Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SageBow

[2020] Week 6 POTW

1 post in this topic

Week #6 OPOTW

QB Nico Kaufman, Air Force

22 of 27 for 315 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT, 6 carries for 83 yards, 2 TD vs Boise State

564ffd691812a.image.jpg?resize=1200,784

Nico Kaufman won his second National Offensive Player of the Week award for the season, and sat down for his second interview of the year.

Sage here once again with Cadet Nico Kaufman. Nico, huge game against Boise State, one of the Falcon's toughest rivals. How were you not just able to put up monster numbers, but put them up efficiently against the Broncos?

I don't worry too much about the numbers. I'm trying to make sure no opportunity is wasted. Those guys on the line work hard every play, I don't want their effort to be wasted because I made a bad decision. We've been able to do a good job capitalizing on the opportunities we create, but we've still got some room for improvement.

Nico, statistically you have had a blistering start to the season, putting you at the forefront of the Heisman race. What would being the first Air Force Falcon to win that award mean to you?

Just being considered for the award is a great honor. I remember watching Allan Taylor and Brian Brown play while I was in high school, and it just floors me that anyone thinks I'm playing at that level, I sure don't think so. Really though, winning an award like this is not really in my control. All I can do is go out there and play my best. I can't let any sort of hype influence how I play, it's hard work that got me here.

What about the naysayers that point at your teams strength of schedule? Any words for them?

Well I don't make the schedule, but all we can do it just go out there and play our brand of football. If we can do that well, week by week and win, it will all work itself out in the end. I know I can speak for the entire team when I say that the opponents we have are important to us.

This is your second time winning, so before I leave, care to tell your fans at home your favorite part of the Air Force Academy?

My favorite part of The Academy is the camaraderie. I really can't quite describe it. Being able to share the experience of attending the Academy with it's traditions, and knowing that my classmates and I will be carrying that forward into service in the greatest Air Force on earth? No place else has that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Week #6 DPOTW

DE Marcus Terrell, Illinois

2 Sacks, 5 tackles vs Iowa

635800841857458158-IOW-1010-Iowa-vs-Illi

Illinois defensive end Marcus Terrell wins his first national award, and was also able to sit down for a quick interview.

Marcus, disappointing loss but you were still able to get a lot of pressure on the opposition quarterback. How were you able to tally your two sacks?

Well, we have a strong defensive front which enables me to make plays and get to the quarterback. If we didn't have other threats like Javier (Davenport) or David (Hendrickson) I would have to play more against double-teams. Of course I also have to play as hard as possible to have a game like I had on Saturday, but I have to give credit to my teammates for helping me out. Football is a team sport, after all.

You're quite accomplished as both a sack artist and run defender. What kind of defender do you pride yourself on being?

I like to think that I'm a pass rusher first and a run defender second. Going after the quarterback has always come more naturally to me, and I think I have the physical tools like speed and agility to do it successfully not only in college, but at the pro level too. However, the ultimate goal for me is to become a complete player, so I'm aiming to become better at defending the run as well. I just want to become as good of a defensive end as I can possibly be.

Speaking of growing pro, is there a dream team at the next level that you would just love to play for? Maybe the local Chicago Bears?

I grew up in Nevada and most of my family roots for the Raiders, so I guess it would be kind of cool to play there one day. However, it's probably too early to talk much about being a pro given that I'm a redshirt sophomore. The most important thing right now for me is to be an impact player on this defense and help the team win more games. A lot more games.

Thanks for the interview Marcus! Before I leave do you have any shout outs?

Yeah, I'd like to send a quick message to my teammates and the coaching staff: If you're reading this, stop procrastinating and get back to work! Don't get lazy, don't get complacent; we have a chance to do something special this season.

Thanks to Descreto and Flutie for their interviews this week. Best of luck to all the players in Week 7!

Previous National POTW Award Winners