Thursday Night Kickoff

Christian Skaggs and the Panthers travel to the desert to take on Nick Hall and the Raiders in the Season Opener.

Take A Bow

#1 Auburn cruises to a comfortable victory on the back of a powerhouse offense and a defense that left no room for TCU QB Felix Luck to breathe.
    Chatbox -
    neovenator250 (2030) . Rome (1962) . Darman (1295) . acewulf (1147) . npklemm (1084) .

You don't have permission to chat.
      Load More
    Rome

Is Runningback by Committee on a realistic rise in NFLHC?

With 2RB schemes and the rise of the third down back role on the depth chart, are we seeing/will we see a rise in RBBC for NFLHC teams? There are only so many Abrahams and Sowells out there, and not every team can have a 25-30 carry cowbell. Teams were already experimenting with the 2RB schemes (see DAL, KC) and some teams are currently experimenting with 3rd Down Backs.

Is a realistic style of a bullpen of running backs able to work in NFLHC? Which teams should we be looking at in 2022 to see if it holds up? Can a similar style be used in CFBHC?

We ran Jeremiah Newton as 3DRB last year and he'll continue to fill that role (at least) this year, behind DNJ.  We also picked up Aaron Street for depth, but considering his training camp and college stats, we may experiment using him and/or Newton in some 2RB sets, particularly if he handles the preseason well.  

I personally love the idea of multiple RB's if you have the talent to pull it off.  It keeps your guys fresh, makes the position nearly risk-free when it comes to injuries, and like with any good ground attack, keeps the defense honest.   Also, though i have no NFLHC evidence to support this, I expect it would extend the career of your RBs.

I feel like if given a chance the Texans would thrive in a 2RB scheme, Rome has said in the past that Arturo Pacheco is only effective when given a lot of carries and doesnt want to let him go because of the 1st round choice. To the point that he is working with 2 Runningbacks in his system why not try it out

4 minutes ago, Minnowsotan said:

I feel like if given a chance the Texans would thrive in a 2RB scheme, Rome has said in the past that Arturo Pacheco is only effective when given a lot of carries and doesnt want to let him go because of the 1st round choice. To the point that he is working with 2 Runningbacks in his system why not try it out

Sunk cost fallacy is a bitch

I'm new to coaching in NFLHC but the Redskins RB situation is not good.  We have a rookie 76 overall RB that we want to get some looks in the preseason and see what happens.  We will definitely be utilizing a 3rd down back but I'm not sure about a 2RB scheme.  I'm big on RBBC in real life.  I'm not sure in the sim though.

Part of the reason RBBC is such a big deal in the real NFL is because of how (relatively) easy it is to find contributors at the position.  RB seems to be kind of a tough position to evaluate in NFLHC so far, though.  If we get to a point at which a lot of teams have good RBs, then sure, maybe.  

Ravens have randomly hit on low-70s rookies two years in a row so we'll be running an RBBC to get the most out of our group. But unless you do that I don't think it's likely someone drafts 2 RBs high. The advent of rookie camps is definitely a massive help in finding the kind of diamonds in the rough that I think most teams will want if they are gonna run rbbc.

I don't think RBBC will ever be as effective as it is irl, because match ups are easier to exploit and schemes aren't defined, meaning you can do very specific things to highlight your RB's strengths and their defenses weaknesses, like we see with the Pats and Saints. I think it is on the rise in NFLHC but will never be as effective, but the Cowboys and Chiefs showed how grinding with one back and letting another run free on a tired defense is pretty damn effective.

I guess people don't realize the Eagles ran 2 RB in 2021 fairly successfully:

• Troy White: 267 Att for 1308 yards (4.9 ypc) and 14 TD (All Pro Selection - 1st)
    • Marshawn Miller: 133 Att for 719 yards (5.41 ypc) and 7 TDs
    • 5th in the NFLHC in scoring with 29.8 ppg
    • 3rd in the NFLHC rushing yards with 132.9 ypg
    • 2nd in NFLHC in team rushing yards per carry with 5.11

1 hour ago, DStack11 said:

I guess people don't realize the Eagles ran 2 RB in 2021 fairly successfully:

• Troy White: 267 Att for 1308 yards (4.9 ypc) and 14 TD (All Pro Selection - 1st)
    • Marshawn Miller: 133 Att for 719 yards (5.41 ypc) and 7 TDs
    • 5th in the NFL in scoring with 29.8 ppg
    • 3rd in the NFL rushing yards with 132.9 ypg
    • 2nd in NFL in team rushing yards per carry with 5.11

Oh, we realize, we just also know that's a system tailored to your personnel. For the want of Troy White/Allan Taylor/Marshawn Miller...

Broncos used 2RBs for most of the year, to varying degrees of success. But I think we'll focus much more on JBB this season and watch him eat LBs for Sunday brunch.