Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TazerMan

[2020] MAC Recruiting Recap Show, Week 4

4 posts in this topic

mac-615x345.jpg.b3d793be1d1ce4d17aaecead7aa208d3.jpg

Welcome everyone to the first MAC Recruiting Recap show! I am your host Tim Timms, and I am happy to be with you for my first appearance on the Network!

After the first round of signings, the MAC had a total of 27 recruits commit, and some of these players are almost guaranteed to become big names in the MAC, and maybe take their talents to the pro game. Only two teams didn't have a signing, but these teams don't have too much to worry about, as they are 3-0 Miami :miao: (Best!Miami) and 2-1 Toledo :toledo: 

A couple of trends that seem to be coming through are the desire for a strong rushing presence in the conference, with 4 4-star or higher backs already signed, and 3 of these of are strong between the tackle runners, possibly taking the torch from veterans of the conference like Mamadou Wynn. Also, it seems that there was a strong need for outside backers, particularly in the City of Good Neighbours, where they grabbed 3 early on. 

Below is a chart of all teams recruits so far by potential, ranked by highest average potential. 

Total Recruits

Team

2.5-Star

3-Star

3.5-Star

4-Star

4.5-Star

5-Star

Total

Tot. Stars

Avg. Stars

Ohio

Eastern Michigan

Kent State

Central Michigan

Ball State

Buffalo

Western Michigan

Akron

Bowling Green

Northern Illinois

Miami (OH)

Toledo

Luckily for me, I was able to talk to a few coaches about their thoughts on the early days of this recruiting cycle. Unfortunately, due to time constraints, we could only fit one interview into the program, so here is Jieret, coach of the Western Michigan Broncos.

Tim Timms: Good to have you here coach, welcome to the first recruiting recap show for 2020!

Coach Jieret: Thanks for having me here Tim.

Tim: Now, lets get into the questions. What was your strategy going into the recruiting season? 

Coach Jieret: Filling positions of need, definitely. Most recruits aren't ready to contribute until year two at the earliest, so you have to look ahead and see the roster holes at least that far away.

Tim: Where do you think your recruiting efforts rank compared to the rest of the MAC?

Coach Jieret: I think the overall caliber of player I'm going for is a little higher than most of the MAC, but that's a bit misleading. I feel my roster is in the upper half of the conference, so I can aim a little higher.

Tim: Did you have any goals for this class in terms of when they will impact your roster?

Coach Jieret: It's about building into the future. I have a good roster now, but I ultimately want a roster that is competitive year in and year out. I'm not at the point that I can just grab one or two impact players and go for it next year.

Tim: Has your plan and strategy changed much from your initial goal?

Coach Jieret: No, not yet.

Tim: Finally, are you happy with how recruiting is shaping up for you?

Coach Jieret: For the most part, yes. I do regret wasting a couple of scholarships early, and I believe I have the least amount of committed players at this point.  But I expected most of my recruiting to be a long-term process, so I'm not too worried yet.

We thank coach Jieret for his time and wish WMU the best for the season.

Now, a quick look at some major recruiting battles over highly touted prospects with MAC teams involved.

WR Jordan Barnes, Target, 1.5/4.5

Top Teams: :ohio:, :osu: 

The Bobcats are looking to bring in another fantastic recruit in Barnes to complement their 5-star DE, Nicholas Blackwell. They look to be in the lead over the Buckeyes, and with visits coming up and the Bobcats having a stronger recruiting department, it looks like Ohio will be addressing a major need, as their top 4 receivers are upperclassmen. A very solid start to recruiting for Beeznik.

OT Isaac Decker, Run Blocking, 2.0/5.0

Top Teams: :toledo:,:nw: 

Toledo are just unstoppable on the recruiting path it seems, as they are on their way to adding another 5-star recruit in Decker, who could quite possibly start next year at Right Tackle. The main weakness of this Toledo squad is their o-line, but already they have one young and talented bookend, getting two would make this a scary team in years to come. Next year they would have Ciamo and Thompson ready to dominate with a better line than this year. #Toledo2021

OLB Bradley Lloyd, Coverage, 1.0/4/0

Top Teams: :cmu:,:michigan: 

This could be very interesting, with CMU in the lead for a player who could get a lot of playing time in a few years, with both starting outside linebackers on the depth chart being upperclassmen. The only problem is that they are competing with Michigan, who always have the draw of being a big school. This could be a very important battle for the Chips to win, and will require some strong persuasion to get Llyod to Mt. Pleasant.

WR Ajani Jennings, Target, 1.0/4.0

Top Teams: :msu: , :emu: 

A very tight battle here, and one that EMU is clearly keen to win, as Daniel Lentz will have just graduated if Jennings is redshirted, giving the Eagles a strong future number 1 receiver to work with. However, the Spartans are always going to have the advantage being the bigger school, so EMU will have to make a strong push to secure Jennings.

And to finish the program, some MAC recruiting battles

QB Misu Curtis, Hybrid, 1.5/4.0

Top Teams: :wmu: , :niu: 

Having dominated the rushing scene in the MAC for years, the Broncos are looking to get a local signal caller to take over for Chase Sims after his graduation, and Curtis would have time to sit and develop. Meanwhile, at NIU, Charlie Sanford has been benched after some poor performances, and Coach Noobie is already looking for his successor in Curtis. A battle like this could have significant impacts on the future of the MAC, definitely one to keep an eye on.

CB Cooper Rainey, Man Coverage, 1.0/4.0

Top Teams: :wmu: , :ohio: 

As discussed in the preseason previews for each MAC team, the lack of strong cornerbacks in the MAC is a major issue for many teams, and Beeznik is looking to get a future rock. The only team with any depth past their number 1 is the Broncos, and they are looking to add to that, and if they can continue adding to their perennial strength and depth at corner while denying other conference teams, it will be a huge win for Jieret.

ILB Gregory Wilkins, Will, 1.0/4.5

Top Teams: :ball:, :zips: 

Ball state's star recruit is receiving some attention from Coach Darkage, and it looks like Wilkins is showing a bit of interest back. If Akron could manage to get Wilkins, it would be huge for them, with both starting ILBs graduating in the next 2 years, and they could give him a redshirt season without a major loss at the position. While this would be great for Akron, chances are Wilkins is going to Ball State, who have some young linebackers, but a player of Wilkins quality can't be passed up, and with a strong class last year, this signing could set up the Cardinals for a strong team in the near future. 

Thanks for tuning in to the MAC Network, Goodbye from me, and good luck to all MAC teams playing this week!

johnkirk, Jieret, beeznik and 3 others like this

5 minutes ago, Rome said:

I'm going to knife all you MAC schools for trying to sneak the depth players away from the rest of us.

Your depth players, our starters.  Blame the state of Ohio for having 2736481 schools in-state.

Excellent write-up, TazerMan!

TazerMan likes this