Free Agency: Finding a New Home

Thomas Wheeler, Eddie McFadden, and Ron Rice are just some of the names looking for a new house to defend when NFL free agency begins next week.

Purple & Gold

LSU claims the #1 spot after a machine-like victory of Auburn.
Soluna

Improvement Thursday #5

Please provide ideas for stuff you think the website needs most immediately whether it relates to the site or sim. Keep in mind cost of time to create anything you suggest.

What would you like to see? Integration wise, additions, features, etc.

I would like conference commissioners to PM me (NOT INSPIRAL) When they approve someone. It's not like it's hard to check the application thread, but when we had a mass joining due to the Reddit ad, it was somewhat difficult, and I feel bad if I miss someone because I want them to get interface access as soon as possible.

Especially since I'm gonna be away from the shoutbox for a while (and for people who don't shoutbox) and so we don't get the same questions about when games are etc, it would be nice to have something even if it is just in the status updates, that would like say if things are delayed or important upcoming dates

4 minutes ago, paperllamasunited said:

I would like conference commissioners to PM me (or perhaps inspiral or whoever else does interface request acceptances, perhaps Bingo?) When they approve someone. It's not like it's hard to check the application thread, but when we had a mass joining due to the Reddit ad, it was somewhat difficult, and I feel bad if I miss someone because I want them to get interface access as soon as possible.

Do not PM me. I asked the commissioners do it is because I don't want to do it.

A more expansive WR depth chart.  A lot of coaches put their "slot" WR 3rd or 4th in the depth chart, which would make that WR the slot man when everyone is starting and playing their normal role.  But if my WR1 needs to rest for a play, I've now got my 5'9" "slot WR" bumped up to WR2 (which is presumably more of an outside role)

TL;DR: denote slot WRs, outside WRs, etc, similar to 3rd down back.

Just now, Franz Kafka said:

A more expansive WR depth chart.  A lot of coaches put their "slot" WR 3rd or 4th in the depth chart, which would make that WR the slot man when everyone is starting and playing their normal role.  But if my WR1 needs to rest for a play, I've now got my 5'9" "slot WR" bumped up to WR2 (which is presumably more of an outside role)

TL;DR: denote slot WRs, outside WRs, etc, similar to 3rd down back.

Actually, the NFLHC depth chart has some expansions already... and doing specific WR depth and the corresponding Cornerback designation (choosing who plays Nickel); I like this.

I assume that using Group Assigned tries to default some of this for you, but the specific designation would be neat.

20 minutes ago, Darman said:

Especially since I'm gonna be away from the shoutbox for a while (and for people who don't shoutbox) and so we don't get the same questions about when games are etc, it would be nice to have something even if it is just in the status updates, that would like say if things are delayed or important upcoming dates

Yeah, I could get behind a calendar or sorts. Good idea, hope not too difficult.

Interface for NFLHC roster moves instead of forum cutting/pasting.

Includes Free agency, where I can submit offers directly on the interface and other teams' offers are automatically loaded so we can see them.

Trades completed via interface as well.

For the website itself, a front page update box that lists when the next games are expected.  Does anyone realize how many times per day the shoutbox is loaded with, "when are games?" Or "when is the recruiting deadline?"

As much as I hate to say it, I would prefer that the other sports be put on hold indefinitely.  I love NHLHC.  Basketball is cool as a distraction.  I know others enjoyed SHC.  But the driving force of this website is the college game, along with it being a feeder for the NFL game.  I'd really like to see the efforts of Soluna and Inspiral not spread too thin with the other stuff.  I know there is some enjoyment for them from those, but they do play into the overall time commitment and I know over time that wears on anyone.  If their efforts were not stretched to the other games, perhaps there would be more time and energy to pump into the Cfbhc and nflhc games, or just more enjoyment of the site for them.  Only they could answer that though.

Edited by pumph

16 minutes ago, pumph said:

As much as I hate to say it, I would prefer that the other sports be put on hold indefinitely.  I love NHLHC.  Basketball is cool as a distraction.  I know others enjoyed SHC.  But the driving force of this website is the college game, along with it being a feeder for the NFL game.  I'd really like to see the efforts of Soluna and Inspiral not spread too thin with the other stuff.  I know there is some enjoyment for them from those, but they do play into the overall time commitment and I know over time that wears on anyone.  If their efforts were not stretched to the other games, perhaps there would be more time and energy to pump into the Cfbhc and nflhc games, or just more enjoyment of the site for them.  Only they could answer that though

^^ This... I would love to see the football aspects streamlined and go deeper and have less of the side things going on. I think it could help enrich the football leagues if this were the case. 

I would also love to see the same gameplans for college and NFL 

I dont know how hard to incorporate this it would be, or the practicality of it, but have scheduling on the interface, only a more complex version of it. 

Obviously conference games are set by rotation and such, and those could be locked in from the get go. After that, OOC games could be agreed upon between two teams like currently, only with customization of when the game would happen. So, for example, if Iowa State and I share week 4 as an open date, and we want to schedule to play each other yearly for week 4, we can schedule that. 

It would lead to a more customized schedule, and would potentially finish the structure of the schedule earlier.

The issues I could foresee though include potentially overloading the amount of total games in a week, so yould have to limit Who could play when, which could limit potential OOC matchups. 

Not sure if it's an option or been covered but expanded box scores.  We don't always see everyone who records a tackle or sack but it would be nice to see all those plus track rookies who's stats get overshadowed by veteran production.  Plus things like red zone efficiency and time of possession.

Add a short yardage goal line back - Something fun where teams could put a big DL as RB or FB.

For college recruiting, it would be interesting to add recruits more than the current year.  While recruiting for the current year, you could also get recruits a year younger and be able to get a verbal commitment.  This could lead to players to de-commit once they get to the current year and then either re-commit or commit to another school.

5 minutes ago, pumph said:

For the website itself, a front page update box that lists when the next games are expected.  Does anyone realize how many times per day the shoutbox is loaded with, "when are games?" Or "when is the recruiting deadline?"

Not to add work to whoever would/could do this, this would be easy i think for someone other than Soluna himself to do. I think all he would have to do would be to give Mods/commishs permission to edit this part of the site. good idea imo.

As for the sim, i'm not sure how difficult it would be, but what if we added a weekly practice bonus in our gameplans?
We could have an offense Practice and a Defense Practice. It could be as deep or basic as you wanted to make it, for example, a simple version could be at the bottom of the weekly gameplan:
Weekly Defense Practice: Run Defense(2%), Balance(1% both), Pass Defense(2%)

If you wanted to make it more complex, you could add options like LB coverage options, Secondary Tip drills, RB pass blocking, etc. These would be weekly bonuses that wouldn't last or contribute to progressions. This could add a little bit of depth to game planning against opponents.

Special teams stats, even if just team stats like average punt and kick returns.  That would really help make special teams an actual part of the game.

Also bye weeks meaning more than just a week without a game.  Scheme changes over bye weeks should have a lesser penalty than changing during a normal week.  If this is already happening, that is not the way it was described to me, (sorry).

Lastly (things keep popping into my head)... a giant forum cleanup.  Navigiating this site is extremely daunting for newer players, and hell, many experienced ones as well.  The search function is hit or miss, and usually too much hit, giving you way too many results to really help you find what you want.  There has to be a better way of filing away some old stuff, but making the pertinent stuff front and center for everyone.

Kicker records from previous years were always hard to find. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places but the stat books do not keep track of extra points attempted and extra points made. I've had to go by a week by week forum search just to find all of my games. 

Games and news reports are kind of hard to find in the forums. If you don't know the network or time that a team plays I find myself clicking on 4 different forum threads just to get to the one I need. Maybe a player search in the forums can help fix the issue? For example if you need to find out if a certain player has won player of the week there isn't a Wikipedia page for NFLHC players of the week, so just to find out for player wiki data I have to then go through every weeks player voting from the beginning. 

If there were a way to get UDFAs to shine a bit more, it would be cool. Every year IRL theres a bunch of udfas who end up as impact players for their teams, and on here they basically only make up the 52nd or 53rd guy on a roster and the practice squad, and after 2 years are never heard from again. I get that this is the reality for a lot of irl udfas, but i just feel like we don't have that hit rate for them that the nfl does. I'm not sure how to implement that though. Maybe we have something like minicamp for just rookies, and each team privately finds out something like "Aaron Ayala has a bad drop rate" or "Aaron Ayala excels at returning kicks" or "Julius Thomas has been getting reps at WR as requested by Offensive Coordinator Mike Tice", which could add value to the OC/DC positions. "Mike Tice told me Juilus Thomas could play WR, but he has 11 drops through 3 games? He also told me Charles Perez was looking great and could see starting time, but our OL has been shit with him starting and our interior has allowed 8 sacks to DTs? Maybe it's time to reevaluate Mike Tices position with the team." Or that could be an entire training camp thing and include veterans. This sounds like a lot of work though, so withiut high demand it might be a non necessary thing to implement.

I also think we should have 46 man active rosters in nflhc, with 7 gameday inactives, it keeps it more realistic.

For me, I think it would be neat to have a way to encourage coaches to have long tenures at one school. It really builds up the histories and schools, and it's especially important to build up the smaller schools. Small bonuses to recruiting would be a good way to create incentive. Maybe sometime like an extra point every two seasons until you reach like 4 or 6 seasons and then you get one extra point per season but obviously there'd be a cap. Or maybe the ability to pipeline or camp a state of your choice after like 5 seasons to show that you're building up recruiting in other regions of the country. Just spit-balling.

Just to echo some of the other sentiments expressed here:

• Expansion of game reports/stats for CFBHC/NFLHC. I think we can all agree that would be amazing
  • Having NFLHC game plan options for CFBHC (2 RB & Split Coverage PLS!)
  • Love the calendar idea. Shoutbox announcements seem to do more harm than good and cause a ton of annoy, repeated follow-up questions by people like me who don't hang out in the SB often.

I understand there is a finite amount of time & energy that Soluna and the mod team can put into this site. With that in mind (and as others have said), personally I'd prioritize these improvements to the current CFBHC/NFLHC sims over the expansion of any of the other sim games. It does pain me to say that because I do enjoy NHLHC and CBBHC, but I'm here for the football.

6 hours ago, ZackTyzwyz said:

For me, I think it would be neat to have a way to encourage coaches to have long tenures at one school. It really builds up the histories and schools, and it's especially important to build up the smaller schools. Small bonuses to recruiting would be a good way to create incentive. Maybe sometime like an extra point every two seasons until you reach like 4 or 6 seasons and then you get one extra point per season but obviously there'd be a cap. Or maybe the ability to pipeline or camp a state of your choice after like 5 seasons to show that you're building up recruiting in other regions of the country. Just spit-balling.

Really like the idea of incentivizing coaches to stay in one spot.  I can't stand that people get a bad recruiting class or graduate some key players, and jump ship.  But more importantly, some schools are doormats mainly because no one stays there.  There is a revolving door of people who stay just a couple of months and people that go inactive, and those programs have zero chance of being competitive, which skews the competitive balance of the entire college game.  Sure, in real life there are some doormat programs, but at least every new coaching hire comes with the promise and stability that this time, things are going to change.  In our game, these doormat programs are just short-term placeholders until the coach can either find a better job or goes inactive.  And I bet that a lot of them go inactive because they don't see any light at the end of the tunnel, and just decide to quit.

Maybe a tiered recruiting point bonus system, giving any returning coach extra points:

New Coach: +3 Bonus (the hype of a new coach, brings optimism for the program)

2nd Year: +3 Bonus

3rd Year: +2 Bonus

Subsequent Years: +1 Bonus (it caps at 10)

Anytime someone changes schools, this resets for them.

To make sure this doesn't spread things out too much right now, and actually widen the gap between programs, every team on the day of implementation of this system would be considered a new coach, but receive no immediate bonus, so that long-time coaches would not immediately get an advantage over those who moved around before this was implemented.

Also perhaps these "doormat" programs (We'll say any school that went 3-9 or worse) could be allowed to schedule 1 FCS opponent per season to help them get an extra win.  FCS wins though should only count as 0.25 wins for the JUCO recruiting points formula.

Additionally, I think long-tenured coaches, because their roots tend to spread, should receive a 2nd pipeline state after their 3rd season with the same team.  This gives a small bonus for sticking around, yet it's not an overwhelming one.  This second pipeline selection would receive the same bonuses as the current system, and would still need to border (or be) the school's home state.

10 hours ago, HAFFnHAFF said:

^^ This... I would love to see the football aspects streamlined and go deeper and have less of the side things going on. I think it could help enrich the football leagues if this were the case. 

I would also love to see the same gameplans for college and NFL 

Yeah I'd rather close the site.