Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TazerMan

[2020] MAC Recruiting Recap Show, Week 5

3 posts in this topic

mac-615x345.jpg.b3d793be1d1ce4d17aaecead7aa208d3.jpg

Welcome back to the MAC Recruiting Recap show! I am your host Tim Timms, and its great to be back after a break in the recruiting cycle.

A bit of a down week in terms of number of recruits, as only 6 signed to MAC schools this week. It seems like its time for the corner issue in the MAC to be solved, at least a bit, with CMU and Miami grabbing one each. Kent State are building a strong core for this class, bringing in a QB, RB, DE and ILB who should all be much better than the current players for the Flashes. The signees look to be of a bit lower quality than Week 4, but solid starters or depth for the future. However, none of these players come ready to make an impact as true freshmen, and expect many to be red-shirted.

Total Recruits

Team

2.5-Star

3-Star

3.5-Star

4-Star

4.5-Star

5-Star

Total

Tot. Stars

Avg. Stars

Ohio

Eastern Michigan

Kent State

Miami (OH)

Central Michigan

Ball State

Buffalo

Western Michigan

Akron

Bowling Green

Northern Illinois

Toledo

Due to the lack of exciting recruiting that happened this week, I thought I'd see if I could interview a MAC coach about their team's performance this season. Lucky for me, I was able to have a chat with Coach caesari of the 4-0 Miami(OH) Redhawks, AND Coach Darkage of the 3-0 Akron Zips. 

An excerpt from my talk with Darkage. Overall he was very optimistic for the season, setting a high bar for himself and his players.

Tim Timms: What do you attribute your strong performances this season to? Good coaching, players performing well or both?

Coach Darkage: I would mostly give it to the players... they train hard, work hard, and want to win. Coaching is a small part of what it takes to win games.

Tim Timms: What do you think is the main difference between this season and last, considering you are only two wins away from last year's win total?

Coach Darkage: Last season we had a tough schedule at the start of our year... Our tough schedule this year starts against Indiana. Our players have definitely improved and so has my coaching ... hoping to see a W next week too.

Tim Timms: What is your best case scenario and worst case scenario for the season?

Coach Darkage: Best case is we win the Mac championship and a bowl game... Worst case is we don't get a bowl game at all. I'm hoping to be the first Akron coach to make a bowl game and conference championship, and most importantly win it. 

And now to caesari, who was quietly confident in his team, but didn't try and build too much hype. I think there is enough of that already.

Tim Timms: What were your expectations coming into this campaign?

Coach caesari: Our sights were set on a bowl game and competing for the MAC. It's stiff competition, but we like our odds at this point of being bowl eligible - there's still a long way to go to prove we actually are a top team in the conference and to competing at the level we want to compete at. 

Tim Timms: What is your best case scenario and worst case scenario for the season?

Coach caesari: I think 10+ wins and making the MAC championship are within reach, and of course would be the goal. Bowl eligibility is within reach, and that's our first priority.

Tim Timms: Now, we can't have this interview without talking about Zack Cera. He is on pace to throw for 3696, 39, 9: an absolutely mind-boggling stat line. Is this what you expected coming into the season?

Coach caesari: I said before the season I thought he'd have a shot at MAC records when all is said and done. At this point, he's still young and learning, so my hope is that he just continues to grow as a player and lead the team well.

Now, an update on the recruiting battles we looked at last week.

WR Jordan Barnes, Target, 1.5/4.5

Top Teams: :osu: , :ohio:

The top receiver in Ohio has changed his primary interest this week, as the Buckeyes have had him come in for a visit, and had the coaches go out to him. This is looking like it will become a long battle for Beeznik, who might only just come out on top due to prestige gained from that championship victory last season.

OT Isaac Decker, Run Blocking, 2.0/5.0

Top Teams: :toledo::nw: 

A very close contest here, Toledo just ahead. Even though robcarlson77 is looking to get a bookend with potential to start as a true freshman, Toledo has the appeal of a program on the rise, and one that was favoured to win the MAC Championship last year. Toledo might have to wait a while, but Decker will most likely end up in a Rocket uniform.

OLB Bradley Lloyd, Coverage, 1.0/4/0

Top Teams: :cmu::michigan: 

Coach Johnkirk is looking for a strong future starter in Lloyd, who will be replacing upperclassmen in a couple of years. Michigan is just looking to add depth, as they have two young starters at outside backer, but the Wolverines should have this under wraps if it goes for much longer.

WR Ajani Jennings, Target, 1.0/4.0

Top Teams: :msu:, :emu: 

Last week this looked very tight, but the Spartans are pulling ahead now, and unless the Eagles really commit to getting Jennings, it looks like SlinkyJr is going to have a big target for the future. If the Eagles do commit, they are going to struggle building a large class, as they only have 2 commits so far. A tough decision for Jammz early in his career, and one that will have a big impact on the coming seasons.

And now to some conference battles

QB Misu Curtis, Hybrid, 1.5/4.0

Top Teams: :wmu:, :niu: 

Curtis looks to be staying instate with the Broncos, despite Noobie's efforts to draw him down to DeKalb. The Huskies quarterbacks are struggling at the moment, and Noobie is looking for his saviour, and in his eyes Curtis is the man for the job. But, with Western Michigan's lead on him, it seems unlikely that he will have his prayers answered.

CB Cooper Rainey, Man Coverage, 1.0/4.0

Top Teams: :ohio: :wmu:

Ohio are pushing for Rainey, having leapfrogged the Broncos and now sitting ahead with not too small a lead. Rainey would be an important piece in a young and talented defense that is really only missing corners, and we know what this Bobcat team can do. Jieret is looking to continue building the best CB group in the conference, and with the possibility of Sean Taylor leaving, he may be looking for a new top dog.

ILB Gregory Wilkins, Will, 1.0/4.5

Top Teams: :ball:, :zips: 

Despite Darkage's best efforts, lrickar's man looks to be going "home" to Muncie. The Zips have gone after another stud ILB for the second year in a row, and neither have signed, hopefully this one doesn't have the effect that going after Nazir Flowers did last year for the Akron class.

And to finish, a battle that has been building for a while

OT Felix McCormick, Pass Blocking, 1.0/4.0

Top Teams: :kent:, :miao: 

Miami has 2 sophomore tackles starting, and has another freshman red-shirting. McCormick would be better than two of these and similar in potential to one, as caesari looks to continue with solid bookends. On the other side, Kent State is looking for a major upgrade at tackle, and McCormick would come in as a red-shirt sophomore the year after the current starters have graduated. For Coach TazerMan this would be a great time to pick up a blindside protector for the recently signed Cameron Hare, as they would both come in and play as red-shirt freshmen, and he is in a growing lead for this recruit.

Thanks for tuning in again to the MAC Network, its goodbye from me, and I wish the MAC boys out there this weekend the best of luck!

Thank you to both caesari and Darkage for taking the time to talk to me this week.