bingo415

[2020] PAC-12 Power Rankings, post week 5

9 posts in this topic

usa-today-8863524.0.jpg

Nicholas Garland fends off a UCLA defensive end in the Cardinal victory on Saturday

Some movement and some separation in the Power Rankings this week. The PAC-12 currently has three ranked teams, two from the North plus USC. Arizona's stumble at previously winless Oregon was the big shocker of the weekend. Where's your team at? Read along...

Remember, if you don't like where you're at in these rankings...play AND recruit better!

1. Washington State Cougars (3-0) :wsu:

Coach Ape's men are looking really dangerous and have had a couple weeks off early in the season to remain healthy entering PAC-12 play. They need a running game, slightly, but David Oates is a stud and should carry this team to the North title. Get ready for those boys from Eugene, however...

2. Stanford Cardinal (4-0) :stanford:

The Trees cleared a solid hurdle in honey potting the Bruins, despite the killer game from Gore. Nick Garland and his cronies continue to look like the other threat in the North, but I'm beginning to get the sense this team is a one trick pony like their rivals in Pullman. 

3. USC Trojans (3-1) :usc:

A workmanlike 27-17 victory over the Sun Devils puts the Trojans back into good graces. They'll need much more out of Jesus Cordero if they want to utilize all the talents available to them, but Luke Trickett is, and was, plenty for this offense. 

4. California Golden Bears (4-0) :cal:

Cal stays at #4 because they barely squeaked by USM. USM. That's Southern Miss, not Southern Methodist. For a team I'd ranked in the national poll starting in week 3, I was vastly unimpressed with that effort, at home no less. 

5. Arizona Wildcats (3-1) :zona:

Whoops! Perhaps the Wildcats were too overconfident entering Eugene...perhaps they need to trust the passing game a bit more. Either way, losing to the previously winless Ducks was not a good look, especially after the stellar opening trio of games. They'll be fine, and I think the main challengers to SC in the South.

6. Arizona State Sun Devils (2-2) :asu:

They're at #6 because they played SC tough at home and didn't look terrible in their other loss. Arizona State has a sneaky decent squad and some solid coaching with NDunk. They're gonna be a tough out for any contending team in this league. 

7. UCLA Briuns (2-2) :ucla:

Steven Gore is for real and certainly gave it his all versus Stanford, but the Bruins didn't have what it takes on Saturday. The Cardinal slid by. Can UCLA regroup? They've looked equal parts astute and lost in the first quarter of the season, so we're not entirely sure.

8. Colorado Buffaloes (2-2) :colorado:

A little gift here after the annihilation of the Blue Raiders. Latavious Murray got back to his normal awesome self with 145 big yards. Now the cupcakes are done, and Colorado has to rise to the PAC-12 level consistency. Their only two losses have been blowouts to SC and 'Zona. 

9. Oregon Ducks (1-3) :oregon:

Ayy! How about that!! Holding down the fort against the Wildcats in Autzen, on a scheme change, is pretty big for the confidence of this team. It doesn't get any easier, however: Pullman can be nasty. And the Cougs ARE nasty.

10. Oregon State Beavers (1-3) :orst:

Well, it was nice while it lasted, being the only team from the state of Oregon with a win. And they played SMU tough, finally succumbing 38-17. Oregon State has talent, has some guys in recruiting that will eventually help, but this team is still a long way from a bowl game. 

11. Utah Utes (0-3) :utah:

I honestly have no idea what's going on with Utah. The talent is there...where's any semblance of coaching acumen? This team is staring boldly at 0-12, unless they get lucky in conference play. 

12. Washington Huskies (0-4) :uw:

My favorite part of the power rankings is seeing Washington on the bottom. Not because I don't Dean^2, because I don't like the Huskies :) Valiant effort in week 5 (a narrow 3 pt loss) but it doesn't get easier for these Puppies. 

Jumbo, JBax, smckenz3 and 4 others like this

I agree with most of these rankings. Thanks for putting them together. I would just like to add a little color to my two losses by saying they were both on the road, both against ranked opponents at the time, and both were 3 points losses.

7 minutes ago, JBax said:

I agree with most of these rankings. Thanks for putting them together. I would just like to add a little color to my two losses by saying they were both on the road, both against ranked opponents at the time, and both were 3 points losses.

Good points, certainly. I'd argue that the Baylor loss is looking less "good" than it did in week 1, but mostly I agree. Your wins are a bit less impressive, but keep playing hard and it will work itself out in the end. I fully expect UCLA to be the #3 South team (or better) by year end.

22 hours ago, bingo415 said:

6. Arizona State Sun Devils (2-2) :asu:

They're at #6 because they played SC tough at home and didn't look terrible in their other loss.

They lost their other game 35-6 in Tempe lol

bingo415 likes this