Thursday Night Kickoff

Christian Skaggs and the Panthers travel to the desert to take on Nick Hall and the Raiders in the Season Opener.

Take A Bow

#1 Auburn cruises to a comfortable victory on the back of a powerhouse offense and a defense that left no room for TCU QB Felix Luck to breathe.
    Chatbox -
    Rome (2070) . neovenator250 (2045) . Darman (1389) . acewulf (1190) . npklemm (1130) .

You don't have permission to chat.
      Load More
    Minnowsotan

Who was your worst player to ever start?

I was looking through my Iowa State history trying to find out when I was absolutely trash and what was my worst player ever to start for my team and I came to the conclusion that it was DE Steven Jordan I know hes a good player in the NFL and I dont know how he was rated so highly. When he played for Iowa State he did not record a single statistic in his entire college career. I do not know how someone who is that highly scouted can not prove himself on the field. (Honestly August Blank was probably the worst thing to come out of Iowa State)

5 minutes ago, Minnowsotan said:

I was looking through my Iowa State history trying to find out when I was absolutely trash and what was my worst player ever to start for my team and I came to the conclusion that it was DE Steven Jordan I know hes a good player in the NFL and I dont know how he was rated so highly. When he played for Iowa State he did not record a single statistic in his entire college career. I do not know how someone who is that highly scouted can not prove himself on the field. (Honestly August Blank was probably the worst thing to come out of Iowa State)

I really think you gotta go with Blank for that one. It's certainly possible (though not easy) for a DE to make at least a bit of an impact without making a statsheet. Blank was truly, truly bad, to the point where his season was barely better than what Vaughn Sheppard's doing as a 1.0/4.5. I don't know how well wins above replacement would fit in football, but if we had that stat I'd bet Blank's would be negative.

As for my own answer, Paul Gibbs. There were a few times when he looked like he was going to be useful, especially as a 5.0/5.0. It was all a lie. He was terrible. He never demonstrated speed as a speed back. He lost 3 fumbles in 25 games back when fumbles were a lot rarer than they are now. He had nine 100-yard rushing games with a run-first team. He was our starting RB for the only two times we lost to Kansas State, for a loss to Oklahoma, and for a 2-10 season. I thought it might have been my coaching (and that's certainly still a factor), then he came out as a 77 as a 5.0/5.0 and has regressed every year since then. As Michael Scott once said (presumably about Paul Gibbs), "I hate so much about the things that you choose to be."

Bobby Davies and Darren Lemons... They are the "QBs" of the Mountaineers this year. 

We lost some heart-breakers early in the season, but their ineptitude has taken on all new levels.  It honestly wouldn't surprise me if you combined their stats and they ended up being the worst "quarterback" in conference history.  

Thank goodness next season's team is going to be infinitely more talented than this one.  

QB Aiden Higgins was a 3.5* scrambling QB who was the signal caller for KSU when I took over in 2018.  He was just a running back.  He couldn't throw the ball to save his life.  

In 2018 he went 34 for 77 (44%) for 431 yards, 0 TDs, and 3 INTs. 

In 2019 he got benched mid season for Julius Minnow but before he got benched he was 26 for 51 (51%) for 320 yards, 1 TD, and 4 INTs.  

For his career he completed 46% of his passes and only threw 1 TD vs 7 INTs.  Even as a runner he wasn't that good.  He managed 133 yards on 46 carries (2.89 YPC) for 3 TDs.

Willie Carr, QB, at Colorado.

Inaugural QB who was a 3/3 [Pocket] kid. He just really seemed to suck. I benched him for a scrambler the second season, but went back when that flopped. I've had statistically worse, but underdeveloped players. Carr had peaked as soon as he started and... yeah. Gross.