Thursday Night Kickoff

Christian Skaggs and the Panthers travel to the desert to take on Nick Hall and the Raiders in the Season Opener.

Take A Bow

#1 Auburn cruises to a comfortable victory on the back of a powerhouse offense and a defense that left no room for TCU QB Felix Luck to breathe.
    Chatbox -
    neovenator250 (2031) . Rome (2018) . Darman (1388) . acewulf (1178) . npklemm (1118) .

You don't have permission to chat.
      Load More
    Swipet

[2022] BigXII Off-Season Interviews: Kansas

2022 OFF-SEASON INTERVIEW SERIES: KANSAS

Image result for kansas football

@stormstopper tries to build on last years 9 win season and challenge for the BigXII Title

What is your teams biggest gain and loss going into the 2022 season?

Losing Bradley Spurlock is gonna hurt. I still think we've got a very fine secondary coming back, I wouldn't trade it for anyone else's, but Bradley was a playmaker starting his true freshman season. I've coached a lot of really good cornerbacks, guys who starred on Saturday and played on Sunday--he's the best one I've ever had the pleasure of coaching.

But we have to look forward. I'm gonna cheat a little bit and say there are two things we gain. The first is Walter Munoz, who's earned a starting spot at left tackle as a true freshman. Only other player who's done that while I've been here is Ben Goode. But I think the bigger gain is the year of experience and preparation that most of these guys gained, and that's particularly true for Christian Graham. We're fortunate enough to return a lot of people who've played a lot of snaps. We don't have to make a ton of systemic changes. With any luck we'll be able to hit the ground running and just play the way we know how to play. It took me six years to learn the value of continuity, and this is the most we've had in a little while.

Looking at the schedule, what other team scares you the most?

Who scares us? We're the Kansas frickin' Jayhawks. We made our mark on the college football world by showing no fear, giving no quarter, hunting in broad daylight, and beating teams we were never supposed to beat. So there's nobody on our schedule who could possibly scare us. In fact, I think all 12 teams we play should be scared of us.

A few local scouts described your recruiting tendencies last season as "All in with no backup plan". What do you have to say about that? 

We landed a pair of game-changers in Walter Munoz and Shaq Stewart, as well as plenty of contributors all over the field. I don't believe in back-up plans, just differing opportunities depending on the situation. Sure, that's coachspeak or whatever--but what I mean is that everyone is here because their presence makes this team better, and everyone on this roster is going to have a fighting shot to do exactly that. And we're always going to pursue any playmaker we can when the opportunity is right, which is something I think we did a good job of last year even beyond our top two guys.

A rumor around the site is that you hold 3 newspaper reporters hostage, forcing them to write material for the site. Are these allegations true or do you actually write them yourself? 

I deny holding exactly 3 newspaper reporters hostage.

Editors Note: The FBI has been alerted of Storms vague comments and is investigating into the matter.

Finally, give us your teams record prediction and who is in the BigXII Title game.

I can tell you I've been dead wrong on what record I've predicted for us more often than not. Last year I wasn't sure we were even a bowl team, and we pulled through and won 9 games. This year I think we've got some major concerns to address that we didn't have last year, but the major concerns of last year have been assuaged somewhat. Depending on how this team approaches things on a week-by-week basis, we could win as few as 4 or as many as 10 games. As far as the Big XII Championship Game, I think the non-homer answer would be TCU and one of the two schools from South Kansas. But I--oh, wait, sorry, I should explain: South Kansas is an inside joke we have among the coaching staff given our success against all three schools from the very fine state directly to our south. Anyway, I was going to say that this team's hungry for another conference championship, and most of these guys weren't here for the 2018 title. So look past us at your own peril.

So after reading your gusto about how everyone should fear the Jayhawks, I went and looked up the Jayhawks record because I couldn't remember how Kansas did last year. But noticed the only bowls they've ever won were against Oregon in the Alamo Bowl, twice. I miagine that's one of those trivia questions the commentators ask during games.

EDIT: And they've been to the Alamo Bowl 4 times. Has any team been to the same bowl more times?

5 hours ago, inspiral said:

So after reading your gusto about how everyone should fear the Jayhawks, I went and looked up the Jayhawks record because I couldn't remember how Kansas did last year. But noticed the only bowls they've ever won were against Oregon in the Alamo Bowl, twice. I miagine that's one of those trivia questions the commentators ask during games.

EDIT: And they've been to the Alamo Bowl 4 times. Has any team been to the same bowl more times?

Houston to the, uhh... Russell Athletic? I think they lost 4 or something like that.