Soluna

Throwback Thursday #10

21 posts in this topic

Who was the first player who you actively felt something for beyond being a line on a website? Do you have favorite players that aren't on your team? Do you follow other players?

Norris Brooksheer went down as #1 in my heart when he came in off the bench and beat Texas for me. He earned himself a statue after the natty win. It was absolutely heartbreaking as a Packers fan watch my sim son go to the Bears, even as a #1 pick and while I find it amusing the Bears arent good, it hurta me to see him being mediocre in the NFLHC. I hope someday i can get him back in some capactity.

I am a Leshoure fan to some extent and I want to see him succeed in the NFLHC. Otherwise I dont really follow any players that I havent actively coached.

Chad Dess was the first. 

But my all time is Matteo Rook. He is my child. 

My favorite player who isn't a player of mine is James Dale. Dude just slung that rock left and right. 

Darman, Jumbo and SageBow like this

first was probably Justin Buchanan. Dude carried my team to the superbowl.  Was sad to see him get picked up in the expansion draft, especially by a team who didn't even let him start. 

All time though is definitely Nick Hall.

For Temple, its gotta be Ricky Lewis.  Similarly to Buchanan, he was the only bright spot on my team the first year, and ended up having quite a nice career.  I am glad I got to send him out with a Bowl win.

Just now, Soluna said:

Who was the first player who you actively felt something for beyond being a line on a website?

James Otero, easy. I think by this point that's rather well-documented for me, and he's still the GOAT in my book. But the second player would've been Ricky Rose. He had the most personality of anybody on my early teams, brash and confident in any interview I did with him (he had a piece in early 2015 calling the team out) but also very team-first to the point where he changed positions because I thought it would be best for the team.

1 minute ago, Soluna said:

Do you have favorite players that aren't on your team? Do you follow other players?

Devin Conroy. I'm not even sure I can give a better reason than hearing "Convoy" by CW McCall while playing GTA 5 around the same time that Conroy broke out and realizing that they rhymed, then somehow making the hashtag stick. But I have a deep appreciation for his game and the way that he could put Colorado State on his back. #ConroyConvoy forever.

Others: Harvey Fagan, even if he never made it to the big leagues--the SMU game alone was legendary. Justin Hunter, he of the Mississippi State Chance. Marcus Swartz and Big Mo Foster. Big Game Bobby Price, who never got his due. Chase Shapiro, who tries so hard. Raheem Robinson, the Great One. Jeremy Miller and Hudson Adam. Alexander Burton, the Reaper out of LSU. Matt Jones. ...I'm gonna stop now or this is gonna take all day.

Jumbo and TuscanSota like this

For me it came fairly late in my journey in CFBHC.  I wasn't at Mizzou long enough to really get attached to any of the players.  Wyoming and OSU I try not to think about.  So I would have to say it is probably Christian Barkley.  Having 2 distinctly different seasons at TTU with him made me change my tune with him entirely.  It was frustrating to see him so streaky and making boneheaded plays some weeks, so his 2018 season was such a surprise and I still cherish that season as one of my best successes in CFBHC.  

I am just glad Bad Christian Barkley is in the Shadow Realm now.  

Of my current players I only need 1 name:  Solomon

Other players wise I don't follow it as much this season, but in the past I loved watching Brett Fisher at Miami and Jeremy Scarborough out of CSU play.  On the defensive side, Omar McManus was one of my favorite players in the past few years.  

Mines a pretty obvious one, CJ Logan was such an interesting phenomenon. He was good for a 4/4 QB, but with my building up of him he got so overrated to the point of being underrated again. Dude took a 3-5 team and proceeded to go 14-2 as a starter over the next 16 games. 

My favorite player on another team has got to be Marquise Reed. (In seriousness it's probably Keyshawn)

I also follow Chris Billings because I hope he fails at every endeavor 

ajyoungmark likes this

This one might be tough for me. I enjoyed coaching Joel King, and I was glad to finally get an AAC championship with him my junior year. However, it seemed like he was already painted with a destiny - the guy was supposed to either declare early or become one of the top draft picks when he did declare.

So I'm gonna go with Marcus Swartz.

When I became the coach of Baylor, this guy was benched the previous season for poor performance as a freshman. I remember one of the big questions during the offseason was whether I was going to start the guy or not. Since I was taking on a team that did so poorly for at least 3+ seasons, I thought maybe I should abandon the previous strategy the team was designed around, and start anew. So I gave Swartz a second chance. He did decently his sophomore year, mostly because I tried to not make him the focal point of the offense (Bless you, Sean Bell) . Now I can know I can rely on the dude. He's currently a senior, and he's probably playing the best games of his career. And honestly, I don't know if he would've played at this level, had I decided not to bench him.

So yeah, probably Marcus Swartz. I'm glad to have seen and watched this dude develop from a player who was unreliable to a Quarterback that's now making plays for us.

Now as for players not on my team... well... um........

Mohamed Foster

bingo415 and smckenz3 like this

Alex Engram was one of the only decent players on my team early on and he was so fun to watch. Still the greatest FB playing RB ever :ph34r: Curtis Howard comes next because he has the best story behind him (even though it got nuked with the rest of the blogs :( )

Of the players I recruited, I think that Daquan Darcey has to be my favorite, even though none of the guys I've recruited have panned out too well.

Nathan Burden is another favorite and I think he'd be a fan favorite IRL. Dude came into a team who had won ten games ALL TIME before him and then won 10 games as a rookie. Then won 11 after that. Then 11 more the year after that. Dude is a legend, 2nd all time in the conference in TDs and Yards and first in INTs (which is the other side of the coin). Loved him so much but did get tired of the same old thing from him by the end.

Of my team right now, I'm not sure I have a favorite. Maybe Matthew Dyson? I think it's quickly becoming Elliot McElmore, though. I've never had a stud ILB and this guy is a 4.5/4.5 (So) who has already recorded 29 tackles and 2 INTs in 4 games.

I have a soft spot for Javier Fields because I coached him at UK but Teddy Walker was another level. He was the first (and possibly only) 5 potential player I ever recruited to UK and watching him develop in college was sweet. Him going top 3 in the draft is one of my favorite moments in any draft.

On my current team I obviously love Alexander Burton, but I think Elias Allen-Hollis and Jaylen Huff are a bit under appreciated for how they have carried my offense the past two seasons. 

I think Ezekiel Adams pipped Allan Taylor to this one in terms of being first, although AT is my favorite player I've ever coached. I'll also fight any one of you who doesn't consider him to be the greatest Scrambler in the game (and imo a top 5 QB period). 

As for Adams, for two years and change he was my lone offensive light. I may have recruited better objective players later, but Adams meant the world for me.

Dylan Freaking Stewart.  My first game on the site was week 4 of the 2018 season.  We hosted an undefeated, top 25 Houston team.  Aiden Higgins threw for a grand total of 28 yards that game (compared to Joel King's 460 yards and 4 TDs).  But Dylan Stewart took over the game on the ground rushing for 205 yards and 3 TDs en route to giving me a 1-0 career record on the site.  It is the only winning record I have ever had (and it will be like 2024 before I have a shot to get back to .500).  But he was a lot of fun to coach, I just wish he was officially a RB so I could follow him in NFLHC.  And I will always regret I had no team around him to compliment him.

But the first player I have truly and completely connected with is Rahim "The Greatest" Murrell.  He has come to life and become much more then a player line for me.  Although at this point I still can't decide if I love or hate him.

TuscanSota and smckenz3 like this

Man this is a tough question....

Matty Swift!  I mean hell I made a damn Heisman website for him that included actual t-shirts.  He was just the best ever and basically a gunslinger (although really efficient his senior year).  That season was a lot of fun - I still hate that Auburn beat us on a failed 2 point conversion :(.  

I've also really grown attached to Mohammed Foster and Mohamed Mustafa.  Mustafa is my underdog - he really needed redshirted his freshman year, but for some reason he was started as a 1/4 and did about as you'd expect.  He got hammered in the preseason stuff the next year but really turned his career around.  I want him to dominate more than anyone I've ever coached. 

Foster - is so much fun.  He can throw he can run.  He's the perfect sim equivalent to Pat White.  Which brings me back to my college days.  

Other players that I like.  I follow the guys I recruited at Texas A&M.  They are just (Fr), but Singletary and Belcher are going to be good! 

I like to follow Alex Gash and Jason McClairen also.  I coached them for the final 4 games of their careers and it's fun to see they have nice pro careers going. 

Great question!

My man-crush in the sim was OJ Carano...he was a beast. That 2013 Minnesota team had a bunch of guys I really started to think of with affection: Mark Bassett, Dave Stokely, Kwazi Robb. But Carano was the business. 

The first recruit that I really CARED about was Patrick Murphy. He was a great player for a long time and I'm glad he's playing so well in the NFL. I really grew to appreciate Sean O'Reilly--All-BIG QB his senior year as a 4/4 was fantastic. He played 4 great years. 

In the pros, I've had the opportunity to coach some greats, and I hold a special place for most: Allan Taylor, anyone on that first Saints team (including @Franz Kafka and @neovenator250). The big shift came with Devereaux, Jenkins, and Big Jeremy Miller. That trio became my favorite players really quickly. 

With the move to Denver, I almost feel as though I know the players so well, I'm beyond any real affection for them. Except Todd Jennings. I followed him @Soluna'S early Penn State days and he just blew me away. He's a rock, he's the chosen one, he's the talisman. And now he's growing into a great QB. So, at present, I'm dealing with feelings for Todd Jennings, and maybe Michael Carroll a little bit. J.B. Blacknall is quickly rising up the list however. 

At Oregon, the answer is and will always be Artemio Ramirez and Trevon Yeldon. I actually had a dream about Yeldon before the Texas game this season. Yelled his name out loud and my wife punched me in the arm and told me to stop dreaming about my players. Artemio and Trevon are Men of Oregon.

From Arizona State I love/loved John Harris and Nu Battles. I've deeply considered buying a Nu Battles jersey on several occasions.

I still like to follow Rob LeCount and look retrospectively through my window on a rainy afternoon and think of what could've been.

alienufo likes this

I'm not sure who my first was. I can't remember if it was Alex Leshoure or Todd Lester.

Lester will always be my favorite though. Watching his career progress has been a treat. His rookie season was really bad. We're talking about a QBR in the 70s. For him to go from that to Super Bowl MVP in four years is amazing.

I love the guy and will never forget him, even after this place is long gone.