Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jmjacobs

[2020] B1G Quarter Season Power Rankings

2 posts in this topic

big10_logo_detail.gif

Now that we are a quarter of the way through the season it's time to take a look into the B1G Power Rankings.

1. :purdue: Purdue Boilermakers (4-0)

The current number one team in the country coming off an impressive victory against the Michigan Wolverines. It's hard to argue against them with Matt Jones and the prolific Purdue offense averaging 450 yards per game. I think Purdue is the favorite to win the West, however, I don' think they finish the season undefeated, as there are so many good teams in the West, I imagine they slip up in one game.

2. :illinois: Illinois Fighting Illini (4-0)

Arguably the best defense in all of CFBHC, Illinois comes in at number two. Only giving up a ridiculous 7.3 PPG, no team wants to face the Illini. The Purdue-Illinois match-up approaching could be a playoff precursor and determines who represents the West in the B1G Title Game. If illinois falters, it's because of their average offense, but average might be enough, and they remind me of the irl super bowl winning ravens. The biggest knock on them is playing in the West, they might slip up because of the offense, but I'm pretty high on the illini 

3. :PSU: Penn State Nittany Lions (3-1)

Despite dropping a game already in the season, I believe the gap between Penn State and the rest of the B1G is relatively big. The defending national champs will not have an easy road to repeat as champions, as already seen, but luckily for Penn State, they sit in the much weaker East and I don't think Michigan, Michigan State, or Maryland can topple them. 

4. :wisconsin: Wisconsin Badgers (4-0)

Trufant is the best RB in the CFBHC and he's only a redshirt sophomore. I would argue he will be better than Sowell, which is saying something considering his success at Wisconsin as well as with the Jags in the NFL. My biggest concern with Badgers is the passing part of the equation. We know Trufant will rush for 100+ yards and 1-2 TDs, but what will Jarvis do? If he performs well they can be unbeatable, but a bad or average game from him and the Badgers are very vulnerable.

5. :minnesota: Minnesota Golden Gophers (4-0)

Lucas has taken over where Bingo left off, and has a strong passing game and the second best defense so far in the B1G after Illinois. The concern is the one-sidedness on the offensive side of the ball, ranking last in the B1G in rushing. A team with a strong pass defense like Illinois could spell bad news for the Gophers, but as usual with Bingo's Minnesota's teams, I expect Minnesota to be sitting there with a chance at winning the West in the last 2/3 weeks.

6. :msu: Michigan State Spartans (4-0)

Slinky has returned and so has Michigan State's success. While I don't think MSU is as good as they appear at this point in the season, I believe in Slinky, and his strong QB play to rank them slightly ahead of Michigan at this point in the season. Joseph Thurston as been arguably the best WR in the country so far with 420 yards and 6 TDs through 4 games. The problem is the running game is struggling and they have no real other threat in the passing game. I expect something around 8-4 when all is said and done.

7. :michigan: Michigan Wolverines (3-1)

I might be putting myself too low based on the talent on my team, but I have not been impressed with how my team has played this season. A squeaker against NC State, a game closer than it should have been against BYU and a loss to Purdue has me ranking Michigan at 7. Gabe Cooper has done well this season, but Whitley at RB needs to improve so that I am not so one-dimensional, the x-factor on my team. Carlos Washington the JUCO transfer has been a top DE in CFBHC and has carried the defense, but the team is not playing to expectations. Maybe I'm being too harsh on myself, but for now I think this ranking is fair for my team's play.

8. :maryland: Maryland Terrapins (2-1)

Arguably after Michigan, there is a big drop-off in teams that have a serious chance of competing in the conference. I like Maryland, but I don't see them being a serious threat in the East. A below average passing game and passing defense does not bode well in the B1G, especially against Bowman and Davidson in the East. They won't be able to rely on the run like they have so far this season, leading the B1G in rushing yards per game. Maryland does hold the best rush defense so far, but again I don't expect this to be sustainable the rest of the year.

9. :iowa: Iowa Hawkeyes (2-2)

The talent is there in Iowa, but a tough schedule and some holes on the offensive and defensive side of the ball limit the potential of Iowa. With one of the worst defenses statistically so far in the B1G, and competing in the West, Iowa is probably looking at something like 6-6 when the season is all said and done. I still believe in Black and Donaldson on the offensive side of the ball, and they have a strong OL to compete in games, but if the defense doesn't improve than it won't be enough to compete with the serious contenders in the West.

10. :indiana: Indiana Hoosiers (2-1)

The Hoosiers have looked pretty good so far, with a top five offensive and defense. The problem is that they don't have the talent to compete in the B1G to make that sustainable. I think the team is moving in the right direction, and might be a fringe bowl team, but no more. I don't expect them to be able to beat PSU,Michigan, or MSU and make a serious threat in the East.

11. :osu: Ohio State Buckeyes (1-2)

Ohio State has a QB problem. Raymond Dow has thrown for only 385 yards with 3 TDs and 6 INTs through 3 games. They aren't going to beat anyone decent with that kind of QB play. The reason I have them ranked higher than the teams to follow is the talent on the defensive side of the ball. They have an above average defense that can keep them in games, and more talent than the teams below, but without improvement at QB the Buckeyes ceiling will be pretty low.

12. :nebraska: Nebraska Cornhuskers (1-3)

Considering how good Nebraska used to be, the Cornhuskers are very devoid of talent, and I find it hard to believe that they will make a bowl game. The only team that I think they have an above average chance of beating in the West is Northwestern, otherwise they will have to hope to get lucky against a team like Iowa and steal a game. I think it will be very difficult for the Cornhuskers to make a bowl game, but hopefully Dean will recruit well and have this team back to its former glory.

13. :rutgers: Rutgers Scarlet Knights (1-2)

After the departure of vollmagnet, the Prophet, and Franklin, we knew this would be a struggle for the Scarlet Knights to repeat the success it had the past 2 years. Rutgers will struggle this season, and really outside of Ohio State, don't really see them having any chance of beating the top teams in the East.

14. :nw: Northwestern Wildcats (0-4)

This team is young but they do have talent coming. The problem is that young talent won't do much in the B1G. Averaging a B1G worst 12.3 ppg and a B1G worst 34.5 ppg against, its hard to see where Northwestern will scrape by with wins unless it's against the fellow cellar-dwellers in the B1G. I would expect maybe 2 wins this season, and really just focus on developing the young talent and try and make a bowl game next year, because they don't really have much chance this year, especially in the West  

Not much to argue on my end. Looking back, I'm really wishing I would have redshirted all of my higher rated players, regardless of what year they're in. I may take this approach next season and suffer two awful seasons in a row. Thought I might be better than I looked but didn't realize how tough the division is.