Thursday Night Kickoff

Christian Skaggs and the Panthers travel to the desert to take on Nick Hall and the Raiders in the Season Opener.

Take A Bow

#1 Auburn cruises to a comfortable victory on the back of a powerhouse offense and a defense that left no room for TCU QB Felix Luck to breathe.
    Chatbox -
    neovenator250 (2030) . Rome (1962) . Darman (1295) . acewulf (1147) . npklemm (1084) .

You don't have permission to chat.
      Load More
    stormstopper

[2022] The Biggest Upsets* in CFBHC History

That 2019 MAC Championship game led to the best piece I've ever written here, I think.  I always wondered what the spread was on that game!

LOVE this article, and I did indeed wonder about the liking on old posts.  Out of curiosity, where does the 2018 WMU-TCU game (aka Brayden Gruber's one competent game) rank on the near-misses?  http://cfbhc.com/index.php?/topic/11582-2018-week-3-saturday-afternoon/

5 minutes ago, Jieret said:

That 2019 MAC Championship game led to the best piece I've ever written here, I think.  I always wondered what the spread was on that game!

LOVE this article, and I did indeed wonder about the liking on old posts.  Out of curiosity, where does the 2018 WMU-TCU game (aka Brayden Gruber's one competent game) rank on the near-misses?  http://cfbhc.com/index.php?/topic/11582-2018-week-3-saturday-afternoon/

I have TCU as a 22-point favorite retroactively (they ended up being borderline top-25 in the ratings even while going 11-3 in large part because they had a lot of games like this). There are a decent number of near-misses where an underdog covers by 19 points or more each year like WMU did--but not so many that it's not notable when it happens.

44 minutes ago, stormstopper said:

1. 2018 Week 4: Kansas State defeats #23 Houston, 38-35 (retroactive spread: Houston -28)

I was about to unsubscribe, but then I realized this was not the game I coached against Kansas State the season prior. I also do not wish to talk about that game...

Sweet article!

Glad we got a game on that list, sad that it was one I didn't coach ^^ At least I think I re-entered later in the season...

What I wonder about is my first ever game with on here, 2018 W1 against #1 Bama who went on to become National Champs but had to score a FG with 2 seconds on the clock to take us to overtime and won via TD after we managed to score again, but only a field goal. We weren't bad that season (praise Moffett the Prophet) but the spread can't have been good.

5 hours ago, stormstopper said:

1. 2018 Week 4: Kansas State defeats #23 Houston, 38-35 (retroactive spread: Houston -28)

Houston lost one game in the 2018 regular season. Kansas State won one game in the 2018 regular season, and nearly 1/4. That game was to each other, and it wasn't even as close as the scoreboard made it seem. The Wildcats never trailed. They went up 14-7 late in the first half and Houston never caught up. It was 21-7 shortly after halftime, and the Wildcats led by 7 to 14 points most of the rest of the way until a too-little-too-late Houston touchdown closed the gap to 38-35. They ran the ball 42 times, and it's as if Houston never once considered they might do that. Dylan Stewart ran for 205 yards and 3 touchdowns, one of just six such efforts since 2016 by a Big XII player. Quarterback Aiden Higgins added 62 yards and two scores on the ground while throwing for just 28 yards on 9 attempts. Making this an even more unlikely effort was Kansas State's struggles against the pass. Joel King almost singlehandedly kept the Cougars in this ballgame by throwing for 460 yards and 4 touchdowns on 22-26 passing without a turnover, but he was playing from behind the whole way. This was a jaw-dropping upset at the time, but the remainder of the season made it clear how huge it was. Houston won their next 10 games, all but one by 10 points or more. They were a playoff team, falling in the quarterfinal to Ohio State. In the meantime, Kansas State's next game was against a Louisiana Tech team that would finish 2-10 as a C-USA team. Kansas State could only muster up 7 points and lost. That was one of three one-possession games they would play for the rest of the year. They ultimately finished 112th in the country in point differential at -17.8/game; Houston was 11th at +12.4/game. It will be hard to match this level of upset--and that's why the legend of Dylan Stewart lives on in Little Manhattan.

That was my 1st ever game coaching on the site.  After that I thought I was playing chess while everyone else was playing checkers.  Then we lost our next 9 games.  Turns out the pinnacle of my coaching career was my first game.