• Announcements

• Soluna

General News   07/27/2017

CFBHC and NFLHC are both delayed 2-3 days to make up the 2 week gap at the beginning of August a bit. Recruiting this week will still be done Saturday night.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TazerMan

[2020] MAC Recruiting Recap Show, Week 6

4 posts in this topic

mac-615x345.jpg.b3d793be1d1ce4d17aaecead7aa208d3.jpg

Welcome back to the MAC Recruiting Recap show! I am your host Tim Timms, it's great to be back for another week of recruiting talk!

A better week for signings, as we had 16 commits. Coach Jamzz managed to bring in 6 players this week, and some may have a chance to start next season, but they will definitely be raw if Jamzz makes the decision to give them the starting role. A lot of mid-tier players signing this week after a flurry of highly rated recruits coming to everyone's favourite conference. Akron continue to build a large and deep class after a particularly weak one last season, and they are only two players short of the total they managed to sign last season. 

Here we have our table of recruits by average potential, and atop sits Ohio, not moving until they sign more than 1 recruit. EMU dropped 5 spots, a result of a large number of lower potential commits. Kent State and Central Michigan maintain their strong starts to the recruiting season, as Kent State continues to sign a large number of recruits of reasonable quality, a step in the right direction for them.

Total Recruits

Team

2.5-Star

3-Star

3.5-Star

4-Star

4.5-Star

5-Star

Total

Tot. Stars

Avg. Stars

Ohio

Miami (OH)

Kent State

Central Michigan

Buffalo

Ball State

Eastern Michigan

Western Michigan

Akron

Bowling Green

Northern Illinois

Toledo

Also, we have a nationwide ranking for recruiting this season, and post week 6, this is how the MAC is shaping up.

:kent: Kent State (Class rank: 44)

:zips: Akron (Class rank: 54) 

:emu: Eastern Michigan (Class rank: 57)

:cmu: Central Michigan (Class rank: 60)

:ohio: Ohio (Class rank: 83) 

:buffalo: Buffalo (Class rank: 88)

:miao: Miami(OH) (Class rank: 98)

:ball: Ball State (Class rank: 101)

:bgsu: Bowling Green (Class rank: 105)

:wmu: Western Michigan (Class rank: 108)

:niu: Northern Illinois (Class rank: 114)

:toledo: Toledo (Class rank: 119)

Overall, the MAC doesn't look to be in a great way as a conference, with some of the top tier teams struggling so far. On the bright side, lower tier teams such as Kent State, Eastern Michigan and Central Michigan are looking to build strong classes as a foundation for future success. 

On to the interview for the week. I was able to talk to beeznik, the coach of the 2-2 Ohio Bobcats, about his recruiting efforts, his team's performance and his expectations for the season.

Tim Timms: Thanks for coming on the show Coach!

Coach beeznik: Thanks for having me.

Tim Timms: Let's get right into the questions. Considering your championship and bowl game wins last year, what are your expectations for this season?

Coach beeznik: I expect to win the conference and a bowl game.  However, I do know the road will be a tough one as the conference is much more competitive this year.

Tim Timms: How many recruits are you looking to sign by the end of the season, as you only have 1? Where would you hope to finish in terms of ranking in the MAC and in the Nation?

Coach beeznik: For this year, it's not so much quantity as it is quality.  I went all in on the DE out of Florida, and he's gonna be a good one. If I can fill several more positions out with top quality talent to really take the team to the next level, that will be huge.  

Tim Timms: Are you happy with your start to the season, both in recruiting and in games?

Coach beeznik: I'm....content.  I knew 2-2 was a real possibility.  We played and lost to two ranked teams (SMU and Maryland) and beat a tough Buffalo team too.  I would really have liked to win that close one against SMU though.  Recruiting could be going more smooth, but when you get in a battle for recruits, it inevitably will slow you down for signings.  That said, we're ahead of where we were last year.

Now, an update on the recruiting battles we looked at last week.

WR Jordan Barnes, Target, 1.5/4.5

Top Teams: :ohio::osu:

For the second week in a row, Barnes has changed his top school. After the Buckeyes scheduled a school and coaches visit last week, beeznik pulled out his visits and took what looks to be a commanding lead. What was looking like a tough battle for the Bobcats has just become one which looks a bit easier, and he could be signed in a few weeks.

OT Isaac Decker, Run Blocking, 2.0/5.0

Top Teams: :toledo::nw: 

And Toledo continues to struggle this year. The Wildcats are keeping this well within reach, but Toledo should come out on top eventually. I mean, who wouldn't want to be on this Toledo squad next year?

OLB Bradley Lloyd, Coverage, 1.0/4/0

Top Teams: :cmu::michigan: 

Coach Johnkirk is looking for a strong future starter in Lloyd, who will be replacing upperclassmen in a couple of years. Michigan is just looking to add depth, as they have two young starters at outside backer, but the Wolverines should have this under wraps if it goes for much longer.

WR Ajani Jennings, Target, 1.0/4.0

Top Teams: :msu:, :emu: 

After pulling ahead last week, the Spartans have kept their lead on Jennings, and maybe even increased it. Jamzz is already building a solid and well rounded class, and maybe Jennings may have to be let go to continue building a foundation of starters for the coming years.

And now to some conference battles

QB Misu Curtis, Hybrid, 1.5/4.0

Top Teams: :wmu:, :niu: 

Michigan's top QB will be going to Kalamazoo in a few weeks, after Jieret continued building his lead on Curtis. Noobie's hopes for a stronger signal caller will go unanswered for the season, unless something big changes.

CB Cooper Rainey, Man Coverage, 1.0/4.0

Top Teams: :wmu:, :ohio:

And the Broncos continue to battle. The conference's best cornerback group is looking to be rejuvenated, with the possibility of Taylor leaving at season's end to play on Sundays. If he doesn't enter the draft early, it will give Rainey a red-shirt season to grow. Ohio are in two tight battles over big recruits at the moment, it will be interesting to see if they can pull through with both.

And two battles that are all but wrapped up,

ILB Gregory Wilkins, Will, 1.0/4.5

Top Teams: :ball:, +

Now almost a sure thing, Wilkins will be signed to Ball State within the next 2 or 3 weeks. Darkage hasn't lost his whole class for the chance at one player, and wisely dropped out of this race. Experience from last year may have helped with that decision.

OT Felix McCormick, Pass Blocking, 1.0/4.0

Top Teams: :kent:, + 

After battling for McCormick for a few weeks, TazerMan looks to bringing in the undersized tackle. Visits were used, and even though the Flashes have a tackle redshirting, McCormick has a higher ceiling, and building a stronger o-line can never hurt a team.

Thanks again for tuning in to the MAC Network, goodbye, and good luck to the MAC teams playing this weekend!

Thank you to beeznik for the interview.

It's really rough for the MAC when you look at our geography; we have no natural access (pipeline or host camp) to croot-rich California, Florida, Georgia, and Texas.

(Note to self: start petition to have Georgia State join the MAC)

On top of that, with 12098659 schools in Ohio competing for a finite number of croots I'm not surprised our rankings are low overall (props to Kent State and Akron for aggressively signing players early!).

Speaking for WMU I still have faith that the Broncos make up ground in the next 5-6 weeks, but FSU deciding to be annoying on my star recruit isn't helping.

TazerMan, deathcpo, darkage and 1 other like this

16 hours ago, Jieret said:

It's really rough for the MAC when you look at our geography; we have no natural access (pipeline or host camp) to croot-rich California, Florida, Georgia, and Texas.

(Note to self: start petition to have Georgia State join the MAC)

On top of that, with 12098659 schools in Ohio competing for a finite number of croots I'm not surprised our rankings are low overall (props to Kent State and Akron for aggressively signing players early!).

Speaking for WMU I still have faith that the Broncos make up ground in the next 5-6 weeks, but FSU deciding to be annoying on my star recruit isn't helping.

Yeah I think Ive learned some things this year!  Ohio State really screwed me going all in on that WR Barnes, he will be mine but I have had to waste more time getting him than I wanted to.