Soluna

CFBHC Politics

CFBHC Politics   60 members have voted

1. 1. How do you want politics to work on this site?

• Moderators in charge of work Soluna needs, Inactivity Council as popular vote with terms to remove "falsely" active members
    • Combine moderators/inactivity council to vet changes proposed by Soluna and elected by popularity.
    • Combine moderators/inactivity council to vet changes proposed by Soluna, act as the inactivity council, and be elected from groups/parties that set out a clear goal.
    • Other, please post in the thread.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 posts in this topic

This is less of an announcement and more for a call of ideas.

I want to take some work load off of me in combination with giving you guys some more interesting/fun things to do.

I want the inactivity council elections to take place in a few days/weeks but I wanted to see how you guys wanted to organize. Do you just want a popularity contest or do you want people to band into semi-serious "parties"? If you do want some people with parties I would be willing to let election stuff combine with current conference commissioners that then will allow and approve any new features. Parties could, for instance, be pro/against realism in the sim, pro/against expansion/advertising, pro/against roleplaying.

Let me know what you want so I can get stuff tidy and organized.

Monda and Darman like this

As fun as "parties" would be for memes and shitboxing I think it just adds unnecessary complexity and doesn't serve the goal of simplifying Soluna's work load.

I like the idea of electing an "Inactivity Council" that makes those subjective calls regarding those grey-area inactive coaches. I do, however, think there would need to be rules regarding how many votes it would take to remove a coach in a subjective call (unanimous or at least a higher percentage than a simple majority).

I like the mod situation as it's currently set up and wouldn't mind any overlap between the mods and IA Council.

2 minutes ago, DStack11 said:

As fun as "parties" would be for memes and shitboxing I think it just adds unnecessary complexity and doesn't serve the goal of simplifying Soluna's work load.

I like the idea of electing an "Inactivity Council" that makes those subjective calls regarding those grey-area inactive coaches.

I like the mod situation as it's currently set up and wouldn't mind any overlap between the mods and IA Council.

Fine with me, I just know people dislike the popularity aspect of votes and parties would be some enjoyment some people could have that most others don't even need to care about.

Doesn't matter to me, neither is any extra or less work. I don't care strongly either way.

DStack11 likes this

Second Dstack, I used to play a game called Cybernations were players where encouraged to join Alliances, all of which had their own governments, councils etc. 

One Alliance I was in had a political party type system that, while I wouldn't go as far as say it backfired tremendously, it wound up being an inconvenience. 

It started off as a tongue in cheek kind of thing as described (This was about nine years ago, can't quite remember what the original lynch pin would be) but new members where recruited for certain parties by stuff like "We have snacks, etc." Yet when it came to voting for elected leaders, suddenly the groups who had little private meme forums suddenly became very supportive of the particular candidates they liked, usually a big leader of a party or someone popular within the party. I'm remember one instance where the minister of defense race was between someone who had an excel-laden, prove defense plan and could basically coordinate a war effort within minutes and guy who was basically just a beloved shitposter came down to the wire, mostly due to party support/friendships etc.

Parties, especially in a community of give or take 150~ would most likely create a system that causes more grief than benefits. It could also have the potential to get nasty when it comes down to deciding if a member stays in their coaching job or not. Best to just have a committee as neutral as possible handle that. 

UBL likes this

If you're asking us which version of the witch hunt system I prefer, I'd say none of the above.  

My concern is that this will turn CFBHC into a de facto popularity contest, moreso than it already is.  The winners get to sit on the council, with whatever ancillary benefits come with it, the losers risk banishment on top of their already shit existence being from constantly shit on in the shoutbox and the anxiety associated with making ANY decision in this game as a result of said treatment.

I understand the need for mods, and I fully support that.  There are people here who pull a lot more than their own weight, and they have my gratitude.   It's the idea of an inactivity council and the slippery slope that it represents that I take issue with.   There has to be a better way of handling this problem.

I have no better suggestion, and I know it's a tough situation as there are people waiting on vacancies to open up.  

4 hours ago, johnkirk said:

Second Dstack, I used to play a game called Cybernations were players where encouraged to join Alliances, all of which had their own governments, councils etc. 

One Alliance I was in had a political party type system that, while I wouldn't go as far as say it backfired tremendously, it wound up being an inconvenience. 

It started off as a tongue in cheek kind of thing as described (This was about nine years ago, can't quite remember what the original lynch pin would be) but new members where recruited for certain parties by stuff like "We have snacks, etc." Yet when it came to voting for elected leaders, suddenly the groups who had little private meme forums suddenly became very supportive of the particular candidates they liked, usually a big leader of a party or someone popular within the party. I'm remember one instance where the minister of defense race was between someone who had an excel-laden, prove defense plan and could basically coordinate a war effort within minutes and guy who was basically just a beloved shitposter came down to the wire, mostly due to party support/friendships etc.

Parties, especially in a community of give or take 150~ would most likely create a system that causes more grief than benefits. It could also have the potential to get nasty when it comes down to deciding if a member stays in their coaching job or not. Best to just have a committee as neutral as possible handle that. 

Oh God someone else who played Cybernations.

I hope you got out long before I did.

1 hour ago, smokingcricket said:

Oh God someone else who played Cybernations.

I hope you got out long before I did.

Wheres the cyber nations recovery center? 

Oh my God, I'm not the only one. I thought it was a tiny subset of international politics obsessed teenagers. 

I actually started off pretty early in the game and hopped in and out of the game until about six years ago. I poked around on the forums recently for old times sake. Good God what a ghost town. 

And of course, NPO has survived all this time. Assclowns. (No offense if either of you were in it).