OPPORTUNITY KNOCKS

After falling to #2 in the rankings, the Michigan Wolverines received some more disappointment over the weekend as they fell 17-16 on a last second field goal to the 25th ranked Penn State Nittany Lions. This loss opened up the B1G East and set up a potential deciding game in the final week between Michigan and long time rival and 7th ranked, Ohio State.

SOMEONE HAS GOTTA DO IT

As the AFC North tries to figure out who really wants to win the division and play in the playoffs, the battle heats up as Cincinnati, Cleveland, and Baltimore all win their respective games. The Pittsburgh Steelers will play Monday night to see if they can remain tied with Baltimore for the lead at 6-6.

STARS OF TOMORROW

Recruiting season begins to wind down but there are still some major decisions to be made as teams look to fill out their classes. Will these players be able to live up to the hype? Or will they crumble under the pressure of expectations. Stay tuned to find out.

EASTBOUND AND DOWN

The battle for the NFC East remains hot as well, for all the right reasons as both the Philadelphia Eagles and the Dallas Cowboys picked up wins on Sunday. The Eagles beat the Falcons 31-28 and the Cowboys beat the Panthers 31-20, making the NFC South a bloodbath as well as the league heads towards the playoffs.
    Chatbox -
    Rome (40253) . Darman (35099) . Soluna (30443) . stormstopper (22124) . grv413 (20977) .

You don't have permission to chat.
      Load More
    Soluna

2018 FIFA World Cup Thread

1 month left, let's get it started!

Brazil announced their 23 today.

GK: Cássio (Corinthians), Alisson (Roma), Ederson (Man City)

DEF: Danilo (Man City), Geromel (Grêmio), Filipe Luís (Atletico Madrid), Marcelo (Real Madrid), Marquinhos (PSG), Miranda (Internazionale), Fágner (Corinthians), Thiago Silva (PSG)

MID: Casemiro (Real Madrid), Fernandinho (Man City), Fred (Shakthar), Paulinho (Barcelona), Coutinho (Barcelona), Renato Augusto (Beijing), Willian (Chelsea)

FW: Douglas Costa (Juventus), Firmino (Liverpool), Gabriel Jesus (Man City), Neymar (PSG), Taison (Shakthar)

Damn, that Brazil line-up looks like they could be a real challenger again.

With Italy and Austria both missing the tournament, I'm struggling to find a team to root for, but I'm definitely already hyped for the Cup. Uruguay, England or Serbia putting together a run would be fun!

13 minutes ago, SlinkyJr said:

It sucks that Jozy Altidore might not be healthy for the World Cup this year

for real though I’ll be rooting for Brazil as per usual, this is totally the year

I hate to tell you this, but it doesn't matter if Jozy were healthy or not...no USA. 

That Brazil 23 is ridiculous, especially in the midfield. Their back line is good-not-great, but it may not matter because Fernandinho and Casemiro and Paulinho might not let anything through there.

XI?

Ederson

Danilo - Marquinhos - Thiago Silva - Marcelo

Casemiro - Fernandinho

Paulinho

Douglas Costa - Firmino - Neymar 

Gabriel Jesus, Countinho, Willian, Felipe Luis on the bench? That's crazy-town.

2 minutes ago, vollmagnet said:

Damn, that Brazil line-up looks like they could be a real challenger again.

With Italy and Austria both missing the tournament, I'm struggling to find a team to root for, but I'm definitely already hyped for the Cup. Uruguay, England or Serbia putting together a run would be fun!

How about... Germany? silly mountain german

23 minutes ago, Soluna said:

1 month left, let's get it started!

Brazil announced their 23 today.

GK: Cássio (Corinthians), Alisson (Roma), Ederson (Man City)

DEF: Danilo (Man City), Geromel (Grêmio), Filipe Luís (Atletico Madrid), Marcelo (Real Madrid), Marquinhos (PSG), Miranda (Internazionale), Fágner (Corinthians), Thiago Silva (PSG)

MID: Casemiro (Real Madrid), Fernandinho (Man City), Fred (Shakthar), Paulinho (Barcelona), Coutinho (Barcelona), Renato Augusto (Beijing), Willian (Chelsea)

FW: Douglas Costa (Juventus), Firmino (Liverpool), Gabriel Jesus (Man City), Neymar (PSG), Taison (Shakthar)

Losing Dani Alves so close to the world cup hurts, but we sure Danilo can hold up, and we trust Tite.

There are 3 players on this squad that I really don't get why they were selected: Fred (Shakthar); Renato Augusto (Beijing); Taison (Shakthar)

Any of you have an opinion about them?

Just now, bingo415 said:

I hate to tell you this, but it doesn't matter if Jozy were healthy or not...no USA. 

That Brazil 23 is ridiculous, especially in the midfield. Their back line is good-not-great, but it may not matter because Fernandinho and Casemiro and Paulinho might not let anything through there.

XI?

Ederson

Danilo - Marquinhos - Thiago Silva - Marcelo

Casemiro - Fernandinho

Paulinho

Douglas Costa - Firmino - Neymar 

Gabriel Jesus, Countinho, Willian, Felipe Luis on the bench? That's crazy-town.

Tite usually utilize this XI:

Alisson

Danilo(?) - Marquinhos - Miranda - Marcelo

Casemiro  -  Renato Augusto

Willian    -  Coutinho    - Neymar

Gabriel Jesus

The real question here is Danilo. Dani Alves owns this position, but, with his injury, no one knows if Tite trust Fagner enough to give him the starting spot

Costa Rica's squad (23 man)

GK: Keylor Navas (Real Madrid), Patrick Pemberton (Alajuelense), Leonel Moreira (Herediano).

DF: Giancarlo Gonzalez (Bolognia), Bryan Oviedo (Sunderland), Ronald Matarrita (New York City), Kendall Waston (Vancouver Whitecaps), Ian Smith (Norrkoping), Cristian Gamboa (Celtic), Oscar Duarte (Espanyol), Francisco Calvo (Minnesota United), Johnny Acosta (Rionegro, Colombia).

MF: Yeltsin Tejeda (Lausanne Sport), Celso Borges (Deportiva La Coruna), David Guzman (Portland Timbers), Cristian Bolanos (Saprissa), Bryan Ruiz (Sporting Lisbon), Daniel Colindres (Saprissa), Rodney Wallace (New York City) Randall Azofeifa (Herediano)

FW: Marco Urena (Los Angeles FC), Joel Campbell (Real Betis), Johan Venegas (Saprissa)

Australia (prelim 26 man)

Goalkeepers: Brad Jones (Feyenoord), Mat Ryan (Brighton), Danny Vukovic (Genk)

Defenders: Aziz Behich (Bursaspor), Milos Degenek (Yokohama F. Marinos), Matthew Jurman (Suwon Samsung Bluewings), Fran Karacic (Lokomotiva), James Meredith (Millwall), Josh Risdon (Western Sydney Wanderers), Trent Sainsbury (Grasshoppers)

Midfielders: Josh Brillante (Sydney FC), Jackson Irvine (Hull), Mile Jedinak (Aston Villa), Robbie Kruse (Bochum), Massimo Luongo (Queens Park Rangers), Mark Milligan (Al Ahli), Aaron Mooy (Huddersfield), Tom Rogic (Celtic), James Troisi (Melbourne Victory)

Forwards: Daniel Arzani (Melbourne City), Tim Cahill (Millwall), Tomi Juric (FC Luzern), Mathew Leckie (Hertha Berlin), Andrew Nabbout (Urawa Red Diamonds), Dimitri Petratos (Newcastle Jets), Nikita Rukavytsya (Maccabi Haifa)

5 minutes ago, bmlig95 said:

Losing Dani Alves so close to the world cup hurts, but we sure Danilo can hold up, and we trust Tite.

There are 3 players on this squad that I really don't get why they were selected: Fred (Shakthar); Renato Augusto (Beijing); Taison (Shakthar)

Any of you have an opinion about them?

Taison and Fred have incriminating pictures of Tite on their cell phones ( :) )

No, none of the three make sense. Fred is too old, Taison is too young, and Renato Augusto isn't playing any competition at all. Might as well have called Oscar while they were at it...

2 minutes ago, Soluna said:

Costa Rica's squad (23 man)

GK: Keylor Navas (Real Madrid), Patrick Pemberton (Alajuelense), Leonel Moreira (Herediano).

DF: Giancarlo Gonzalez (Bolognia), Bryan Oviedo (Sunderland), Ronald Matarrita (New York City), Kendall Waston (Vancouver Whitecaps), Ian Smith (Norrkoping), Cristian Gamboa (Celtic), Oscar Duarte (Espanyol), Francisco Calvo (Minnesota United), Johnny Acosta (Rionegro, Colombia).

MF: Yeltsin Tejeda (Lausanne Sport), Celso Borges (Deportiva La Coruna), David Guzman (Portland Timbers), Cristian Bolanos (Saprissa), Bryan Ruiz (Sporting Lisbon), Daniel Colindres (Saprissa), Rodney Wallace (New York City) Randall Azofeifa (Herediano)

FW: Marco Urena (Los Angeles FC), Joel Campbell (Real Betis), Johan Venegas (Saprissa)

A truly unimpressive squad that will somehow win a group game and maybe sneak into the second round...

Just now, Soluna said:

One last time I can bring this up before it loses relevance.

*furiously Muellers*

We meme this here in Brazil.

When everything goes wrong, we say: "Everyday is a different 1-7"

1 minute ago, Soluna said:

How about... Germany? silly mountain german

Like... never? ;)

I actually like German Football since Klinsmann/Löw, but my Austrian honor (and our small brother-greed complex) would never permit me to really root for them.

7 minutes ago, bingo415 said:

I actually think the back line is better than anything they had in Defense, maybe since I watch the WC?

Only unknown for me are the GKs, haven't really seen anyone of those play.

@bmlig95

Can't help with the reasoning for those nominations either. Still, I think this team will go far.

9 minutes ago, vollmagnet said:

Like... never? ;)

I actually like German Football since Klinsmann/Löw, but my Austrian honor (and our small brother-greed complex) would never permit me to really root for them.

I actually think the back line is better than anything they had in Defense, maybe since I watch the WC?

Only unknown for me are the GKs, haven't really seen anyone of those play.

@bmlig95

Can't help with the reasoning for those nominations either. Still, I think this team will go far.

let me spell it out for you: A N S C H L U S S

As a Scottish person who has once again been disappointed by the love of his national team, I find my self, once again, forced to root for which ever team my English friends hate the most along with the underdogs and the referees.

Although given it's Russia, the refs will be corrupt so I can't even support them this year!

Sorry to scoop you, Soluna...But here's Germany's prelim squad:

DdO6GG2WsAAeqTC.jpg:large

Of course, one has to wonder if this news about Özil and Gündogan hanging out with Erdogan makes their place in the 23 a bit iffy...

I'd say slap them on the wrist, and include them. Too good not to be there...

So...XI I would love to see (not sure HOW realistic):

Neuer

Hector - Boateng - Hummels/Rudiger - Kimmich

Kroos

Müller - Özil - Draxler - Sané

Reus