Thursday Night Kickoff

Christian Skaggs and the Panthers travel to the desert to take on Nick Hall and the Raiders in the Season Opener.

Take A Bow

#1 Auburn cruises to a comfortable victory on the back of a powerhouse offense and a defense that left no room for TCU QB Felix Luck to breathe.
    Chatbox -
    neovenator250 (2017) . Rome (1934) . Darman (1246) . acewulf (1079) . npklemm (1024) .

You don't have permission to chat.
      Load More
    Sign in to follow this  
    serwendel

serwendel's 2022 Pre-Combine Mock Draft

Image result for nfl draft logo

With the 2022 combine not too far ahead, I've come out with yet another wildly inaccurate mock draft. I would like to thank the teams that updated their team pages, it really made it easier to see who to pick. If you see any mistakes, or have any issues with my picks please feel free to yell at me. I probably won't change anything, but it's nice to get feedback. Anyways, without further ado, here is the least accurate mock draft of this offseason:

1. :chargers: - DE Timothy Key 6-2 240 R Florida [Contain] 83

Honestly, I don't particularly like Key as a pick here, Key would be the 4th edge defender in 4 years taken with the Chargers' first pick, but it does make a certain amount of sense. Key has had an excellent year playing DE for the University of Florida, and would be an excellent bookend for LAC's DL opposite Isaiah Hall. I feel like the other options at number 1 look a bit lackluster for the Chargers, popular number one pick has been hyped up, but I have a feeling that the Chargers want to see how Matty Swift can play with both actual WRs and the semblance of an OL. Personally, I think that Noah Barney out of Ohio State would be the best fit for the Chargers, but I can't see them drafting a guard at number one overall. When this pick is traded look for the Chargers to grab Barney then. Another option to look at here is RB Trevon Yeldon, on the off chance that the Chargers want to have a two dimensional offense for once.

2. :giants: - RB Trevon Yeldon 6-0 233 R Oregon [Power] 82

The Giants have been pretty happy with the number two pick this year, and it's easy to see why. My opinion is that New York is waiting to pick whichever of Yeldon or Jones falls to two. If both players are available, look for the Giants to grab the standout RB out of Oregon as they address their need for a QB in free agency.

3. :bengals:  - OG Noah Barney 6-1 336 R Ohio State [Pass Blocking] 82

Cincinnati has made it pretty clear that they're looking to set up their team for a quick rebuild. To aid in that factor, they grad the best guard on the market. Barney has the skills to take over a starting job this season, and to ultimately take over for longtime NFLHCer Art Wagner.

4. :bills: - QB Matt Jones 6-3 208 R Purdue [Pocket] 83

The Bills take a major sigh of relief, as they get their guy here without having to trade up. Jones is, of course, a great quarterback with tremendous upside. The Bills have been quite obviously eyeing him for a while now, despite having no one for him to throw to, and no RB to reliably take a few carries. 

5. :bills:  - CB Kenyon Justice 6-1 177 R Auburn [Zone Coverage] 82

After getting their quarterback, the Bills look to improve their defense. Kenyon Justice will immediately be the best CB on the Bills' roster, supplanting last years' first round pick Sean Taylor. Fortunately for the Bills, Justice should be the real thing, although don't expect him to be perfect while covering JC Weldon day one.

6. :cardinals:  - DT Shamar Ware 6-5 278 R Penn State [2-Gap] 82

I'm not too sure whether I like adding Ware to a 4-3 defense, but the Cardinals don't really have too many holes on their roster. Ware can take over the Cardinals' nose tackle position from day one if need be, and should be a stout addition to a young Arizona defense.

7. :bills:  - ILB Tyrese Thompson 6-3 228 R Auburn [Mike] 82

Buffalo grabs another big time Auburn defender here. Thompson had an excellent year on one of the SEC's best defense. Look for Thompson to start over ILB Mike Bledsoe, who is considering retirement.

8. :jaguars:  - WR Jarvis Ward 5-9 189 R Texas A&M [Speed] 82

The obvious choice here for Soluna and the Jaguars is Kenyon Justice, due to the Jags weakness at corner. If Justice is already taken, look for them to take Shamar Ware. With both gone, I think that the Jaguars take a look at Jarvis Ward out of Texas A&M. Ward could be slotted into a slot role immediately, or maybe even the number two role if Jacksonville trades Gary Faneca.

9. :vikings: - DE Khairi Bryant 5-10 263 R Ohio State [Blitz] 83

So I'm pretty shocked that Bryant hadn't been picked yet, but after looking through the first eight teams again it makes sense. Buffalo and Jacksonville both already have two elite DEs apiece, LA is looking for a 3-4 guy, both the Giants and the Bengals have a great DE, and the Cardinals are still super young at the position. That leaves Bryant, and his 19.5(!) sack senior season, to fall to 9th. Minnesota has a clear need at DE, and several other positions, and Bryant can immediately suit up and make an impact for them.

10. :49ers: - DE Parker Holmes 6-3 247 R Tennessee [Contain] 81

San Francisco also looks to upgrade at DE, opting for the Parker Holmes, an amazing 3-4 DE out of Tennessee. Holmes earned 15.5 sacks last season while book ending Tennessee's amazing defensive line, and should inject some youth into San Francisco's aging defense.

11. :bears: - OT Brian Chavez 6-1 299 R Baylor [Pass Blocking] 82

After signing Vaughan Abraham to pair with Mohammed Foster, the Bears now have to answer the question of who's going to block for them. To that end, the Bears pick up Chavez, a huge future left tackle, shore up an offensive line that was on par with Cincinnati and LA (not the good LA) last year.

12. :browns:  - SS Shaq Turner 5-9 192 R Texas State [Zone Coverage] 82

First of all, I would like to apologize to the Browns for completely ignoring their team and mocking them an RB last year. Sean Bell is much better than I had thought at the time. This year look for Cleveland to grab the only strong safety with a first round grade in Shaq Turner. While Turner's stats were fairly pedestrian, low stat accumulations by the best player on a defense isn't necessarily the sign of a bad player. Turner is an automatic upgrade over the Browns current strong safety, Andrew Wade.

13. :patriots:  - DE Sebastian Smallwood 6-1 254 R Alabama [Blitz] 82

The Patriots appear to be playing chicken at the defensive end position as both of their projected starters at DE are reportedly considering retirement. Enter Sebastian Smallwood, a standout DE for Alabama. While Smallwood is likely not a scheme fit for NE, his talent should be able to help him adjust to a 3-4.

14. ::fibur: - QB Ryan Harris 6-4 213 R Fresno State [Pocket] 82

With an aging, and easily injured, Rob LeCount, as well as a young WR corps and an excellent OL, Detroit is probably the best case scenario for a QB in this draft. Don't be surprised if Detroit grabs Ryan Harris here to take over as the QB of the future next season.

15. :chargers:  - OG Angelo Denny 6-6 268 R UCLA [Pass Blocking] 81

The Chargers absolutely need to take a guard in the first this year. The position is terrible, with backup guard Robert Grant, and OT/OG Justin Way listed as the projected starters. Denny would be an instant improvement over either Grant or Way, although it remains to be seen whether even a good guard could drag the Chargers line out of the dumpster.

16. :giants:  - WR Tevin Lattimore 6-2 225 R Missouri [Target] 81

After missing out on Gregg Cobb, New York still has an extremely weak wide receiver corps. Fortunately the Giants are in luck to see Missouri standout Tevin Lattimore here. Lattimore had a fantastic season this past year, and the Giants certainly hope that he'll be their JC Weldon.

17. :falcons:  - QB Donald Culver 6-1 192 R Utah [Pocket] 81

After tagging AJ Jefferson, Atlanta certainly looks like they're getting ready to move away from the former number one pick. To replace him, the Falcons take Utah QB Donald Culver. Culver lead the Utes to the playoff this year despite questionable coaching, and should be an asset in the locker room as well as an excellent QB in the future. 

18. :chiefs:  - OG Josh Jones 6-4 308 R Missouri [Pass Blocking] 80

After reinventing themselves as a running team last season, Kansas City looks to improve their line. Jones can take over for NFLHC veteran Henry Badanjek, who is considering retirement. Don't be surprised if KC takes a QB here too, although personally I think they'll fill that opening from free agency. Harold Simmons won't cut it, even if he's only throwing 10 times a game.

19. :redskins: - RB Kenyon Randall 5-6 209 R LSU [Power] 82

Washington last year was a good team without a running back. This year, they aim to fix that problem. While Randall struggled at times last season, he eventually improved into one of the best running backs into the SEC. He should take another step forward while playing in Washington.

20. :saints: - DE Miles Slater 6-1 248 R Washington [Contain] 80

While I feel like the Saints were waiting on drafting the hometown kid in Kenyon Randall, New Orleans desperately needs to improve the DE2 position. Slater's stats weren't too encouraging this past year, as they were dragged down from teams sending double teams at Slater while his fellow members of the DL feasted. Slater should fit the Saints' 3-4 defense well, and be a force next to Jeremy Miller.

21. :steelers:  - C Xavier Cuellar 6-3 249 R Florida [Run Blocking] 81

After signing Norris Brooksheer to be their quarterback of the future, the Pittsburgh Steelers look to solidify the rest of their offense. Cuellar would be an instant improvement on the OL, and could start from day one.

22. :broncos: - FS Seth Scott 6-2 193 R Colorado [Man Coverage] 81

Although he isn't as good as Khalil Dennis, the Broncos take the local pick Seth Scott to improve their safety corps. Scott would be a massive help to a Broncos secondary that has to deal with Nick Hall twice a year.

23. :cowboys:  - OT D.J. Franklin 6-6 302 R Montana [Pass Blocking] 82

Probably a smokescreen, although word on the street is that the Cowboys are interested in improving their RT position.

24. :rams:  - RB DeSean Dockery 5-10 201 R Louisville [Speed] 81

After letting both Chad Dess and Frederick Chacon leave this offseason, the Rams look to draft a running back to block, catch passes, and occasionally run the football. In drafting Dockery the Rams hope to have found their guy, hoping to recreate the success the Eagles had from drafting Marshawn Miller last year.

25. :panthers:  - C David Sutton 6-1 273 R Louisiana Tech [Pass Blocking] 81

The Panthers have made it clear that they want a new center this draft. With Cuellar gone, they'll look at David Sutton out of Louisiana Tech.

26. :titans:  - RB Ricky Vega 5-10 214 R Penn State [Speed] 80

The Titans are yet another good team seriously lacking RB talent. Chris Bell had the starting job last season, and showed that he obviously isn't the future. In Vega, the Titans are looking for a pass catching back who can still be productive running the ball, and he should be successful at that. If Tennessee is looking to incorporate the running game more into their offense, expect them to take Evan Grant here.

27. :buccaneers: - C Javon Hargrove 6-3 251 R Houston [Pass Blocking] 80

While I know Buccaneers owner/GM rabidsnowman prefers a little more exciting of a first round pick, Hargrove might be his best bet to solidly improve his roster for this year. The Houston center would be an instant upgrade over current, center John Spears.

28. :jets:  - DT Omar Adcock 6-5 311 R Fresno State [1-Gap] 80

The Jets once again have an extremely good, well balanced roster. One area where they could look for an improvement is DT2, where a pair of young former MAC players are competing to be the replacement to Bob Ballard. Adcock is the only decent 1-gap defensive tackle in this class, and any DT needy 4-3 defense should be interested.

29. :packers:  - WR Ja'Wuan Howard 6-2 186 R Georgia [Target] 80

With Tom Grant mulling retirement, and Nomellini only getting older, the Packers decide to grab a wideout. Ja'Wuan Howard has had an excellent season at Georgia, which should translate well to the pros. The main question here is how well Howard can adjust to the slot, which is the only opening for him right now.

30. :patriots:  - RB Evan Grant 6-0 194 R Georgia State [Power] 81

With the second first given to the Patriots in the JC Weldon trade, the Patriots look to improve at running back. Evan Grant seems to be the best pick from the RBs left, he was a machine at Georgia State, and has proven that he can keep his performance up even with an insane amount of carries. That's good because Daniel Hutchins and his 3 YPC probably shouldn't be trusted to carry lunch, much less a football, and Shawn Cole is way too old to risk a season on.

31. :eagles: - FS Khalil Dennis 6-2 219 R Vanderbilt [Zone Coverage] 81

As fitting of the Super Bowl runners up, the Eagles don't have too many holes on their depth chart. They grab Khalil Dennis out of Vanderbilt, who should be a slight upgrade over Kevin Hartley, who looks to be leaving Philadelphia after this season.

32. :raiders: - TE Manny Ferguson 6-3 205 R Boston College [Receiving] 81

With Bryan Gary eyeing retirement, the Raiders should begin to look to find a replacement. Manny Ferguson has been an absolute stud at the TE position, putting up WR numbers for Boston College, and should be phenomenal when paired up with a QB as good as Nick Hall.

3 hours ago, deandean1998 said:

Intriguing mock for the Giants.  I love Tevin pre combine/pro day.  A trevon Tevin tandem would be exciting as fuck.

Yeah I really like both of those guys, and they both are at positions of need for you guys. Kinda pains me to mock them to a divisionfoe to be honest.

38 minutes ago, alienufo said:

thats a pretty wild top 10

Yeah, and I’m fairly certain that the draft won’t give this way. I certainly overvalued OL and RB here. I do think that it’s important to get a different perspective though, maybe it’ll help teams think up options they didn’t think were possible.

29 minutes ago, TuscanSota said:

In all seriousness, I think this is the highest position I've seen Brian Chavez for a mock draft

I mean there’s  not much separating the top three tackles right now, it all depends on personal preference, and what teams need OT help. It honestly wouldn’t surprise me to see Chavez here, or to watch him fall out of the first.

31 minutes ago, bingo415 said:

I like this mock because it feels wildly different from how I see the first playing out...but I like it! Broncos are most certainly looking at an upgrade at FS or SS or...

Great Mock!

Thanks!

I do have to say that it’s pretty easy to end up with a wildly different mock just by changing a couple of picks at the top. This one felt like it snowballed pretty quickly.

24 minutes ago, Rome said:

That's a LOT of RBs going in the first.

Yeah, and it would surprise me if I was right about how many RBs get picked in the first. I would like to point out that every team I mocked a running back to has either an average back thinking about retirement or absolute garbage at the position. The success of Jackson and Miller should also make people more willing to draft RBs high, especially with the quality of this year’s RBs.

2 minutes ago, serwendel said:

Yeah, and it would surprise me if I was right about how many RBs get picked in the first. I would like to point out that every team I mocked a running back to has either an average back thinking about retirement or absolute garbage at the position. The success of Jackson and Miller should also make people more willing to draft RBs high, especially with the quality of this year’s RBs.

I don't think most of those guys are Jackson and Miller, though...

I like the last 2/3 of this mock, but the top 10 looks like something Skip Bayliss would put together.

There is a 0.0% chance that Matt Jones lasts until 4, and a negative percentage chance that Bryant is sitting there at 9.  Even if either somehow slips past #2, the Bengals' phone lines would burst into flames from teams trying to trade up to 3 to get them, and the Bengals would certainly do that before taking a guard at #3.

3 hours ago, pumph said:

There is a 0.0% chance that Matt Jones lasts until 4, and a negative percentage chance that Bryant is sitting there at 9.  Even if either somehow slips past #2, the Bengals' phone lines would burst into flames from teams trying to trade up to 3 to get them, and the Bengals would certainly do that before taking a guard at #3.

I'm sorry, I replied to you before seeing this edit to your post.

I agree that there's not a very good chance that this mock accurately predicts the draft, and I agree that the Bengals would rather trade away #3 than draft a guard. However, it's impossible to predict trades correctly, and though I applaud Jieret for mocking with a trade in mind, I couldn't think of a good way to to decide on trades in this mock.

With that in mind I definitely considered having Jones going earlier, but I didn't really like the fit. You only just now got Matty Swift a good WR to throw to, and it might make sense to try him out for another year. Plus, if you think Swift won't work out, why would you trust your OL to keep Jones safe after letting Swift get destroyed for the last three seasons? The Giants have other needs, and I truly think a FA quarterback would make more of an impact if they went elsewhere with this pick. The Bengals are looking to rebuild, and Jones would be a great player to rebuild around, but honestly I prefer building around the OL, and the Bengals somehow are worst than you at guard.

As for Bryant, I touched on this in the mock draft, but he doesn't really fit on the teams that are drafting early. You guys and the Bengals run a 3-4, and both drafted great pieces for a 3-4 just last season. The Cardinals also have two good, young DEs, and should probably look elsewhere. That leaves the Giants, who quite frankly don't need Bryant. They already have a great DE in Curtis Lewis, and to be honest aren't going to be a threat until they grab good players at the skill positions, which they can do with the #2 pick. 

Oh, and if you're going to claim a player has a 0.0% of dropping, have the balls to commit to taking the guy #1. Otherwise it just looks like you're trying to inflate the trade value of the #1 pick.

15 hours ago, serwendel said:

Oh, and if you're going to claim a player has a 0.0% of dropping, have the balls to commit to taking the guy #1.

Jones is not slipping past #2, at worst. And if he goes 2, it's only because Bryant, Key, or maybe even Yeldon have a pro day that just creams all over them and someone wants them even more than a QB - then the Giants take Jones at 2, unless someone trades up with them to get him.  If Jones lasts until 4, or Bryant until 9, there's a whole lot of socks to be eaten.  I can't see any real scenario where either of those things could possibly happen.