Thursday Night Kickoff

Christian Skaggs and the Panthers travel to the desert to take on Nick Hall and the Raiders in the Season Opener.

Take A Bow

#1 Auburn cruises to a comfortable victory on the back of a powerhouse offense and a defense that left no room for TCU QB Felix Luck to breathe.
    Chatbox -
    neovenator250 (2027) . Rome (1951) . Darman (1277) . acewulf (1108) . npklemm (1062) .

You don't have permission to chat.
      Load More
    Soluna

Who had a good first week of preseason? Who is in trouble? Snap Judgements!

Fan Optimism: Neutral (Expecting 8-10 Wins)

• The team made major strides last year and appears to have a competent offense for the first time in 5+ years. The Texans fans want to see a competition made for the wild card and will be unhappy with anything less than seven wins. They aren't expecting much but think the foundation should be built for establishing a consistent playoff base in the next few years.

RUSHING ATT YDS TD LNG F/L
    Brendan Milton 11 22 0 6 0/0
    Arturo Pacheco 3 4 0 3 0/0

giphy.gif

I’m really excited about my rookies in Washington. Kyle Davidson looked great going 22-28 for 308 and 3TDs. Ty Royal caught 2 TDs and was our highest graded player. And Dikes had a pick and a pass defensed. 

Elsewhere Jeremy Green got off to a fast start in Miami. 

Eric Jennings had a good start in Denver. I was a big fan of his the year he came out. 

My observations on someone that I thought was interesting:

Mohamed Mustafa (MIA): 15 for 50 yards with a long of 7 (but with 1 fumble lost)

Mustafa obviously isn't going to start anytime soon but I think that line shows some promise considering his skill level and who he was playing against. His opposition, Ricky Vega, ran 18 times for 40 yards for comparison.

5 minutes ago, Soluna said:

My observations on someone that I thought was interesting:

Mohamed Mustafa (MIA): 15 for 50 yards with a long of 7 (but with 1 fumble lost)

Mustafa obviously isn't going to start anytime soon but I think that line shows some promise considering his skill level and who he was playing against. His opposition, Ricky Vega, ran 18 times for 40 yards for comparison.

To be fair to Vega, and I have no idea if the Dolphins did this or not, but if Adrian Rupp is your starting opponent in his current state, I'd sell out to shut down the run, where having Gore put there for Mustafa certainly opens up the offense a bit. 

I do generally agree though, Mustafa looks like a good potential role player, he wasnt out there against roster fodder scrubs, we had some decent depth LBs out there in Eaton and Charley Rivers, and while a 3.33 average isnt "amazing", give him a #1 OL unit out there and things might open up even more. 

For the Ravens:

-Gabriel Shields has pretty much solidified a role for himself in our running game. 

-Nick Jones looked awesome with 3 sacks and 2 TFL. He'll definitely keep his job as backup OLB and may get further opportunities in the future.

-Mikeal Black looked good, admittedly in a low stress game for him.

-Benton did not look good, and will likely not win the starting job at DE for the start of the year.

Vikings and Skins had some really nice rookie performances, Steven Gore look nice as we (the Giants FO) expected. Lots of small rookie contributions that I skimmed over, but the Texans don't look great, and Mo Foster could be Randal Cunningham/ Michael Vick if he keeps being a dangerous runner. I wouldn't put much weight into this, but the weeks coming could be revealing as coaches figure out the best gameplan options for these rookies.

Marcus Williams looked really good

Gabriel Shields looked good

William Anderson on the Steelers looked good after the Giants trade

Tampa's running game in general with Street, Newton and Allen-Hollis

I think a lot of running games looked good in general.

A lot of QB's didn't look so hot, Lawyer, Culver, Swift, it'll be interesting to see what happens going forward

Also, while it is not rookie specific, I am incredibly intrigued to see the Bears running game and how MoFo changes a lot of the expectations for running games in NFLHC.  The idea of having a team truly embrace the Option 2RB and seeing where it can go, especially with Abraham, is exciting to me.  

For context:  The Bears rushed for 139 yards and 3 TDs on 27 carries between 3 different guys with each guy getting a TD.  Only the Bucs, the Ravens and Daveed Knox by himself were in the same league on the ground as the Bears were.  The Bears were the most balanced of the bunch which can bode well for the likelihood of it succeeding past the preseason.  

And for comparison:
    Bears

Vaughan Abraham 13 50 1 22T 0/0
    Mohammed Foster 5 47 1 29 0/0
    Quincy Honeycutt 9 42 1 16 0/0

Ravens

Gabriel Shields 16 106 1 16 0/0
    Mikeal Black 7 43 1 21 0/0
    Davey Jones 5 7 0 3 0/0

Bucs

Aaron Street 16 74 1 16 0/0
    Jeremiah Newton 6 56 1 19 0/0
    Elias Allen-Hollis 3 29 1 25T 0/0

Daveed Knox

Daveed Knox 20 122 2 38T 0/0

Marcus Williams

Marcus Williams 20 185 2 68T 0/0

I was impressed that Aaron street ran as well as he did all things considered. But more importantly, Crawford jr has been lights out for a fourth round pick. The CB has been lights out in rookie camp, camp, and first game came out with a few tackles and an interception. Our secondary continues to improve and given who we have to play twice a year to have a young guy play as well as he has been can not be underestimated 

• Washington's rookies (Davidson, Taylor, Dikes) looked good. Good start for their draft class.
    • Of course the Lions offense looked great with Chacko and Randall combining for over 500 yards.
    • Overall, the CBs from this class seem to be performing well (Dikes, Cunningham, Crawford, L. White all getting picks). 
    • I'm interested to see how guys like Kenyon Justice and Khairi Bryant perform the rest of the preseason.
    • Shaq Turner made a stat sheet and seemed to be around the ball. The concern is obviously how often he'll show up based on his year in San Marcos last season.
    • Lattimore vs Ward, big upper hand for Lattimore right now. 
    • Off the radar guy: I'm excited to see how Miami's ILB Shippen does after a decent start to the preseason with 4 tackles. I think that the Dolphins may end up being really happy to grab him as an UDFA. Very productive while starting his Junior year at Bama.

To jump on the Mohammad Foster train, I'm really excited to see him play this year.  I was disappointed he didn't get action last year (although it was def the right call for him).  He is a dynamic playmaker with the ball in his hands.  I am going to be interested to see how Chicago handles him and if he is able to stretch defenses vertically with his arm and stress them with his legs as well.  He was a nightmare to defend in college.  If he can translate that to the next level he is gonna be a lot of fun to watch.

56 minutes ago, mahrowkeen said:
    • Shaq Turner made a stat sheet and seemed to be around the ball. The concern is obviously how often he'll show up based on his year in San Marcos last season.

To be fair, coverage never seemed to be his weakness.  He had quite a few PD's.  It was his tackling and general failure to make stat sheets that was of most concern, along with his height.   But DB stats are pretty random and not always reliable indicators of future performance.   

Teams that should be happy after week 1 of the preseason:

Jags, Bears, Loins, Washington, Rams Philly, Chargers, Phins

Teams that might feel a bit queasy:

Texans, Falcons, Bills, Bengals, Niners

For everyone else, I’m not sure we learned much of anything in the large picture.

2 minutes ago, rabidsnowman said:

To be fair, coverage never seemed to be his weakness.  He had quite a few PD's.  It was his tackling and general failure to make stat sheets that was of most concern, along with his height.   But DB stats are pretty random and not always reliable indicators of future performance.   

I’m pretty sure he was Top 10 in deflections even in what, 4 or 5 sheets? Wasn’t a slight at all. “Show up”, meaning making stat sheets. Not necessarily performance. 

4 minutes ago, bingo415 said:

Teams that should be happy after week 1 of the preseason:

Jags, Bears, Loins, Washington, Rams Philly, Chargers, Phins

Teams that might feel a bit queasy:

Texans, Falcons, Bills, Bengals, Niners

For everyone else, I’m not sure we learned much of anything in the large picture.

Can confirm.  Have been anxious and paranoid all week.