[2020] South Carolina Gamecocks Week 2 Post Game Press Conference

5 posts in this topic

Week 2 South Carolina Gamecocks Press Conference

Final Score

#16 Vanderbilt Commodores - 27 (2-0)

@

South Carolina Gamecocks - 13 (0-2)

spurrier_resign_444

"Dropping your first two games as a head coach is always rough, I came into this year knowing that we could put almost any team in the SEC on upset alert. I think we were in striking distance against Georgia, but our offense hasn't been able to find the endzone as much as I would like us to. We finally have Milo throwing the ball to the right team most of the time, but it just seems like we're a few more games with this young group together before they really take off together. But there are always positives to take away from a game like this, we had a big performance from our linebacking core, who have really taken a leadership role on that side of the ball. We were also able to keep the ball out of Jordan Tucker's hands, who took over against Oregon. I'm proud of my team to keep him off the stat sheet. The amount of penalties we had this game were absolutely ridiculous, and that is a big problem we need to nip in the bud before it becomes a big problem. Facing two ranked opponents back to back can really tire out the guys, who really played their hearts out. I'm proud of them.

Looking forward to next week against UMass, this is really where I see the turning point of this season. We have two more games at home to really turn this ship around, and get some momentum before we go into Texas A&M and Florida, which I think will match up well against us. SEC play is where we have to make a difference, I know that this program has been dying to get back bowling. Those two games will be key.

I'm hoping Milo Condon can find his comfort zone against UMass. So far this year he's done a good job of not turning the ball over, but now I'm hoping to see his full potential. Milo and Sean McDermott have been spending a lot of extra time after practice working on routes and I think it will be showing off this next week.

The floor is now open for questions."

SageBow, Associated Press

Sean (McDermott) and Kenny (Ames) are the two major weapons for this offense. From your perspective, do these two need to get the ball more, or do the pieces around them need to step up and play better?

Hagan likes this

3 minutes ago, SageBow said:

SageBow, Associated Press

Sean (McDermott) and Kenny (Ames) are the two major weapons for this offense. From your perspective, do these two need to get the ball more, or do the pieces around them need to step up and play better?

I think this week Kenny had the ball plenty of times. I know that Vandy is a tough opponent but failing to get into the end zone is unacceptable. Sean and Milo were averaging around 20 yards a catch this week. Dave Bruce and Keith Royal only had one catch each but they were both 20+ yard snags. Sean has proven that he can make those big catches we need, but my main concern has been Condon's shotty past with INT's. I don't want to be putting more responsibility on him before he's ready. That's why I think next week against UMass will be the big opening point for some players who really want that major weapon role.

SageBow likes this