Free Agency: Finding a New Home

Thomas Wheeler, Eddie McFadden, and Ron Rice are just some of the names looking for a new house to defend when NFL free agency begins next week.

Purple & Gold

LSU claims the #1 spot after a machine-like victory of Auburn.
Soluna

Spotlight Tuesday #10

We're back!

What is your favorite recurring part of the site? Do you enjoy the draft? Recruiting? Something else entirely?

Do you have any fond memories of any particular event? (an exact draft, a week of recruiting in the past, etc.)

I think the Draft is just so full of drama: who's gonna reach, who's gonna get a steal, who works well as a FO team? It's so thick with intrigue, I love it. 

But actually my favorite recurring part of the site is waiting for the new Master List of recruits each season...I LOVE seeing all the new talent available, and then trying to figure out who's going where, etc. 

Basically I just love this site in general, but the recurring things are absolutely what I get excited about. 

Draft hands down.

I still have fond memories of the 2017 Draft which is one of the reasons why I did the media piece I did on it.  The scouting and deliberation of figuring out who you want is so fun to me.  I put most of the reason why I am more fond of NFLHC than CFBHC now is due to that draft.  It made me focus so much more on the Falcons than I did during the 2016 season

For my favorite crooting moment we'd have to go back allll the way to week 5 of the 2020 season. I had put a ton of points on one of @Jumbo's quiet little 4.5's in Florida he thought he had a comfortable lead on and no one else had noticed. It was him versus another small MAC school, with no other Florida schools in the hunt.

Well, when I woke up the next morning to check the fallout, I noticed Jambo had sent several shoutbox messages "looking" for me and to "meet him in Temecula in 40 min." Among a few other expletive laden insults there was this gem:

"DStack can get fucked with a rusty pipe, seriously"

I didn't even have to check the interface to see if I was leading on the croot.

Edit: Absolutely nothing beats the draft. Especially that first round: live coverage, everyone tuned in, shoutbox is shoutboxing, the research and prep, the feeling of excitement or loss if your prospect falls to you or gets sniped just before you pick! "CAN'T WAIT!" - Bart Michael Scott

I love the draft. Everything about it. The live coverage is super fun to listen to. I love the shoutbox during it, the way everybody hypes up players and seeing everybody's reaction to picks. Scouting players to find the next superstar or late round gem is fun and interesting. A draft the I still have fond memories of and still go back and rewatch occasionally is the 2019 draft. The lead up was super fun with all the scouting and long discussions that was going on in the Ravens FO. It was the first year we had pro days so it was fun to try to incorporate that into who you were going to pick. There were some good draft memes with Alien's fishtank and Tyrone McGee getting picked. But what stood out the most is the players we drafted. This class seems like the one with most core Ravens of the future. 

I really love the draft, the site during the draft, and mostly making fun of people for their godawful picks and trades :P

Also when I told @DStack11 to go fuck himself with a rusty pipe for taking the lead on a croot I was gonna win with barely any points invested. That's a fond memory.

There's just something special about NFLHC Draft season. The weeks leading up to it are full of mock drafts and shoutbox speculation. A lot of people are just throwing smoke, but it's still just great to see all the discussions over various prospects. Then the big night comes and practically everyone is online. The shoutbox is going crazy, the broadcast team is doing work, and internal strategic discussions are happening. I truly think it's cfbhc.com at it's best.

If I had to impress a real life friend with any aspect of this site, the Draft would be it. It's the event that almost doesn't feel like we're playing a game.

I LOVE recruiting, as you can probably guess. I like the new system far more than the old, but nothing beat that absolute adrenaline rush when you were checking the results to see how you did after round 1. That would determine your entire recruiting cycle and there was SO much riding on it. I remember checking the results and seeing I landed Tom Wyman for 2 points and my hands were shaking.

I still do love recruiting, in part because I remember where my team came from at the start. Originally, my team was SO bad that every recruit I got was a massive improvement on my team. I had 4 4.0s and 0 4.5+ potential players generated. Being able to get guys who could actually compete at a high level was THRILLING. Every single recruit I got was an excitement, and I loved seeing how my team could develop. It's the same way today. Recruiting is the future of your team and so much relies on the stars you can land. I love dreaming of the potential of the guys I'm gonna have on my squad and I can't WAIT to see players like Matteo Cates, Kwon Shaw, and Hooker Jackson hit the field. It is a different feel now, though, when you're recruiting players who will start 4 years down the road instead of 2.

My single favorite day on the site was [2014] Week 9, Saturday Evening. The day I upset Texas. Later that night, Soluna did JuCo results while drunk. Most everyone had gone really conservative during JuCo and put all 20 of their points on one guy. I did the opposite, put 1 on 20 guys and landed SIX jucos, who were all better than anyone on my team. There's a video of my reaction to beating Texas somewhere. Still my favorite moment on the site.

As an aside, we need to bring back the old school gamedays. Me, Ted, Soluna, Dean and dream yo.

Draft is easily my favorite part of the site.

I think my favorite moment in retrospect was actually the late 1st round of the 2020 draft. We weren't 100% sure what we were going to do coming into the draft but we acknowledged that we might take Brett Fisher if he was available. We ended up trading down from #22 to #29 because we weren't totally sure of the available prospects heading into that #22 pick and we figured if we wanted to take Fisher we could probably do so at 29.

Of course, once we made the trade down, I fell almost irrationally in love with Fisher. I kept checking and double checking everything on him and started wanting him more and more, and as it got closer to our pick I started getting really nervous about someone jumping us for him, especially the Titans. I kind of panicked and started initiating trade talks with people, trying to move up and down simultaneously while trying to keep TheSam and Monark updated on the situation. It was absolute chaos. I think at one point I had something like 8 different tabs open on the GM chat, trying to make plans for every eventuality while also trying to throw the Titans off by pretending to want to trade down below them. I guess it didn't quite work but it didn't matter because in the end nobody ahead of us wanted to trade down, so the Titans couldn't jump us, and we ended up getting Fisher. Most stressful moment on the site for me by far, but afterwords the relief I felt that we had gotten our guy was awesome. 

Draft is the best part of the site because it's a must-see event and there is so much effort and planning that goes into it.  Plus, drafting and planning draft strategy is one of my favorite things to do in general - the reason I play so many different sim leagues.  Really sucked that I had to miss so much of the last draft because of all of the effort I put into it and how much I looked forward to it.

But recruiting, because of the in-depth strategy involved, and because it's a one-man, sink or swim endeavor is a very close second for me.  I enjoy recruiting updates more than the actual games.  Hell, I'd probably recruit for a team and just let someone else coach if I thought they were any good at it just so I could just play "GM" of the college team because that is what I get my enjoyment from in this game.

I do hope the NHL game will eventually evolve to the point where the entry draft rivals the NFL one.