Éireannach Go Bragh

Notre Dame pulls off the first big upset of the season, defeating #14 Michigan by 10 points.

Luck of the Aggies

Former TCU QB Felix Luck is now a member of the UC Davis Aggies, thanks to the NCAA Transfer Portal.

Week 1 Kickoff: Seahawks @ Packers

The defending champion Green Bay Packers host the Seahawks to kick off the 2023 NFLHC season, the 10th in league history.

Place Your Bets!

The Betting Market is now open, place your bets for a selection of weekly games with some prop bets, such as Super Bowl odds.
Sign in to follow this  
alienufo

Update to Coaching Contracts + Clarifications.

Game Checks: Coaches receive game checks each week that they coach. This means that their salary is broken down into 16 equal portions, and this will affect how much cap you get back if a coach resigns or is fired.  It will also affect how much money the fired coach is to receive for coaching clinics.  Pre-season games and playoff games do not receive game checks.

For example, if you fire a coach that is under contract between preseason and their 8th regular season game, your coaching cap takes a 50% hit (due to the guarantee). after that, each game adds 1/16th of your coaches salary to the cap hit.

If you fire a head coach at any point, you may use your remaining cap to hire a new head coach, or you may hire an interim coach from your current staff (including coordinators).  An interim coach will make game checks based on the previous coaches contract numbers for that year.  An interim coach is immediately demoted after the season ends, and you must then hire a new full time head coach.

---------------------------

Coaching in the playoffs grants a coach bonus checks.  Each playoff game coached earns a $50k bonus for the head coach. Having a bye is also worth a $50k check.  This is a bonus, and does not have to be factored into your coaching salary cap.

Coaches and coordinators may be traded. The coach being traded must also confirm the trade for the trade to go through, and must honor their contract or massive punishments will be put in place on the coach and possibly one of the organizations if there seems to be some kind of conspiracy to screw people over.

Assistants must be hired out of the pool of money available to coaching staff.  Each assistant costs $500k, and will come out of the head coaches salary.  Current assistants will be able to use their earned money on coaching clinics as if they were coaches.

This change is retroactive.  If you had an assistant in 2020, they earned $500k in their coaching budget.  This comes out of the head coaches salary for 2020, but will have to be factored into your cap in the future.  If your coach has a multi-year deal already, and cannot afford the 500k for future years, it can continue to be deducted from the head coaches salary.  All assistants must be accounted for on the coaching cap sheet from now on, and will earn game checks like coaches.  This doesn't change the fact that assistants may not perform duties of other positions.

Coaches earn chemistry with their roster for every year of their contract that they complete.  You lose the bonus if your contract expires, but it can be maintained if the coach gets an extension prior to their contract expiring.  One year extensions do not accrue chemistry, only maintain your current amount due to coaches feeling insecure in their jobs. Contracts officially expire after the Super Bowl.

Example: Coach signs a 4 year contract and completes it.

Year 1: 0% bonus chemistry

Year 2. 1% bonus chemistry

Year 3. 2% bonus chemistry

Year 4. 3% bonus chemistry

If he receives a 2 year extension prior to year 4 off-season

Year 5. 4% bonus chemistry

Year 6. 5% bonus chemistry

However, if they did not receive an extension they would go back to 0% chemistry.  Bonus tops out at 10% bonus chemistry.

In addition, interim coaches, or coaches who have only coached a team for half a season or less, do not accrue a year as coach when it comes to this chemistry bonus. 

Does an assistant's skills apply to their team like coaches?

8 minutes ago, Rome said:

Does an assistant's skills apply to their team like coaches?

No.

This is excellent. The Denver Broncos will most likely not be hiring any assistants beyond coordinators, but will certainly consider the extended coaching contracts for added chemistry bonus. I think this is an ideal scenario, for RP and parity sake. Kudos.

4 hours ago, bingo415 said:

This is excellent. The Denver Broncos will most likely not be hiring any assistants beyond coordinators, but will certainly consider the extended coaching contracts for added chemistry bonus. I think this is an ideal scenario, for RP and parity sake. Kudos.

The major caution with this change is that no teams will be hiring assistants, it just doesn't make financial sense. I think we should think about whether we want to discourage new people from joining the league. 

1 hour ago, TheTodd15 said:

The major caution with this change is that no teams will be hiring assistants, it just doesn't make financial sense. I think we should think about whether we want to discourage new people from joining the league. 

I would rather not have people joining teams at capacity because I do not want multiple people sharing duties so if I had a choice I would ban assistants entirely.

1 hour ago, Soluna said:

I would rather not have people joining teams at capacity because I do not want multiple people sharing duties so if I had a choice I would ban assistants entirely.

Thanks for the input Soluna, that certainly makes sense. Some people abuse the assistant rules and some don't, so understandably no solution will be perfect. 

4 hours ago, Soluna said:

And, frankly, you do have a choice. It may not be what a portion of the community wants, but sustainability is just as important (at least it should be) as maximum enjoyment.

I like the idea of paying assistants.  If they are pulling their weight and contributing to team discussion, they're worth 500k/year.  

3 hours ago, TheTodd15 said:

Thanks for the input Soluna, that certainly makes sense. Some people abuse the assistant rules and some don't, so understandably no solution will be perfect. 

To be entirely honest it's not really in my interest to care for expansion or new users. I'm trying to create a stable and balanced experience for those already playing without regard to whether people can tutor others.

24 minutes ago, Soluna said:

To be entirely honest it's not really in my interest to care for expansion or new users. I'm trying to create a stable and balanced experience for those already playing without regard to whether people can tutor others.

I agree with this, entirely. While the opportunity to expand exists, there aren't currently monetizing options in place that make that an attractive business model. There could be, but Soluna's got the right plan for now. Encouraging depth of engagement is paramount. When the community has 100+ members at, say, Alien's level of engagement, that's the real win, for all.

Are you allowed to hire assistants if you do not have the cap room? If Team A has less than 500k in cap space, would their coach be able to sacrifice 500k of their salary to hire an assistant?

4 hours ago, Rome said:

Are you allowed to hire assistants if you do not have the cap room? If Team A has less than 500k in cap space, would their coach be able to sacrifice 500k of their salary to hire an assistant?

No you can't do this

On 8/23/2017 at 9:15 PM, alienufo said:

Coaches earn chemistry with their roster for every year of their contract that they complete.  You lose the bonus if your contract expires, but it can be maintained if the coach gets an extension prior to their contract expiring. Contracts officially expire after the Super Bowl.

Is there a thread to renew coach contracts prior to the Super Bowl?

10 minutes ago, joedchi said:

Is there a thread to renew coach contracts prior to the Super Bowl?

there is now

Just now, alienufo said:

there is now

Thank you.

update:

One year extensions do not accrue chemistry, only maintain your current amount due to coaches feeling insecure in their jobs.

if you have given an extension already and want to update it due to this change you can until the Super Bowl.

Do we have guidelines for coordinator re-signings? I.e. they can re-sign for the same amount, they can sign for less, they have to get a raise.  Just trying to figure it out since our coordinators are signed for another year.

there will be coordinator extensions in the offseason.

On 8/23/2017 at 10:15 PM, alienufo said:

Assistants must be hired out of the pool of money available to coaching staff.  Each assistant costs $500k, and will come out of the head coaches salary.  Current assistants will be able to use their earned money on coaching clinics as if they were coaches.

This change is retroactive.  If you had an assistant in 2020, they earned $500k in their coaching budget.  This comes out of the head coaches salary for 2020, but will have to be factored into your cap in the future.  If your coach has a multi-year deal already, and cannot afford the 500k for future years, it can continue to be deducted from the head coaches salary.  All assistants must be accounted for on the coaching cap sheet from now on, and will earn game checks like coaches.  This doesn't change the fact that assistants may not perform duties of other positions.

Just for clarification:

"and will come out of the head coaches salary"

Does this mean that the HC salary is reduced by 500k when we look at the rule that the HC must make more than 1 of the coordinators?

Or does this mean that the HC's salary vs the coordinators is unchanged, but the coach just has 500k less to spend because that goes to the assistant?

Example:

Head Coach was signed for 3.1/yr, OC at 4.0, DC at 2.9

Team had an assistant.

With the HC actually only earning 2.6M, with 500k going to the assistant, is this team not in compliance because the HC is making less than both coordinators?

Or is the 3.1 the number that matters, and this team is in compliance?

Because no one knew the assistants would need to be paid, and every team went right up to the cap to maximize their HC pay for future benefits, this rule change would cause several teams to break the "HC can't make less than both coordinators" rule.  Just wanted to make sure which way the rule was being interpreted before I hire my HC and possibly an assistant.

Thanks

11 hours ago, pumph said:

Just for clarification:

"and will come out of the head coaches salary"

Does this mean that the HC salary is reduced by 500k when we look at the rule that the HC must make more than 1 of the coordinators?

Or does this mean that the HC's salary vs the coordinators is unchanged, but the coach just has 500k less to spend because that goes to the assistant?

Example:

Head Coach was signed for 3.1/yr, OC at 4.0, DC at 2.9

Team had an assistant.

With the HC actually only earning 2.6M, with 500k going to the assistant, is this team not in compliance because the HC is making less than both coordinators?

Or is the 3.1 the number that matters, and this team is in compliance?

Because no one knew the assistants would need to be paid, and every team went right up to the cap to maximize their HC pay for future benefits, this rule change would cause several teams to break the "HC can't make less than both coordinators" rule.  Just wanted to make sure which way the rule was being interpreted before I hire my HC and possibly an assistant.

Thanks

it comes out of the coaches salary for contracts signed in 2020.  2021 and beyond coaches must be in compliance with this rule if they have a scout.  The salary of the scout is separate from the HC contract for any new HC contracts.

Bump

On 8/23/2017 at 10:15 PM, alienufo said:

Coaches earn chemistry with their roster for every year of their contract that they complete.  You lose the bonus if your contract expires, but it can be maintained if the coach gets an extension prior to their contract expiring.  One year extensions do not accrue chemistry, only maintain your current amount due to coaches feeling insecure in their jobs. Contracts officially expire after the Super Bowl. 

Example: Coach signs a 4 year contract and completes it.

Year 1: 0% bonus chemistry

Year 2. 1% bonus chemistry

Year 3. 2% bonus chemistry 

Year 4. 3% bonus chemistry

If he receives a 2 year extension prior to year 4 off-season

Year 5. 4% bonus chemistry

Year 6. 5% bonus chemistry 

However, if they did not receive an extension they would go back to 0% chemistry.  Bonus tops out at 10% bonus chemistry.

in addition, interim coaches, or coaches who have only coached a team for half a season or less, do not accrue a year as coach when it comes to this chemistry bonus.