Cotton Bowl: #1 SMU vs. #8 Washington

In a rematch of Week 12, where SMU defeated Washington 23-20, QBs Marcus Burden and Jake Davis face off once again.

Fiesta Bowl: #2 LSU vs. #7 Tennessee

In a rematch of the SEC Championship Game, won by LSU 13-7, Tigers OLB Leonard England will try to get the better of Vols QB Adrian Goldson for a second time.

Peach Bowl: #3 Oklahoma vs. #6 Duke

In a matchup of noted Heisman candidates, the Sooners and CB Elijah Williams will try to stop the potent Blue Devils offense led by QB Bryce Thompson.

CFBHC Bowl: #4 Michigan vs. #5 Florida

A playoff matchup of last year's bowl season, where Michigan won 24-17, sees Wolverines RB Nick Rowland try to outpace Gators QB Darion Harrison.

BROWNS WIN!!!!

In the final week, the Browns, led by RB Sean Bell's 156 yards and 2 TD, avoid a winless season by the skin of their teeth in Week 17 by defeating the Bengals 30-24 in OT.
  • Shoutbox

Shoutbox

Please enter your display name

Soluna

Board games

I got my kickstarter for Root a few days ago and have already played a few times. What an amazing experience, it really feels like a COIN game made accessible. Did anyone else back it?

I wanted to but I forgot about it until the last day and apparently "closing at midnight" meant "closing at midnight GMT," so I missed out. :(

2 minutes ago, Jieret said:

I wanted to but I forgot about it until the last day and apparently "closing at midnight" meant "closing at midnight GMT," so I missed out. :(

It should be in stores in a few weeks.

16 minutes ago, neovenator250 said:

Went to MechaCon here in New Orleans last weekend and they had a copy of Gloomhaven+Forgotten Circles expansion for $225.  Did I make a mistake by not buying it?

Gloomhaven is about 130 MSRP right now I think and Forgotten Circles is not due out for like two or three months (for about 30 dollars I think?) ... so maybe

3 minutes ago, Soluna said:

Gloomhaven is about 130 MSRP right now I think and Forgotten Circles is not due out for like two or three months (for about 30 dollars I think?) ... so maybe

Hmmm...if they have copies in Galveston for Oni-Con, maybe I'll think about it again.  

Picked up Root on sale on MiniatureMarket for $40 which is a great price if you missed out on the Kickstarter. Super excited for it, looks right up my alley. Will probably grab the expansion ASAP too since the new factions in that look great.

Any knowledge of Planetarium or The Ancient World? Both look gorgeous but I've been burned on pretty but shitty games before haha. @Soluna

1 hour ago, ZackTyzwyz said:

Any knowledge of Planetarium or The Ancient World? Both look gorgeous but I've been burned on pretty but shitty games before haha. @Soluna

I have Planetarium and I've played ancient world. The first is fun but it's a really short abstract. I don't like most Laukat games like ancient world although they look nice.

So, as a *slightly crazy board game person, is root worth searching out and getting? Mind you, I'm still in college and already own too many board games. But there's always room for another great one in my collection.

In case people are wondering what kind of games I like. I just did my Top 100 games of all time list. (My group always has everyone do theirs and we keep track of them to see how our likes/dislikes change).

image.png

Been playing a good bit of TI4 lately. After the 12 hour game we took a few month break since we were kind of burned out. But I think we learned a lot during that game on how to optimize turns and we burned through our last game with the same number of players in like 5 hours and are feeling really fresh about it. We've also been trying more and more complex races which makes things more interesting. 

Hoping to get a lot of gaming done during winter break. Have been itching to play Ocean's Hungry Grasp in Spirit Island since his mechanics seem like a ton of fun, but I just need the group to complement his style.

Ocean is my favorite SI spirit.

Games I played this week:

Amerigo (3 players) - I'm not a big Stefan Feld fan but I do quite like the simplicity of Amerigo. It's a game with decent strategy with a good trade off for easy to understand rules especially for people brand new to the hobby. I don't need to play this often but it's not a game I hate.

Flamme Rouge (1 player) - One of my favorite games (and probably the only light game in my top 50). Man I really do just love cycling so this cycling race game is just the best.

7th Continent (3 players) - My favorite game. No question. At one point we all stood up and starting clapping and high-fiving when we figured out a puzzle. Nothing else needs to be said.

Playing Catan and a brand new card game I got in the mail from Kickstarter this weekend, Charty Party tomorrow 

Is anyone else going to Gencon this year? This will be my third straight year attending and I can see myself going back almost indefinitely, such a great time.

50 minutes ago, Broletariat said:

Is anyone else going to Gencon this year? This will be my third straight year attending and I can see myself going back almost indefinitely, such a great time.

Nah, not even going to Dice Tower Con. I think I'm done with Cons to be honest, they just aren't worth it to me.

Just played Teotihuacan (3 players): Excellent as always, the only thing dragging this game down a bit are the excessive upkeep and the fact that it has a bit of a runaway leader problem. The expansion (Late Preclassic Period) comes out soon and hopefully fixes my minor problems.

8 hours ago, Soluna said:

Just played Teotihuacan (3 players): Excellent as always, the only thing dragging this game down a bit are the excessive upkeep and the fact that it has a bit of a runaway leader problem. The expansion (Late Preclassic Period) comes out soon and hopefully fixes my minor problems.

We were looking at that game the other day, haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Chef recommends? Will expansion allow more players or just deeper gameplay for 3?

3 hours ago, bingo415 said:

We were looking at that game the other day, haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Chef recommends? Will expansion allow more players or just deeper gameplay for 3?

Makes it more complex with additional modules. It's a pretty heavy complicated game but I think the expansion will make it even better.

Played Twilight Struggle (2p) this afternoon, excellent game as always and still very deserving of its spot in the top ten games of all time. I was USSR this time and narrowly lost in the 10th turn.

I just got this in the mail Tuesday from a kickstarter I backed about a year ago.  I haven't gotten to play it but I've read through the rules and it looks really good!

d936a664ad08c1310f151c388f09a4dc_origina

Been playing Flamme Rouge (1p) all day with the Grand Tour rules against 3 bot teams.

I narrowly lost the 8 stage Tour de France I made, I ended up about 1 min behind the winner with my Rouleur. My Sprinteur only got third place for the Green jersey and I wasn't in the top 5 with either rider for the Polka-Dot jersey.

Back this on kickstarter today, looks like a good implementation of area control that hasn't been done before and it's a geology game :wub:

For the people who love 7th Continent and such, here's an upcoming one from the Tainted Grail people that looks awesome

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/awakenrealms/1285004344?ref=812476&token=a7689b14

I'm about to get Tainted Grail from the same publisher, super hyped