Spooky Scary Scramblers

The Ravens jump to 2-0 as the 0-2 Jets are still unable to overcome their fear of scrambling QBs.

No Luck Needed

Felix Luck leads TCU to 4th quarter victory over in-state foe Rice.

Y'all Got Any More of Them OLBs?

With W.M. Mitchell tearing his ACL, the Packers have 3 OLBs on IR just two weeks into the season.

Missouri Builds the Wall

And makes Kansas pay for it as they take home the victory in the Border War 28-14.

Battle for AW3 2... Me

After AW3's scorching debut, Clemson fans will be cheering him on while SMU hopes to show him he made the wrong decision.
    Chatbox -
    Rome (2745) . Darman (2575) . acewulf (2345) . neovenator250 (2269) . npklemm (1963) .

You don't have permission to chat.
      Load More
    Sign in to follow this  
    NFL

[2022] NFL Kickoff Game Discussion

Matchup Preview | October 18, 2018
    CAR.png @ OAK.png
    Carolina Panthers
    Last Season: 10-6 (Lost Divisional)
      Las Vegas Raiders
    Last Season: 11-5 (Won Superbowl)
    Offensive Stats Comparison (2021)
    5,952 Total Offensive Yards 6,062
    4,881 Passing Yards 4,570
    1,071 Rushing Yards 1,492
    27.3 Points Per Game 31.6
    Defensive Stats Comparison (2021)
    5,136 Total Yards Allowed 4,674
    3,878 Passing Yards Allowed 3,452
    1,258 Rushing Yards Allowed 1,222
    24 Sacks 35
    17 Interceptions 21
    22.4 Points Per Game 19.8
    Injury Report
    Emerson Ware
    Shoulder (Questionable)
      Jahmir Rolle
    Wrist (Out)
    Carlton Sylvester
    Groin (Questionable)
      Omar Vasquez
    Back (Out)

should be a great game.  potential for an EPIC duel between two of the best 3 QBs in the league.  The Raiders defense being better than what the Panthers trot out on that side of the ball is probably the difference in the end.

Biggest questions I have for this game:

Can the Raiders O-Line keep Nick Hall from fumbling all over the place?

Is Carolina's offense diversified enough to deal with the Raiders defense?

How is Mike Latta going to be involved in this years offensive gameplan? I feel he is underutilized.

1 minute ago, Soluna said:

How is Mike Latta going to be involved in this years offensive gameplan? I feel he is underutilized.

I feel like Carolina got better about using him partway through last year and that balance will serve them well.  Not sure it'll be enough to get the win today, but it makes them a damn sight tougher to gameplan against on defense.

18 hours ago, alienufo said:

Last time I played Carolina, Nick Hall was out with an injury.  I'm not actually sure Hall vs Skaggs has happened before.  Great game to start the year.

That was in 2018?

22 minutes ago, Soluna said:

Who do you guys think are the players outside of the quarterbacks who need to step up most in this game?

Kendrick Droughns and Shah Vereen. Can't let either of these QB's sit in the pocket undisturbed. Have to get pressure and disrupt the passing game as much as possible.

13 minutes ago, npklemm said:

Kendrick Droughns and Shah Vereen. Can't let either of these QB's sit in the pocket undisturbed. Have to get pressure and disrupt the passing game as much as possible.

I agree and will add that I think that the team that can field an existing running game for their QB will have better chances. I'm sure Latta can do it, but Carolina has been pretty stalwart relying only on Skaggs to win them games; if Major Morris can keep up what he did in 2021 and gets more carries in this matchup, I see LV winning it in a close one.

24 minutes ago, Soluna said:

Who do you guys think are the players outside of the quarterbacks who need to step up most in this game?

Vegas Offense - RB Major Morris. Had a pretty solid 2021, if he only hits his last season average of 76 ypg, it may not be enough. Morris needs to do enough to keep this Panthers defense honest. Darren Manning and Nate Tensi are two of the best at their positions, and Kendrick Droughns showed last season he can bring the heat on the edge. The strength of this Panthers D is against the pass, so whatever Alien can scheme up and Morris can execute will be a deciding factor on offense.

Vegas Defense - FS Randall Jones. I think what Vegas has on the other side of the ball gets overshadowed by Nick Hall and the explosive Raider's offense. Alex Martin is stout against the run, Shah Vereen brings the heat on the outside, and the secondary group of Jones, Pennington, Gradishar, and Ellison may be the best in the league. Skaggs has been around for a long time, and as great of a quarterback as he is, I feel he can still be exposed with trying to force balls into tight windows. Lots of times, it works. Some of the time, it doesn't. Randall Jones is going to have a lot of work flying around the field to cover all of the Panther's stars, and may be the guy called on most to handle Curtis Henry in the middle of the field.

Carolina Offense - TE Curtis Henry. Henry has been incredible since entering the pro level, and looking at the match ups this may be the piece of the puzzle Cade needs to win for the Panthers to come out one to the good. Jackson & Wilson vs Gradishar & Ellison look to be a wash. Moses vs Vereen looks like a wash. Latta vs Martin, probably a wash. Whatever Henry can get done in the middle of the field against whoever covers him will make a big impact for the Panthers.

Carolina Defense - DT Mike Wohlabaugh. The Panthers cannot let these Raiders run on them, and it'll be up to their best run defender, Big Mike Whirlybird. The USC product has to stop Major Morris. He has to take on the big strong interior linemen of the Raiders like David Wilson and Brendan Doherty, and he has to win those match ups. And he has to do it early. I see the Panthers winning if they get up early, and Wohlabaugh's efforts on the defense is going to be very important for this to work.