other than Christian Skaggs and Tony Peaks). Didn't do terribly. Lost 14-27 while not letting the FSU offense explode like it really should have.

I would get my first win a couple weeks later over Georgia Tech.

I wasn't that active at the time, and I didn't really try to get help from the community, but I do remember enjoying talking with everyone whenever I would get on.

BTW Ted, I used to hate you back in those days. You used to be my least favorite member lmao

LA Tech Vs. Iowa State, got obliterated by Pacheco, We lost 55-14, Defense was horrible. All of it is my fault however, never being active earlier hurt me because I would never ask questions, so I had very little idea how set up a gameplan against a average team, let alone the #18 ranked team in Iowa State. Community has always been welcoming/interesting, so much shit has been said but we've still somehow have no problem with each other which is amazing to me.

bellwoodbomb611 likes this

2014 Week #1 my Kentucky team went to Vanderbilt (I had to look it up and I have no idea who was Vandy's coach at the time)

Javier Fields threw for 343 yards, 3TDs, and 0 INTs, but of that Austin Medina had 13 catches for 205 yards and 3 TDs. Looking back I way over-relied on rating that season when game planning. I had Fields, Medina, and Derrick Schwartz in the passing game but I also had 5/5 RB Kenneth Farr who was just awful. That first game Farr did okay (13 for 56 yards, 1 TD) but that passing attack was amazing from the start and I think if I hadn't tried to use Farr as much I could have given Fields a better single college season. 

My first ever game is still the crowning moment of my career.  I took over Kansas State in week 4 of the 2018 season.  Upon advice from the shoutbox I inserted the FB Dylan Stewart into the starting lineup as my HB.  We were hosting the undefeated #23 ranked, Joel King led, Houston Cougars.  I chose smashmouth as my offense (everything but my FB and RB sucked) and took down Houston in a shootout.  We won 38-35.  Aiden Higgins complete 4 passes for 28 yards but Dylan Stewart carried the ball 31 times for 205 yards and 3 TDs.

It was at that moment that I was a genius and I might actually be able to do something with this team.  Until I lost to Louisiana Tech the next week.  And went on to lose every game the rest of the season.

We almost had knocked off another undefeated team later in the year when we played #3 TCU.  But @DangerZoneh's boys survived on a missed Martin Kay FG, which is the closest I have ever been to winning a conference game.

My first season was a half season at Akron and it was not memorable because we SUCKED MAJORLY. So I basically remember very little of that season other than I had some success running the pistol compared to the shit I inherited. The most memorable part of that season is somehow beating Kent State for my first win of the year and starting off perfect against my rivals. Recruiting however was a great time that year, and I will never forget a lot of the guys I recruited there even if their careers turned out a little less than I hoped for (Looking at you T.J. Zamora).

I remember I was a bit intimidated and confused by the community at first, probably compounded by the fact I had never really been part of a majorly forum based game of any kind before, but after I hung out in the shoutbox for awhile they quickly grew on me and haven't stopped since. 

I don't remember NFLHC. 

CFBHC it actually has a kinda funny backstory.  I played an AI Auburn, but the funny backstory about that was Auburn was run by Rome, the person who brought me into the site with a post on some subreddit somewhere, but like immediately after he did that he quit the site.  Pretty funny stuff.  In no surprise I lost.  I had no idea what I was doing, but ever since then I usually get help with my gameplan with a bunch of coaches.  

My first game was the first week of the 2016 season and it was between two god awful teams: Rice and Indiana. I won 14-13 after my RB Kwendi Nkwenti caught like a 20 yard TD with a couple seconds left in the game. Great game. I then lost the other 11 games that season. Nkwenti has been my favorite player since then. He's in free agency right now and I really considered signing him to play on special teams but decided not to be a homer. The site was very welcoming, I was one of the people that came in the New Years Eve group so I wasn't the only person around trying to figure everything out.