Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Minnowsotan

[2020] - Iowa State Cyclones Week 5 Post Game Press Conference

3 posts in this topic

"Our performance this week was the worst I have seen since our program first started in 2014. I took a risk this week by benching 3 former starters QB August Blank, RB Avery Jeffries, and K Daniel Craft. Some changes worked and some did not. My decision to change our offense is something we will have to wait and see how it works. I am confident that our offense will step up to the same level of play our defense have contributed thus far. Meanwhile for benching K Daniel Craft this week, it was a mistake. Daniel Craft will return to his former position as starting Kicker during week 6 vs. Baylor. Getting blown out 41 to nothing hurts, the last time we were blown out was all the way back in 2016 and ironically enough it was against Kansas in week 12 we ended up losing 7-45. One day I will hope to become the 2018 Cyclones again, but until then we have to learn what works for us now, not what has worked for us in the past. And until that happens I will make whatever changes I see fit to this program."

"As for next weeks game vs. Baylor we plan to be back at full strength once again."

HAFFnHAFF likes this

Storm Stopper, Big XII Network. Two questions.

Do you expect Peter Edge and Josiah Edmonds to retain their starting roles for the remainder of the season, or are August Blank and Avery Jeffries still fighting for their jobs back?

What was the reason to go for such comprehensive changes all at once as opposed to more gradual changes over the course of the season?

Minnowsotan likes this

I expect Josiah Edmonds to start for the remainder of the season. As for Peter Edge, I will have to wait and see if this Junior can handle the rest of the season. If he can't then the job will go to August Blank as he has shown to at least throw a touchdown. 

As for the changes. I felt like nothing was working on the offensive end, the quarterback situation after that Minnesota game. I don't want a quarterback to throw 2 times the interceptions to touchdowns. And Jeffries barely was averaging 3 yards a carry. My depth is comprised of mainly the same caliber. If the starter isn't performing well and the backup is the same grade as he is. Why shouldn't he start? I mainly did this extreme of a change due to the fact of I want to see what works for next year. Next year will become a do or die for me. Most of my team are all juniors so I need to know how well these juniors will be able to play.