CHOO CHOO

Matt Jones and his #4 Purdue Boilermakers continue the chug along to a B1G West division championship and possibly more following their 38-21 win over Nebraska on the road.

DOLPHINS, SO HOT RIGHT NOW

Things continue to click in Miami and the Dolphins were able to remain undefeated Sunday Night with a 35-19 win over the New York Jets. The acquisition of rookie WR J.C. Weldon seems to be just what the doctor ordered.

LAST NIGHT TOOK AN L

#12 Arizona bounced back in a big way following their surprising loss to the Utah Utes last weekend. Smacking the Colorado Buffaloes 45-10 behind an offensive explosion from QB Sam Parish and his weapons

OH MAN-A-SOTA

Misfortune strikes again in Minnesota as the Vikings get beat down 45-11 by the Baltimore Ravens in their own house. On top of that, their already injury plagued team picked up four more injuries. Was that headline a stretch? Why yes...yes it was.
    Chatbox -
    Rome (34752) . Darman (31727) . Soluna (26761) . stormstopper (20067) . npklemm (18632) .

You don't have permission to chat.
      Load More
    Sign in to follow this  
    bingo415

[2021] Week 4 Power Rankings

848491056-chicago-bears-v-tampa-bay-buccaneers.jpg.jpg

Tampa Bay sniped the Bears in Florida on Sunday

The season is only four weeks old, but some rather obvious trends are emerging already, as are some favorites for postseason spots. Injuries, the main theme of 2021 so far, have played a huge part up to this point, and will only continue to impact performances across the board. Who's rising, who's falling, who has hope, who has none? Read on for this week's answers!

Remember, if you don't like where you are in these rankings...play better!

Battle For the #1 Seed

1.     Green Bay Packers

Who are the :packers: battling for the #1 seed? Factual consideration could include the Eagles and even the Bears. But I’ll take a more metaphysical approach. The Packers are really battling complacency, the Pipe, and the changing winds of offensive innovation. Can they win again with the same model as 2020? Possibly, but they’ll have to adapt some to stay ahead of the curve.

2.     Miami Dolphins

3.     New York Jets

4.     Kansas City Chiefs

5.     Las Vegas Raiders

These teams are the most interesting Top Dogs in their respective divisions at present. Yes, you could throw the Titans/Jags/Texans in as well, but :dolphins::jets: and :chiefs::raiders:will be primetime viewing all season. Only one of these will ultimately get the #1 seed (or not) in the AFC, so the Tier Title is a bit of misnomer.

Recent Injury(s) = Some Doubt

6.     Philadelphia Eagles

7.     Tennessee Titans

8.     Chicago Bears

9.     Jacksonville Jaguars

The :eagles: clearly miss the spark that Marshawn Miller brought to the offense. Even more now falls on Allen Taylor and Troy White, and if the battle with the Chiefs is any indication, that may not be enough against the best teams in the league. The :titans: just got gobsmacked by a triple-injury Sunday, even in a win. The Pipe has clearly settled on TENN as the recipient of most of its hatred. How long can they continue to play at a high level with so few bodies? The :bears: desperately missed David Gaines, who went out early in the loss to the Bucs. Brooksheer was noticeably poorer without his top wideout, who will be sidelined for a couple weeks. And the :jaguars: have one of the larger casualty lists in the league, so it’s more a question of “when” rather than “if”. Should the Jags buck the trend and stay healthy, I think they could end up the top of this Tier easily.

Could Be #3 Seed, Could Miss Playoffs

10. New Orleans Saints

11. Carolina Panthers

12. Houston Texans

13. Washington Redskins

New Orleans beating the Panthers on the strength of Sterling Brown’s rushing and a receiver not named Sean Jenkins leading the team in catches and yards bodes well for the :saints: going forward, and really is a validation of how they’ve played up to this point. They addressed their injury-prone WR corps with the trade for Cotton Lewis and that’s what you do when you’re currently staring at first round bye in the playoffs. Could it go off the rails for the Saints? Maybe, but I think they look more of sure bet at this point than the :redskins:. Tanner Bowman has been fantastic, but the Bye week hit at the worst time: no chance to build on the momentum of their last win. The :texans: are beating everyone they “should” beat so far, but the reason they are in this Tier: when the schedule turns nasty in a few weeks, where will they be? :panthers: will deal with the loss of Mike Latta for a couple weeks, but should continue to play well. I envision Carolina as a classic #5 seed in the NFC.

The Last Two Playoff Spots in the NFC Are a STRAIGHT TOSS UP

14. Atlanta Falcons

15. Los Angeles Rams

16. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

17. Arizona Cardinals

18. San Francisco 49ers

That was a quick slip for the :falcons: and :cardinals:, after looking terrific the first two weeks. At least Atlanta put up a good fight vs. NO and JAX—both losses were at home. Whereas Arizona got steamrolled twice in a row and now have to regroup during the Bye week. (Aside: the Cardinals were the biggest headscratcher for me in the new revealed offensive game plans—why are they running that with that team?) The :rams: bounced back with a nice win on Sunday night over the Cowboys, but the Cowboys aren’t REALLY the Cowboys right now, so jury is still out on the 2-2 Rams. The :buccaneers:, winners of two straight (when’s the last time we could say that??!) whipped the Bears and did so in style. Says here Tampa takes ANOTHER step up in the NFC South by beating the Panthers this weekend. Not much to say about the :49ers: after the Bye week, but 1-2 is not good. They have some serious work to do in order to ensure a playoff spot. Hell, they have work to do to stare a winning record in the face.

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

19. Buffalo Bills

20. New England Patriots

21. Dallas Cowboys

22. Indianapolis Colts

If Arizona is the hardest team to predict in the league (and they are…), the :bills: are the most frustrating. They look excellent in weeks 1 and 3, complete doo-doo in weeks 2 and 4. Kamau Davis has been his mostly consistent self, but everyone around him is riding a giant yo-yo every time out. :patriots: holds the dubious distinction as the 1-3 team that has looked the best. The :cowboys: need to get healthy ASAP—Luke Williams is not the answer, especially when teams can gang up on the run EVEN MORE now. Also, the defense hasn’t stopped anybody for a while. And…it’s time for honest truth: the :colts:, while injury depleted somewhat, are simply not as good as I thought they were at the beginning of the season. They are not the only team that equates that statement (ahem…Broncos, Lions, Rams), but they are most surprising, I’d wager.

Can Anyone Figure Out the AFC North?

23. Pittsburgh Steelers

24. Cleveland Browns    

25. Baltimore Ravens

Where are the Bengals? Look below. Why these three and not the Bengals? These teams have shown consistent effort and a hint of talent. Why can’t I figure out the AFC North? No idea, other than these teams are being asked to carry out game plans that are different from what their skills favor. I expect the :steelers: to win 8 games (or maybe more), but that’s all I expect out of this division. I’m really disappointed in the :browns: after three weeks of playing pretty well—that stinker against the previously-winless :ravens: was not a good look.

Doing Some Serious Draft Evaluations Over Here...

26. Minnesota Vikings

27. Seattle Seahawks

28. Cincinnati Bengals

29. Denver Broncos

The :vikings: got a win that surprised a bit, but the holes in this team are plain as day. The :seahawks: got a win that was actually kind of a loss (16-13 at the Giants—IN OVERTIME—is crazy-making). The :bengals: dropped a heartbreaker to Steelers, but also failed in the Front Office area, again. And the :broncos: got taken behind the woodshed by the dirty, rotten Raiders, to extend their streak of unimpressive performances to four in a row. Yes, I’m being harsh on my own team, but our only win is over the Ravens…and they are struggling mightily this season. Injuries have been unkind to a couple of these teams, but it’s not like any have shown moments of brilliance either. Drafting in the Top 10 is a new experience for the Seahawks and Broncos…an experience both are hoping to avoid yet this year.

0-fer, Trades Are Now Open

30. Detroit Lions

31. Los Angeles Chargers

32. New York Giants

The :chargers: were on a Bye, luckily for them. The :fibur: and :giants: were not. It’s impossible to see where the next win will be for these three, and most likely not Week 5: Lions host the Niners in primetime, the Chargers host the Titans (Wheeler will feast on that secondary), and the Giants travel to Atlanta, where Mike Thomas is currently trying to secure a court-ordered stay of execution from Early Davis and Eric Jennings.

1 hour ago, bingo415 said:

10. New Orleans Saints

New Orleans beating the Panthers on the strength of Sterling Brown’s rushing and a receiver not named Sean Jenkins leading the team in catches and yards bodes well for the :saints: going forward, and really is a validation of how they’ve played up to this point. They addressed their injury-prone WR corps with the trade for Cotton Lewis and that’s what you do when you’re currently staring at first round bye in the playoffs. Could it go off the rails for the Saints? Maybe, but I think they look more of sure bet at this point than the :redskins:.

:w00t:  Hype train!  Rising in the Bingo power rankings!  Another REALLY tough matchup with the Eagles coming to town!

5 minutes ago, neovenator250 said:

:w00t:  Hype train!  Rising in the Bingo power rankings!  Another REALLY tough matchup with the Eagles coming to town!

The schedule New Orleans has already played is tough...if y'all get passed the Eagles this Sunday, I think you're clear favorites (barring injury) for a first round bye.

4 minutes ago, bingo415 said:

.if y'all get passed the Eagles this Sunday, I think you're clear favorites (barring injury) for a first round bye.

we've got a lot more to prove (especially on the road) before I start buying that we're even near that good.  for now, I'm just happy to see improvement.  Hopefully, Cotton Lewis is a piece that can take some heat off Jenkins and JBS keeps producing.