Thursday Night Kickoff

Christian Skaggs and the Panthers travel to the desert to take on Nick Hall and the Raiders in the Season Opener.

Take A Bow

#1 Auburn cruises to a comfortable victory on the back of a powerhouse offense and a defense that left no room for TCU QB Felix Luck to breathe.
    Chatbox -
    neovenator250 (2027) . Rome (1951) . Darman (1277) . acewulf (1108) . npklemm (1062) .

You don't have permission to chat.
      Load More
    vollmagnet

Podcast recommendations

I'm just getting started with finding podcasts to listen to, via falling in love with Audio Books over the last years.

I've already found some good stuff but that's German so it wouldn't make a lot of sense recommending it to you guys. If I find some gems in English, I'll make sure to post them.

I'm mainly interested in sports, politics, history, good interviews, music, good sciency stuff but also always try to look to expand my horizon, so I'll gladly take anything else you feel is just too good to not recommend. One thing I don't like are just spotlight things. Like, I'll gladly listen to a 100 part series on modern war, I rarely enjoy TED talks and simple "did you know" 5 minute videos on YouTube. Anything that is able to set things into a broader context is normally something I thoroughly enjoy.

But I also think there's others that would enjoy those recommendations, so just post them anyway ;)

For College Football: Podcast Aint Played Nobody and Shutdown Fullcast. I used to listen to The Solid Verbal but the hosts were just really obnoxious to me.

Others: The History of Rome, R U Talkin' U2 To Me, R U Talkin REM RE: Me, Art of Charm, Up First, and Revolutions. 

Pardon My Take is the best sports podcast out there. It’s funny but they also have really good interviews with people across all the major American sports. 

I also like the NFL podcast by the Ringer as well as The Pat McAfee Show.

Politics wise The Wilderness is a great look at the American Democratic Party (and hosted by Jon Favreau, the former head speech writer for Barack Obama and the current host of another politics podcast, Pod Save America). 

The best single episode of a podcast I’ve ever listened to was Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History Episode 48, about the German city of Munster in the beginning of the Protestant Reformation. It is one of the craziest stories I’ve ever heard. It’s 4 hours long, but absolutely gripping. 

I personally really enjoy the Solid Verbal.

Comedy Bang Bang, Womp It Up, The Dollop, Hollywood Handbook, and Dumb People Town are my favorite comedy podcasts.

I enjoy R U Talkin REM RE: Me as well.

For broadening your horizon, listen to the Bodega Boys podcast. Lol if you're looking for sports, they're not it. Unless you want to hear about New York teams or players. Interesting take on current events, funny guys from the Bronx. 

Planet Money and Freakonomics Radio are always solid listens, although I'm not sure they're up your wheelhouse based on what you've posted they're at least tangentially related to politics :P

I'm really into mystery/paranormal podcasts even though I don't believe basically any of it. If you like listening to good stories try one of them. Cabinet of curiosities has really good very short "weird coincidence" type stories. Lore was really good initially but has gotten worse. Astonishing Legends is really good for a critical view on weird stories from history.

Other than that I think This American Life is still the best podcast that exists.

as others have said, if you want a serious college football podcast, Solid Verbal is about as good as you can get. 

if you want a funny irreverent college football podcast where they draft 8 QBs in the first round of an NFL draft and take a TE at #2 overall then you want the Shutdown Fullcast

comedy history is The Dollop and there is nothing close

politics would be Pod Save America

as an aside if you really like Harry Potter (and I mean really like), my girlfriend listens to a podcast called Swish and Flick, where they break down chronologically a chapter of a Harry Potter book each week

For something that can be lighter, my favorite podcast is W Kamau Bell's podcast "Denzel Washington is the Greatest Actor of all time Period" which you can listen to on SoundCloud. They pretty much review Denzel movies and talk about various stuff. They also get guests line Ava Duevernay and Ryan Googler and talk about more "black movies".  

My Brother, My Brother and Me is my regular when working out. Love The Adventure Zone as well. Pretty regular comedy fair but they occasionally into laughing fits that nothing really does anymore. 

For long drives or flights, it's Hardcore History for me. 

9 hours ago, Jumbo said:

Planet Money and Freakonomics Radio are always solid listens, although I'm not sure they're up your wheelhouse based on what you've posted they're at least tangentially related to politics :P

Second for Freakonomics.  Radio Lab is one of my favorites for sciency stuff with a wide variety of topics.

One podcast I like to listen too is The Chilluminati Podcast. It's a conspiracy/paranormal/alien/true crime/weird happening type stuff podcast. It's three let's play youtubers so it's not super serious but like serious enough to be interesting.  

On 8/13/2018 at 10:16 AM, Jumbo said:

I'll second Planet Money.  One of my favorite podcasts of all time.  Who thought an economics podcast could be fun?

On 8/15/2018 at 6:02 PM, constapatedape said:

Slow Burn is a must

The RFK Tapes is also amazing 

I just started Slow Burn today! Almost finished Season 1 about Watergate and couldn't stop listening since I have over 2 hours of driving everyday. Such a great series. Definitely a +1 from me on this series. The way he draws in parallels to todays society so subtly I think is very interesting and doesn't seem like hes trying to force it. Great series. I also listen to JRE and This Past Weekend by Theo Von. Both comedians that interview people so if that's your cup of tea both are really good. Both bring in people from all walks of life and just talk to them for 2-3 hours and I always learn something.