WE ARE...CHAMPIONS

Penn State goes back to back and defends their National Championship in an explosive 44-23 match up against UCF

BOWMAN THE SHOWMAN

Rookie QB Tanner Bowman kicked off the NFLHC preseason with a very solid showing against the Rams on Thursday Night. Though it was against backups, the Redskin faithful have something to be hopeful about.

ON A JUMBO JET TO CALI

Former Pittsburgh Head Coach Jumbo was officially named the new Head Coach of the University of Southern California Trojans following iliveinadreamatorium's departure from the university.

PRESEASON PROBLEMS

The preseason game between the Buffalo Bills and the Cincinnati Bengals was cancelled after Cincinnati failed to report their depth chart to league officials. Sources within the organization revealed the team may not have had a gameplan ready as well.
    Chatbox -
    Rome (27695) . Darman (27691) . Soluna (22685) . stormstopper (17497) . npklemm (15534) .

You don't have permission to chat.
      Load More
    Soluna

Gameplan Monday #9

How do you prioritize receivers in your depth chart? Do you find success mixing in TEs? How about RBs? Do you ever play around with the Tight End depth chart and substitute in O-Line for your blocking TE (the 2nd TE)?

7 minutes ago, Soluna said:

How do you prioritize receivers in your depth chart? Do you find success mixing in TEs? How about RBs? Do you ever play around with the Tight End depth chart and substitute in O-Line for your blocking TE (the 2nd TE)?

I usually go with best skill regardless of type when ordering. I've been blessed with multiple 4.0+ receiving TEs this season at Washington State and I've been mixing them in on the WR depth chart. So far the experiment seems to be going very well and I'll have to explore it further. I have not tried mixing in RBs or FBs but if I get thin on WR depth I might. I've always tried to have good TEs so I've never substituted OL in for my TEs 

For reference I'm playing my TEs at WR3 and WR5

2 minutes ago, Soluna said:

I Prioritize recivers by skill in both sims but that may change if I get better speed recievers in Arizona.

I have not tried TE in WR spots on chart. I had heard it was more detrimental than good. I did however slide Fred Tindale into the slot reciever position on the depth chart for two weeks since I have been using him as a returner all season, and Ricky Chambers was hurt. He sheeted once going 2 for 20 yards, 0 TD, 0 drops. Not terribly impressive but that could be scheme related.

I have never considered using o line as TE since my QBs tend to make TEs sheet consistantly for receptions.

The only real requirement I have for my WR 1 is that they be 6-2 or taller. I don't want to go out in a 1 receiver formation and have a 5-10 guy who's only move is running past the defense or coming across the middle. Other than that it is just the best player is my #1.

Speed and Target don't influence me too much as I think a speed guy can be an excellent #1. I don't even personally feel slit needs to be a speed guy. I think the slot WR needs to be a sure handed outlet in a lot of situations and a target guy can fill that role as well as a speed guy can.

I also haven't had to move the TE around too much but I could see a TE at WR 5 or so

How do you prioritize receivers in your depth chart?

In general, I want to have a mix between a Speed and a Target WR at the top 2 slots. Unless a massive skill difference exists between the #2 and #3, this is something I strive for. I generally want to have the same balance, if possible, for the #3 and #4 WRs as well. So something like what the Rams have now (Speed - Target/Speed - Target) or BC last year (Target/Speed/Target - Speed) is what I desire. Even in my more run-oriented offenses, I've sought this sort of balance between the WRs.

Do you find success mixing in TEs?

I have considered this, but there are few scenarios I have coached in that would make it effective.

How about RBs?

I have not experimented with this, and without better data on RB styles it is hard to know if it would be effective.

Do you ever play around with the Tight End depth chart and substitute in O-Line for your blocking TE (the 2nd TE)?

I have substituted FBs and OTs for the #3 TE on a semi-regular basis, but only doing so for the #2 TE in the event of injury. That said, I generally want only Blocking TEs from #2 down, given the limitations of the sim in playbook construction.

How do you prioritize receivers in your depth chart?

I sort my WRs by skill obviously and if there's a tie in skill then I go with the taller receiver. I mean a 6-6 receiver usually has a better game than a 5-10 receiver due to mismatches in the secondary. I also try to put out guys that are all speed or target and gameplan the passing game around that skills.

Do you find success mixing in TEs? How about RBs?

The only reason I could imagine putting a TE or an RB out wide is that if they were better than half the WRs, have the receiving or the speed trait and be 2nd or 3rd on the depth chart at their respective position.

Do you ever play around with the Tight End depth chart and substitute in O-Line for your blocking TE (the 2nd TE)?

My TEs are undersized so i probably will not substitute a TE for an OL unless the need for a good OL is very dire.

1 hour ago, cmcgill said:

I think the slot WR needs to be a sure handed outlet in a lot of situations and a target guy can fill that role as well as a speed guy can.

What determines who the slot receiver is? #3 spot?

41 minutes ago, gigemags11 said:

What determines who the slot receiver is? #3 spot?

Yep.

i proiritize by skill and body type. I always prefer a #1 with speed designation, but have played a target guy there. I usually like to mix my Speed-Target types among the top two WRs. For slot, I prefer a guy with elusiveness, even if skill may be lower, to a big target type. 

As for "creative" solutions, I've often had to play TEs and RBs at WR and those choices have usually worked out. If body type was a good fit, I've had a tall speed RB and a lighter receiving TE both play WR3 or WR4, if my depth wasn't where it needed to be. And you can list them on the depth chart at their natural positions too, providing a cross-training aspect for younger players. Get your skill on the field, I say. 

I have yet to go the route of an OT at TE2, but wouldn't hesitate if my offense really needed to focus exclusively on the run.

2 minutes ago, bingo415 said:

Yep.

i proiritize by skill and body type. I always prefer a #1 with speed designation, but have played a target guy there. I usually like to mix my Speed-Target types among the top two WRs. For slot, I prefer a guy with elusiveness, even if skill may be lower, to a big target type. 

As for "creative" solutions, I've often had to play TEs and RBs at WR and those choices have usually worked out. If body type was a good fit, I've had a tall speed RB and a lighter receiving TE both play WR3 or WR4, if my depth wasn't where it needed to be. And you can list them on the depth chart at their natural positions too, providing a cross-training aspect for younger players. Get your skill on the field, I say. 

I have yet to go the route of an OT at TE2, but wouldn't hesitate if my offense really needed to focus exclusively on the run.

Great, thanks for the info!

I have experimented with both RB and FB at WR and TE, as well as CB and FS at WR, mostly because I have had a terrible shortage of WR's the past season. 

It did not go super well. I think the FB made some stat sheet appearances but nothing to write home about.

Interestingly enough, the best out of position performance I got was playing a pretty bad OT at TE, managed 2 receptions and a TD. 

I like putting my best receiving TE at WR#5, figuring that any formation with 5 WR would not have a TE on the field anyway, and my #1 TE would be a more talented receiver than my 5th-best WR.

At SDSU though, I have not been blessed with great TE play, or even a pass-heavy offense, so it's not like I'm setting any records with TE play or seeing the 5-wide empty set very often.  I know in the NFL, I've suggested TE#1 as WR5 to Wooden with Scott Howard and I know we've done it before.  Last year, with terrible WRs (Wegert was our #1), I suggested trying Howard at WR#1, and I guess we just never tried it, but it would have been interesting.  We have a team full of slot receivers and no real #1.  Howard would be a big matchup problem for any CB, so it could be something you'll see from us one day soon.

I also like to have TE#3 always be a blocking TE.  Any set where you're bringing in 3 TEs, you're going to want him blocking, not so much trying to stretch the field.