• Announcements

• Soluna

General News   07/27/2017

CFBHC and NFLHC are both delayed 2-3 days to make up the 2 week gap at the beginning of August a bit. Recruiting this week will still be done Saturday night.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SageBow

[2020] Week 5 POTW

5 posts in this topic

Week #5 OPOTW

QB Matt Jones, Purdue

20 of 32 for 307 yards, 3 TD, 0 INT vs #5 Michigan

USATSI_7460235.jpg

Matt Jones won National Offensive Player of the Week, and was able to sit down with SageBow for an interview

Pleasure to have you here today Matt. Huge win for you guys against Michigan this week. What was it like stepping off that field with the W?
It was great. I walked over to coach and said "you like that?" He liked that.

With that win you are now the #1 team in the polls. Is this the best team you've had around you since you started as a freshman quarterback? 

On offense we've really only had a big change at runningback in the offseason losing CJ [Sheffield] and bringing in Brendan [Milton]. Brendan has been doing a great job making the adjustment to our offense. But its mostly the same guys starting again. We're just older now and hitting our stride.

Pitt looks on the way to an ACC title this season. Who do you think is the toughest team in conference that may slow the Panthers?

Virginia and Duke are definitely looking like are toughest competition so far. They're our roadblocks to winning the Coastal, but if we can beat them we'll have a good shot at repeating at division champions. And Clemson is of course always tough if we can make it to face them in the ACC Championship Game again.

We saw on twitter that someone taped this image to your door after the big game Saturday

1ryzys.jpg

Any thoughts on who it may have been?

My lab partner, Joey, from chemistry class teases me whenever he sees stuff on EPSN or in the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel. He slapped it on my door that morning as a joke.

Matt you're taking a strenuous chemistry course in college while most other football players, frankly,would never sign up for a rigorous class like that. How do you juggle academics and athletics at the same time?

I'm a private person. I'm not some ratchet Stanford player. I just manage my time well and don't bite off than I can handle. I make sure to take a lighter load in the fall and balance out my schedule.

That's it for me, thanks for the interview! Before I leave, do you have any shout outs?

Shout out to everyone including the haters and losers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Week #5 DPOTW

CB DeSean Barkley, Colorado

2 INT, 6 Tackles vs Middle Tennessee

9609975-ncaa-football-arizona-state-at-c

Colorado's star defensive back DeSean Barkley put up a lights out performance to win National Defensive Player of the Week. He was also able to sit down for a quick interview.

Today I've got sophomore cornerback DeSean Barkley. DeSean, a two interception game. What was going right for you Thursday night?

The entire defense was clicking all night. I wouldn't have those two picks if not for my D-line and backers getting to the QB every snap. We were able to rattle him and make big plays. I was in the right place at the right time.

You kept your opposing receivers in check all night. Do you consider yourself one of the premier shutdown guys in the country, or are you more of an all around corner that can play the pass and the run?

I'm definitely not afraid to help out in the run game and lay the boom on guys, but my real strength is in coverage, no doubt. My goal each game is to shut down my receiver and force the quarterback to make other plans.  

You're known as one of the fastest players in the nation, but there's some talented wide outs in the PAC-12. Any one you're looking forward to going Mano-a-Mano against? 

Definitely Hakeem Black over at Cal. He's one of the top receivers in the country, but I think I could get him.  

The Buffs seemed to have been in a world of hurt last season until new coach Franz Kafka took the reigns. Now in his first full year as head coach, what is your relationship like with him?

He's tough, he pushes me.  He knows that I'm one of the leaders on the team and if I don't go hard in practice or make a mistake on the field, he's all over me.  But that's just because he knows we can be great and he expects greatness from all of us.  We know if we follow his lead we'll be successful and ultimately have a future in the league. 

That's it for me today, pleasure meeting you DeSean! Before I leave, do you have any shout outs?

Eli Broussard (Washington State), Eric Hall (Arizona), and Blaine Lewis-Thompson (Cal).  We're like the four horsemen of cornerbacks...all grew up playing in 7v7 tournaments together and we're all gonna be playing on Sundays in a couple years.  We've got a bet going about who will make the most Pro Bowls.  I'm not worried.

Thanks to Inspiral and Franz for their interviews this week. Best of luck to all the players in Week 6!

Previous National POTW Award Winners

15 hours ago, SageBow said:

Pitt looks on the way to an ACC title this season. Who do you think is the toughest team in conference that may slow the Panthers?

Virginia and Duke are definitely looking like are toughest competition so far. They're our roadblocks to winning the Coastal, but if we can beat them we'll have a good shot at repeating at division champions. And Clemson is of course always tough if we can make it to face them in the ACC Championship Game again.

Not sure what that has to do with Matt Jones, but if you want to join us I wouldn't be opposed to trying a phillyfan 2-QB system :ph34r:

TazerMan likes this

21 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

Not sure what that has to do with Matt Jones, but if you want to join us I wouldn't be opposed to trying a phillyfan 2-QB system :ph34r:

Im not paid to do this :P

Jumbo likes this