Spooky Scary Scramblers

The Ravens jump to 2-0 as the 0-2 Jets are still unable to overcome their fear of scrambling QBs.

No Luck Needed

Felix Luck leads TCU to 4th quarter victory over in-state foe Rice.

Y'all Got Any More of Them OLBs?

With W.M. Mitchell tearing his ACL, the Packers have 3 OLBs on IR just two weeks into the season.

Missouri Builds the Wall

And makes Kansas pay for it as they take home the victory in the Border War 28-14.

Battle for AW3 2... Me

After AW3's scorching debut, Clemson fans will be cheering him on while SMU hopes to show him he made the wrong decision.
    Chatbox -
    Rome (2689) . Darman (2383) . neovenator250 (2269) . acewulf (2060) . npklemm (1863) .

You don't have permission to chat.
      Load More
    bingo415

[2022] Week 2 Power Rankings, Part Two, #14-32

455451470.jpg.0.jpg

A Giants CB locks up Marcus Banks and the Cardinals offense

Adjacent to Part One, here's the bottom of the list. There was considerable movement in this portion of the rankings, and with good reason. We have a combination of 1-1 teams, all the 0-2 teams (clearly), and even one undefeated. The fun questions here: who will remain in this part of the rankings for the duration and who will claw their way out. That's anyone's guess. 

Remember, if you don't like where you are in these rankings...play better!

14. Dallas Cowboys (-1) :cowboys:

The ‘Boys hopped on a bus to San Fran and promptly laid a whuppin’ on the 49ers. Dallas barely needed to trip into the end zone to get the win in this one, 28-0. Graham Burnett is turning into a pretty decent quarterback, and while it was all going to go Dallas’ way on Sunday, I’m still impressed with his 21 for 31 for 280 and 2 TDs. Especially considering his receiving corps is average-at-best (take it from a guy with an average-at-best receiving corps), the transition Dallas has made from run-first to pass-first is impressive. I wish I could have them higher than this, given they are 2-0. I just don’t think they’re competition has been terribly stiff yet.

15. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (+3) :buccaneers:

16. Atlanta Falcons (+4) :falcons:

17. Houston Texans (+5) :texans:

I think these are the best of the rest of the 1-1 teams (see Part One for Packers/Raiders/Lions). Tampa played Denver quite tough at Mile High, Atlanta is an OT FG at Tampa from a very quality 2-0 start, and the Texans opened with a smashing and are just off a close on at home against the Dolphins. Each team has issues, certainly. The Falcons are now starting a rookie, albeit a promising one, that fumbled in crunch time. The Bucs overcame hideous special teams play to not lose to Donald Culver in his debut. Houston has to figure out what the hell they’re doing on offense (50% and 2 turnovers from Leshoure ain’t gonna cut it). But each has some serious strengths—all these teams have a boss (or two) on the DLine, and all of them have solid, experienced talent in the secondary. The other tidbit these teams have in common: they are all fighting for scraps in the two toughest divisions in the League. The Bucs and Falcons are looking up to the Saints (currently, though that could change), and the Texans are the annoying kid brothers in the mighty AFC South. I’ll go out on a limb and say that ONE of these three make the Playoffs. Any more than that, and I’ll be a quite surprised.

18. New York Jets (-6) :jets:

19. Carolina Panthers (-9) :panthers:

20. Washington Football Club (-6) :redskins:

21. Cincinnati Bengals (-5) :bengals:

This seems like an odd collection to lump together. But there is a unifying theme to this quartet, despite their ugly descents from higher up the rankings this week. These are teams that, in my opinion, will Yo-Yo between contender and pretender all season (injuries and all else being equal). All have talent in spots, all have serious questions to answer on the defensive line, and all have QBs taken in the first round (three of these teams have #1 picks under center). Here’s what I like from each: the Jets have a fantastic Front Office that always gets the best out of their team; Carolina has Skaggs and have played a very tough schedule already; Washington has a fantastic OLine, very good young QB-WR battery, and some real menace in its pass rush; and the Bengals have a resurgent (at least until Week 2) Joel King throwing to Adrian Janikowski, which should scare lots of folks. What I don’t like? Jets can’t stop scramblers (meme life is real life); Carolina seems to always shoot itself in the foot and shouldn’t be 0-2, even with these first two opponents; Washington doesn’t yet know how to win consistently and Bowman is still playing like and up-and-down rookie; and the Bengals have only one thing they do really well: King-to-Jank. Shut that down, and where do they go? I believe that one of these teams will make the Playoffs, and it’s probably the Panthers, but they really have to start showing more. If they start 0-3, look out.

22. Los Angeles Rams (-3) :rams:

23. Kansas City Chiefs (+1) :chiefs: 

24. Chicago Bears (+1) :bears:

25. Minnesota Vikings (+1) :vikings:

I’m really surprised to be writing this, but my week 2 overreaction is: all of these teams are already done. Stick a fork in ‘em, they’re not gonna make the playoffs. Of course, that is a prediction sure to be wrong, but let me explain. Two of these teams (Rams, Vikings) are starting quarterbacks that have been really good for a real long time. While they aren’t OLD, they do seem outdated in today’s NFLHC. Vardell just had a solid game against the Patriots, but quite certainly the stat sheet looked like Mo Charles bailed Mr. Vardell out a couple times. Murphy, on the other hand, all of a sudden looks pedestrian. Two weeks of minimal scoring equal two losses equal cause for the Rams FO to consider blowing the whole thing up…yes, in Week 2! The Bears and Chiefs are in completely different circumstances. Both feature young, exciting QBs that have yet to really breakout with stellar performance in leading their squads to a win. It will come, but my point is: it may not come soon enough, nor frequent enough, for either of these teams to be in the Playoff discussion. I love the running games KC and Chicago boast—says here they should double-down on those ground games while the young QBs get some reps under their belts.

26. Indianapolis Colts (-3) :colts:

The Horseshoes get their own write-up. This is, without a doubt, the most snake-bit franchise in the League. Mosi Bartos and Rashad Simon both spending time on IR last season was terrible luck. The inability to find a RB that can get them 100 yards is both terrible luck and bad personnel management. But Aaron Shea getting hurt in Week 1…? That’s just downright unfair. The Colts, if they ever get everyone healthy, can be a decent team. But perhaps the dip they suffered last year, supposedly at the hands of injuries, was more of an example of Normal than we thought.

27. New England Patriots (--) :patriots:

28. New York Giants (+4) :giants:

These two are going in opposite directions, seems strange to say. The Patriots (who are the better team, currently) seem to be completely stuck in the mud. They are who they are, and there is no impetus to change. They have some good players, but can’t get it done. Losing on the road is never giant problem, but losing to the Vikings after looking relatively toothless in Week 1 is troubling. The Giants, however, look as though there is finally light at the end of the tunnel. Yes, it was only the Cardinals, but a win is a win is a win. And getting out of the basement on these rankings is something to celebrate. VERY slightly, you can see this team getting better. Does that make them Playoff contenders? Hell no. But it does provide hope.

29. Seattle Seahawks (-1) :seahawks:

30. San Francisco 49ers (-1) :49ers:

31. Los Angeles Chargers (-1) :chargers:

32. Arizona Cardinals (-1) :cardinals:

This is the quartet that shifts down with the Giants jumping out of the #32 spot. The Cardinals absolutely deserve the cellar for getting bushwhacked…at home…by the Giants. It’s gonna be a really long season in all these cities. I’m going to guess that the Chargers (woohoo!) are gonna be the first of these teams to get a win. However, I’m also guessing that combined win total for this hapless group is gonna be less than 12. You read it here first. Better get to scouting, y’all.

6 minutes ago, bingo415 said:

But each has some serious strengths—all these teams have a boss (or two) on the DLine, and all of them have solid, experienced talent in the secondary.

Excuse me, I have 3.

I’m not sure what the serious question we have to answer about our Dline is. I’m most confident in our offensive and defensive lines. But I need to figure this Bowman thing out. Hopefully he bounces back this game. 

12 hours ago, HAFFnHAFF said:

I’m not sure what the serious question we have to answer about our Dline is. I’m most confident in our offensive and defensive lines. But I need to figure this Bowman thing out. Hopefully he bounces back this game. 

Bah gawd that’s KD’s music! :ph34r:

i think its interesting with the Falcons going up with a lost. i don't disagree, just think its interesting. they did play hell of a game to take it to overtime with a rookie coming in at some point.NFCS race is on and looking good already