Thursday Night Kickoff

Christian Skaggs and the Panthers travel to the desert to take on Nick Hall and the Raiders in the Season Opener.

Take A Bow

#1 Auburn cruises to a comfortable victory on the back of a powerhouse offense and a defense that left no room for TCU QB Felix Luck to breathe.
    Chatbox -
    neovenator250 (2024) . Rome (1944) . Darman (1249) . acewulf (1108) . npklemm (1049) .

You don't have permission to chat.
      Load More
    Kirby

What position would you play? (Or have/do play)

Being from the UK we don’t really have many American Football teams and I’ve always asked myself where I’d of played and where I could of gone if I did grow up in the states.

I have played rugby my whole teen/adult life and have played at a reasonably good level here (County Captain throughout school/college) and I believe I probably could of gone further if I wasn’t so committed to my music career. Although a different sport entirely, the physicality between the two makes it the sport which most resembles American Football here in the UK.

I believe I would of been a Linebacker as tackling, work rate, and intensity are my three strongest assets. I’m 6 foot 1 and a pretty good build.

I’m interested to hear where you all believe you would of played, or if you have played or are a current player, what position you are?

Considering I have bricks for hands (despite me being a catcher in baseball) and I am 6'0" I was 155lbs until I started college but now I am 185 lbs (not muscle) and I am injury prone (1 torn shoulder labrum and a former torn ankle) Proabably a cornerback or safety. I cant see myself on the offensive side of a ball being hit all the time and being tackled. I have always wanted to become a kicker however not sure why it just seems fun to kick a 30+ yarder and then get all the credit. As for my build look up lanky white guy and thats pretty much what I look like

I really want to be a kicker and / or punter, which is about all I have a realistic shot at considering I have just about the same build as Harmon Tedesco. I still have two years of HS left, who knows.

I played for the past 3 years of high school and decided to step away from the team for my senior year. I've played pretty much every position on the offensive and defensive lines, but I was mainly converted into a center last season and played a lot due to injuries and stuff, starting in about 5 of our 10 games. I'm 5'10" 250 lbs, lacking a bit of height but made up for it by being one of the only linemen intelligent enough to play center and run the OL.

19 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Being from the UK we don’t really have many American Football teams and I’ve always asked myself where I’d of played and where I could of gone if I did grow up in the states.

There's a few teams in the UK, I play DE for Lincolnshire and I also play for my university team as well. 6"4 - 235 lbs. I'm more of a pass rusher, but I'm a competent player.

1 minute ago, KBlack47 said:

There's a few teams in the UK, I play DE for Lincolnshire and I also play for my university team as well. 6"4 - 235 lbs. I'm more of a pass rusher, but I'm a competent player.

Yeh there’s a team not to far from me but i’m not sure how competitive they are and how frequent the games are.

3 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Yeh there’s a team not to far from me but i’m not sure how competitive they are and how frequent the games are.

I'd suggest looking at the BAFA site but BAFA aren't that great. Best bet is to ask around during early spring as that's when most teams start preseason, then games last from May till August.

I was forced to play OT and DT as a 6'1" 150lbs tiny shit who's arms were twigs. But in college, I grew outwards like most people to a good 220 and I have cut that down to around 200 in the last 2 years. If I were to play today, I would definitely be a Blitz OLB or a 3rd Down Pass Rush DE.

There is a league here, but there are only 5 teams and most have about 15-20 players, most don't have junior teams either. If I were to play I would probably project as a CB/FS or Slot WR at 5"10 154 with absolutely no strength training. I am a defender in every sport I have played, and my best traits are my effort, reading of the game, leadership and discipline, I have okay hands and am probably above average in long speed and average in short area movement.

If I had gone through with playing football, my size dictated I would be an OL, probably a tackle. However, I would've loved to have played tight end. I was an average blocker but have good hands catching and feel like my 6'3" frame with a more appropriate body would've worked well. My high school ran out of the "I" my first three years but were a spread my senior year.

1 hour ago, Kirby said:

So I reached out to Bury Saints, they are about 30 miles from me. BAFA Premiership team, although they are bottom of the league!

I’m going to practice with them on Sunday.

Will let you all know how it goes!!!

All the best!

Played cornerback for the University of Rhode Island up until the spring, I was only 5'9, and a mix of grades and young starters ahead of me I figured I'd focus on grades and to have good post grad options (law school).

1 hour ago, Kirby said:

So I reached out to Bury Saints, they are about 30 miles from me. BAFA Premiership team, although they are bottom of the league!

I’m going to practice with them on Sunday.

Will let you all know how it goes!!!

I joined semipro in 2016, and got absolutely wrecked by two big 6'5"+, 330+ linemen (I'm 5'10" and was 190) at my first practice. Unless you absolutely hate it, if something similar happens to you at your first practice with them, stick with it if you can. 2.5 years later, I'm actually big enough and strong enough to hold my own out there, and more importantly, I've met a few of my best friends through semipro.

If you end up needing to buy your own equipment, don't be afraid to browse through places like Ebay. Not sure about the selection you'll have in the UK, but a lot of second-hand stuff can be had for pretty cheap (I know guys who have gotten top of the line helmets, worn twice, for $50, and also know a guy who got a ton of leftover cleats from the University of Wisconsin and sold them for like $20/pair), and maybe if you end up having to buy something from the US, the shipping + cost will still be cheaper than straight from a retailer. You could also reach out to a top equipment company and see if they offer discounts, we used to get something like 15% off through Riddell and now get the same 15% off from a local sporting goods store. Of course, all of this could be irrelevant if your team loans you equipment, but I love to kill hours browsing for purchases I could hypothetically make.

Good luck man!