Pope, Eric, the Second

#7 Oklahoma QB Eric Pope reclaimed his starting job, and proceeded to go 25/36 for 343 yards and 4 TD as Oklahoma routed Texas 52-13.

Devy Flexes His Guns in Miami

The Saints pull the upset over Miami. Saints QB Aaron Devereaux threw for 3 TD as the New Orleans defense held Miami to 5 rushing yards in the 31-27 victory.

Meep Meep

UTSA snaps #11 Rice's 26-game winning streak in CUSA games with a decisive 31-20 road victory. QB Justin Radford threw for 208 yards and had 3 total TDs.

Foster: Chicagoan for QB

Bears QB Mohammed Foster has come into his own as the team has jumped to a 6-3 start. Foster put up 102 on the ground, including a 45-yard TD, in a 20-10 victory over LA.
  • Shoutbox

Shoutbox

Please enter your display name

Soluna

Penn State Nittany Lions Thread

PENN STATE NITTANY LIONS

2018 Coaching Staff
Head Coach: James Franklin

Offensive Coordinator: Ricky Rahne (also Quarterbacks Coach)
Defensive Coordinator Brent Pry (also Linebackers Coach)

Special Teams Coordinator: Joe Lorig (NEW) (also Assistant Defensive Line Coach)
Running Backs Coach: Ja'Juan Seider
Wide Receivers Coach: Gerad Parker (NEW)
Tight Ends Coach: Tyler Bowen (also Offensive Recruiting Coordinator)

Offensive Line Coach: Matt Limegrover (also Run Game Coordinator)
Defensive Line Coach: Sean Spencer (also Run Game Coordinator and Associate Head Coach)
Cornerbacks Coach: Terry Smith (also Defensive Recruiting Coordinator and Assistant Head Coach)
Safeties Coach: Tim Banks (also Co-Defensive Coordinator)

2019 Schedule
08-31-19 | vs. Idaho |

09-07-19 | vs. Buffalo |

09-14-19 | vs. Pittsburgh |

09-27-19 | @ Maryland |

10-05-19 | vs. Purdue |

10-12-19 | @ Iowa |

10-19-19 | vs. Michigan |

10-26-19 | @ Michigan State |

11-09-19 | @ Minnesota |

11-16-19 | vs. Indiana |

11-23-19 | @ Ohio State |

11-30-19 | vs. Rutgers |

Alumni

Fans

Let me know if you want to be added as either an Alum or a Fan. We should get some discussion going all throughout the year about our Nittany Lions here. Any new recruits you want to discuss or any commitments you see. Game discussion, coaching discussion, etc is all welcome here. Keep it civil.

We Are!

You can add me in as a fellow 2011 alum. Franklin needs to relinquish play calling influence in any capacity and focus on recruiting.

13 minutes ago, DStack11 said:

You can add me in as a fellow 2011 alum. Franklin needs to relinquish play calling influence in any capacity and focus on recruiting.

Franklin doesn't call plays. He does decide the aggressiveness of the playcall though AFAIK.

Thoughts on the Iowa game? Hopefully McSorley's injury isn't too bad - it looked like some sort of MCL Sprain?

Our mid-level pass defense looks horrendous. I don't even know what they can do to fix that.

4 hours ago, Soluna said:

Thoughts on the Iowa game? Hopefully McSorley's injury isn't too bad - it looked like some sort of MCL Sprain?

Our mid-level pass defense looks horrendous. I don't even know what they can do to fix that.

Our offense has been disappointing in Big Ten play and that continued today. We can't run it consistently vs good teams and our WRs have been lousy. Defense looked solid today, All of TDs came in short field scenarios IIRC. Iowa's TE killed us in the pass game. Special Teams was a disaster out of the gate but Pinegar got some confidence back and Blake hit some nice punts later in the game.

We need our offense to show up next week or we could be in for a long one. As long as we have #9 under center we will always have a chance. And yep I think it was just a sprain, should be good to go vs Michigan.

We're up three spots in the new poll to 14.

Pretty sure Franklin just had a stroke on twitter

hf1q4l00f0v11.jpg

@ajyoungmark Fire Franklin?

On 11/5/2018 at 2:16 PM, Soluna said:

@ajyoungmark Fire Franklin?

Eh not yet. We did not look prepared at all though. The offense needs some serious work.

Okay if we can't agree that Franklin needs to go can we at least agree that Rahne sucks balls.

Updated our schedule for next year and replaced our two coaching changes. Corley -> Parker at WR Coach and Galiano -> Lorig at ST Coordinator and Defensive Assistant.

We added George Campbell and Weston Carr at WR and lost a ton of redshirt Seniors to other programs. Also RIP Tommy Stevens.

We're returning 9 offensive starters, all defensive starters, and both special teamers.

Opinion on next year folks? @grv413@DStack11@ajyoungmark

9 hours ago, Soluna said:

Updated our schedule for next year and replaced our two coaching changes. Corley -> Parker at WR Coach and Galiano -> Lorig at ST Coordinator and Defensive Assistant.

We added George Campbell and Weston Carr at WR and lost a ton of redshirt Seniors to other programs. Also RIP Tommy Stevens.

We're returning 9 offensive starters, all defensive starters, and both special teamers.

The defense should be one of the best in the country and I'm expecting Micah Parsons and Gross-Matos to take a big step forward in leading the defensive front 7.

The obvious question marks are QB, WR, RB and O-Line. I think we'll be good at O-Line and I do believe Slade is the next guy in a line of really good running backs; which only leaves the question of replacing Trace's production and leadership - and who the hell can actually catch the ball (looking at you JJ and Thompkins).

I know Trace wasn't the most naturally talented passer, but the guy was a flat out winner - and that's not something that's teachable. That said, I'm taking it as a good sign that there wasn't much of an apparent QB controversy with the younger Clifford having the backing of the coaching staff over the more senior Tommy Stevens.

For pass catchers, I love a big year for Freiermuth at TE; and for good lord, get KJ Hamler the ball however you can. Hopefully, Johnson will be a pleasant surprise and figure out how to use his massive frame to make contested catches a la Allen Robinson (because we know he can't create his own separation), which would be a good complement to Polk and Hamler as small-framed burners. With a new WR coaching staff and a deep bench of uber-talented young receivers, my money is on (see: hoping) that we see another receiving threat emerge from this group this year.

On 5/7/2019 at 6:19 AM, D Stack said:

The defense should be one of the best in the country and I'm expecting Micah Parsons and Gross-Matos to take a big step forward in leading the defensive front 7.

The obvious question marks are QB, WR, RB and O-Line. I think we'll be good at O-Line and I do believe Slade is the next guy in a line of really good running backs; which only leaves the question of replacing Trace's production and leadership - and who the hell can actually catch the ball (looking at you JJ and Thompkins).

I know Trace wasn't the most naturally talented passer, but the guy was a flat out winner - and that's not something that's teachable. That said, I'm taking it as a good sign that there wasn't much of an apparent QB controversy with the younger Clifford having the backing of the coaching staff over the more senior Tommy Stevens.

For pass catchers, I love a big year for Freiermuth at TE; and for good lord, get KJ Hamler the ball however you can. Hopefully, Johnson will be a pleasant surprise and figure out how to use his massive frame to make contested catches a la Allen Robinson (because we know he can't create his own separation), which would be a good complement to Polk and Hamler as small-framed burners. With a new WR coaching staff and a deep bench of uber-talented young receivers, my money is on (see: hoping) that we see another receiving threat emerge from this group this year.

Curious what @grv413 thinks now that the fucking notifications work again.

On 5/6/2019 at 8:30 PM, Soluna said:

Just a note, Campbell isn't coming here next year anymore, couldn't get into the grad school, so I believe he's going to West Virginia.

I'm not sure what next year is going to look like if I'm being honest. I believe this is the most talented team Franklin has had in his time here, but it is very young. I'll try to outline everything I think grouping by position.

Coaching

The coaching moves last year of Galiano and Corley we're clearly huge mistakes. I can't fault him too much for Corley since Corley was supposed to be the RB coach, not WR coach. But Seider coming available was an opportunity we absolutely could not turn down. He's paid huge dividends for us recruiting Florida. He got Noah Cain and John Dunmore to commit single-handedly and both could make impacts next season. Cain seems more likely, but Dunmore is really talented. I like Parker, but the jury is out on him. But as long as the wide receivers can catch, I'll be pretty happy. Galiano was a horrible hire from the start and was pretty much made entirely because of nepotism. Lorig is going to be so much better and it's not even funny. We should see an immediate improvement to our special teams. Ricky Rahne is going to have to take a step forward next season. I don't think he was nearly as bad as people have made him out to be last year, but he still needs to be better. I want to see more variation on offense and I want them to get our playmakers in space. Let's try some screens and get the ball out of Clifford's hands quick. We have the best athletes we've ever had under Franklin at WR and we have to use them. Elsewhere coaching wise I'm pretty content. I trust Rahne as a QB coach personally. Already highlighted how much I like Seider. Bowen is going places and will more than likely be our next OLine coach. He is really good and has done well with the TEs. Limegrover, I need to see some improvement. Our line last year was pretty talented, but it didn't play like it. It wasn't nasty and didn't control games like it should have. Defensively, I'm very happy with Spencer, Pry, Banks, and Smith.

Offense

QB: I'm not worried here. Clifford is going to have to grow into himself and there are going to be growing pains, but he's a baller just like Trace was. It's a shame Tommy left, but that's CFB these days. I think Levis will be a capable backup if Clifford goes down, but if we have to rely on Levis, the season will probably be a lost cause. Taquon Robinson is a good 3rd option, but I don't expect him to see the field barring some catastrophic injuries.  Michael Johnson Jr needs a redshirt and I'm not even sure he's a long term QB (think he may transition to WR sooner or later) but he's there too. Clifford isn't the runner that Tommy or Trace was, which means we're gonna have to modify the offense a bit. He's a better passer though, so I think we'll see us go back to airing it out a bit. We need him to be more accurate than Trace was last season though. Trace's injuries really hurt his play last year and as a result our season.

RB: I'm not sure how the depth chart is going to sort itself out here. Slade should be the number one guy, but I think Journey Brown could compete for carries. I think Noah Cain will get his share too. Think all three will be good and we have Devyn Ford who's enrolling this summer. I would like to see us use 2 RB sets sometimes, but I'm not sure that's going to be in our playbook much. I think this will be the first year we see more of a RBBC though. We don't have a Saquon or Miles to be the bellcow, which is actually fine.

WR: Easily the biggest question mark on the offensive side of the ball imo. Hamler is about the only guarantee we have. He's going to be an animal if we actually utilize him and get the ball to him in space. Past there, I'm not sure. I don't even know how the depth chart is going to fall. Dotson is really close to a second guarantee, he was the only player catching the ball at the end of last season. He's really good in the slot too. Mac Hippenhammer and Cam Sullivan-Brown need to make the jump this year or they're going to be passed over and might lose their chance to do much of anything here. Then you have Daniel George and Justin Shorter. Shorter is finally healthy and I think he can absolutely make an impact, he was the #1 ranked receiver last year. If he stays healthy, he could be a game changer. George is still a little raw, not sure the impact he'll have. We also have Dan Chisena who's a walk on, but he can fly and I think we'll use him to take the top off the defense a couple times this season. John Dunmore is coming in and could see the field, but I'm not sure what happens there. TJ Jones was a late get for us last year and I'd be shocked if he doesn't redshirt. The success of our offense comes down to whether or not these guys can catch the ball this year. Drops killed us last season and cost us games. I'm hoping Parker can correct that and get their confidence up a bit.

Tightend: If Bowers can stay healthy, we might have the best 1-2 punch in the country at tight end. Friermuth is an animal and will only get better. Bowers has always had really good pro potential, but he's been unable to stay healthy. If he can stay healthy this year, I think we'll actually see them use 2 TE sets this year. Kuntz will get used a bit, but he's still raw. Strange will more than likely redshirt.

Offensive Line: Replacing three starters here which is never ideal, but we have some talented young guys who have been in the program for a little bit and aren't being relied on as early as the ones we lost. Thorpe, Menet, and Gonzo will be our interior, all three are solid players. Menet is a good athlete and was highly ranked out of high school. Thorpe is nasty, which is something we've been missing on the line, and Gonzo has a ton of experience and should be better next year. Losing Scruggs to the freak back injury (was in a car accident) hurts our depth here a bit, but Miranda is a good backup and I think Bryce Effner is a bit of a swing guy they could use inside or outside. Our tackles will probably be Rasheed Wallace and Anthony Whigan at seasons end, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see Fries in there to start. Whigan was a little small coming from Lackawanna. But we have a strong group of players here and I think they can outplay what we put on the field last year.

Overall, an improvement on offense is going to be what makes or breaks our season. Our defense has some question marks in the middle, but it should be a really talented group. That means nothing without an improved offense though.

Defense:

Defensive Line: Not at all worried about DE. Yetur Gross-Matos is a day 1 NFL Draft pick. Shane Simmons is a solid player and is finally healthy. If Shaka Toney can make the next step (past just being a pass rusher) and Oweh is as good as advertised the DEnds are going to eat. DTackle is a question mark though. Losing Givens hurt a lot, but I think Windsor is embracing stepping up and being a leader. He's really confident. Past him though, things start to get a little shaky. PJ Mustipher is a really good player and should get a lot of time. Antonio Shelton will get rotated a lot. Past there it gets a little cloudy. Fred Hansard had a rough last year. Damion Barber is still growing into himself. Ellison Jordan and Aeneas Hawkins have been hurt. Need one of those guys to show up and be a solid second teamer. The quality of our DEs should hopefully help the DTs generate a little pressure.

Linebacker: Our best linebacker group under Franklin and frankly it's not even close. Jan Johnson will probably start the year at Mike, but Ellis Brooks or Brandon Smith could have something to say about that. Sam is going to be Cam Brown all the way, with Lance Dixon taking his spot in 2020. Will will be solid with Parsons and Luketa. And I think they can use Parsons in different ways on defense to have him make plays. He was learning the position last year and there's no Koa in front of him this year. They need to let him loose.

Secondary: Cornerback we are golden. TCF is a day 1-2 NFL draft pick and John Reid is back and fully healthy. Donovan Johnson is great in the slot, and we have a bunch of good young guys ready to compete. Trent Gordon and DJ Brown will battle for the 4th spot. Safety is a little scarier. Garrett Taylor is entrenched into the one starting spot, but there's a question mark on who starts next to him. I love Jaquon Brisker (juco recruit from Lackawanna) but he's not joining the team until fall camp, which is a negative. Not sure when he'll be ready. Wade flirted with the portal, but it seems like someone lit a fire under him and he wants to compete this year, but I'll believe it when I see it. Sutherland is a good young player as well and will see the field a lot. Tyler Rudolph is a freshman who could see time in a pinch, but I think they'll try to preserve his redshirt.

Continuing from before:

Special Teams:

Kicker: We got a transfer from VT who I believe is going to be competing for kickoffs, but I'm not entirely certain on that. I think Pinegar will be fine. Mainly because Lorig is just so much better than Galiano.

Punter: Gilliken is that dude. He's one of the better punters in the NCAA and I'm not worried at all.

Outlook:

We absolutely need double digit wins this year and two wins against OSU/MSU/UM to continue our growth as a program. We've stagnated a bit with our results last season and it's showing with the turmoil in recruiting right now. We need the offense to show up and in a big way. We need that exciting brand of football we started in 2016, or we're going to look like a flash in the pan. Our schedule is pretty tough and our team is young, so I'm a little worried about what we're actually going to do on the field. That being said, I think we absolutely can get back on track this year, but it requires a lot of ifs. Clifford needs to come out and be pretty good. Not perfect, but he needs to limit his mistakes and let his skill players do the work. Rahne needs to improve his in-game adjustments and use our playmakers better. And our OLine needs to improve. We also need to start actually making turnovers. The number of times we fell on a fumble and miraculously lost it last season was infuriating.

Notable Games:

09-27-19 | @ Maryland | - If this was a Saturday game I wouldn't care, but Friday night in College Park is a slight concern.

10-12-19 | @ Iowa | - Kinnick is a terrifying place to play. Especially at night with a young team.

10-19-19 | vs. Michigan | - Whiteout game against who I view as the best team in the East next season. We need to beat them.

10-26-19 | @ Michigan State | - The talent gap is even further apart now, we can't lay an egg against them like we have the last 2 seasons.

11-09-19 | @ Minnesota | - Minnesota is going to take a step forward next year. This could be a scary game for us.

11-23-19 | @ Ohio State | - I think OSU takes a step back next year, I don't like Day that much as a coach (granted I haven't seen a huge sample size) which makes this a game we absolutely can win.

Prediction: I personally think we could land anywhere from 8 to 11 wins. 8 would be a disaster though. 9 seems most likely, but 10 and 11 are on the table. No chance we go undefeated. It's just too difficult and our team is too young. 2020 is the year we will really challenge for the B1G again and the playoffs, but we need to keep it together following this season. My best guess is we finish 9-3 with losses to UM, OSU, and Iowa and then beat someone in a bowl game for 10-3. 10-2 in the regular season is obviously the goal, would put us in a NY6 bowl and if we win that I could see us being the favorites to win the B1G in 2020.

Update: Ellison Jordan is leaving PSU. Tweeted about it this afternoon. With his injury history, I'm not terribly surprised. Hurts our depth on paper, but I'm not sure he was going to see the field anyway after reading his tweets. 

On 6/18/2019 at 2:39 PM, grv413 said:

Update: Ellison Jordan is leaving PSU. Tweeted about it this afternoon. With his injury history, I'm not terribly surprised. Hurts our depth on paper, but I'm not sure he was going to see the field anyway after reading his tweets. 

Why is he leaving?

7 hours ago, Soluna said:

Why is he leaving?

Some combination of where he is on the depth chart and how his injury was handled. He's basically been injured since he's gotten to campus and he had a particularly nasty injury that has not healed well, which has kinda led to where he is now. We'll be fine at DT, just need some young guys to step up.

On 6/21/2019 at 10:58 PM, grv413 said:

Some combination of where he is on the depth chart and how his injury was handled. He's basically been injured since he's gotten to campus and he had a particularly nasty injury that has not healed well, which has kinda led to where he is now. We'll be fine at DT, just need some young guys to step up.

What is going on with all these recruits opening up their commitments in the last week or two? Is that because of the no visitation policy after they've committed that we have? I don't follow recruiting very much but I saw all the decommits.

On 6/27/2019 at 12:07 AM, Soluna said:

What is going on with all these recruits opening up their commitments in the last week or two? Is that because of the no visitation policy after they've committed that we have? I don't follow recruiting very much but I saw all the decommits.

Toutant got an OSU offer and Wingo committed too early. Parks and Moten were weird, they felt lied to and treated differently because of the no visit policy, but Moten is turning around and committing next week (most likely to Nebraska). It has to do with their high school coach I believe.

There's a lot of negativity out there on the trail about us. We went 9-4 and looked really bad doing it, we lost like a dozen kids to the portal (keep in mind, only one or two of them would have been contributors this year), and we have some coaching stability concerns. So add all that together and you get the situation we have. We really need the season to come to start showing out on the field.

On 6/28/2019 at 9:35 AM, grv413 said:

Toutant got an OSU offer and Wingo committed too early. Parks and Moten were weird, they felt lied to and treated differently because of the no visit policy, but Moten is turning around and committing next week (most likely to Nebraska). It has to do with their high school coach I believe.

There's a lot of negativity out there on the trail about us. We went 9-4 and looked really bad doing it, we lost like a dozen kids to the portal (keep in mind, only one or two of them would have been contributors this year), and we have some coaching stability concerns. So add all that together and you get the situation we have. We really need the season to come to start showing out on the field.

Are there any prospects that might be flipping our way?

20 hours ago, Soluna said:

Are there any prospects that might be flipping our way?

Flipping wise? Other than this guy, Josh Downs, I'm not sure. Some names that are possible, albeit long shots are Fadil Diggs, Julian Fleming (he's a super extra long shot and very unlikely, but I think possible if this season transpires how I think it might), and Marshawn Lloyd. If we have a good enough season on the field, it might turn their heads, but the impact of a good season will be felt in recruiting year 2021, not in 2020.

Prospect wise in general we could see some come on board soon. Parker Washington is deciding this week I believe, we lead there. Joseph Johnson is also deciding this week and we led for a minute, but his Dad went full Lavar Ball after we accepted a commitment from a juco corner, so I'm not sure he's coming here anymore (and frankly, that's fine, the Dad is kinda nuts if you look at his Twitter). Bryce Mostella is committing next week, I believe we lead there as well. Florida runningback Caziah Holmes announced his commitment date for next month off an OV here (he's from your neck of the woods).

I'm sure I'm missing some players, but those are the major ones right now that are in decision mode. Not sure any 2021 guys are even close to making a decision, but the QB position is one to keep an eye on. They like to come on board early. We really really like this kid, Caleb Williams, but he really likes UGA. But some people think he's going to be the best dual threat QB in this next class.

3 hours ago, grv413 said:

Flipping wise? Other than this guy, Josh Downs, I'm not sure. Some names that are possible, albeit long shots are Fadil Diggs, Julian Fleming (he's a super extra long shot and very unlikely, but I think possible if this season transpires how I think it might), and Marshawn Lloyd. If we have a good enough season on the field, it might turn their heads, but the impact of a good season will be felt in recruiting year 2021, not in 2020.

Prospect wise in general we could see some come on board soon. Parker Washington is deciding this week I believe, we lead there. Joseph Johnson is also deciding this week and we led for a minute, but his Dad went full Lavar Ball after we accepted a commitment from a juco corner, so I'm not sure he's coming here anymore (and frankly, that's fine, the Dad is kinda nuts if you look at his Twitter). Bryce Mostella is committing next week, I believe we lead there as well. Florida runningback Caziah Holmes announced his commitment date for next month off an OV here (he's from your neck of the woods).

I'm sure I'm missing some players, but those are the major ones right now that are in decision mode. Not sure any 2021 guys are even close to making a decision, but the QB position is one to keep an eye on. They like to come on board early. We really really like this kid, Caleb Williams, but he really likes UGA. But some people think he's going to be the best dual threat QB in this next class.

Thanks for the succinct run down. Let's hope we get our shit together.

Here's my prediction for our year based on the reading I've been doing this week:

08-31-19 | vs. Idaho | W

09-07-19 | vs. Buffalo | W

09-14-19 | vs. Pittsburgh | W

09-27-19 | @ Maryland | W

10-05-19 | vs. Purdue | W

10-12-19 | @ Iowa | W

10-19-19 | vs. Michigan | L

10-26-19 | @ Michigan State | L

11-09-19 | @ Minnesota | W

11-16-19 | vs. Indiana | W

11-23-19 | @ Ohio State | L

11-30-19 | vs. Rutgers | W

I feel like we might win one of Michigan/Michigan State but lose to someone random (cough Iowa cough).