Jump to content

Tennessee Tumbles in Tuscaloosa

The Vols nearly take down #1 Alabama, but the defense can't keep up for long enough as Abdoul Pearson rushes it in to clinch it 26-23 in 2OT.

Ceci N'est Pas Un Pipe

The pipe stepped up this week, taking out Malcolm Davis, Norris Brooksheer, Kenji Sagatomo, and LaMichael Jones among others.

Rumblin' Raekwon

Northern Iowa RB Raekwon Thomas is looking to prove himself to NFLHC scouts, putting up 125 yards and 3 TD in a convincing win over Montana.

Fib Uring It Out

The Lions clinched at least a .500 record as they knocked off the Packers, 17-12, to jump to a surprising NFC North lead.

McLean on Me

Rice QB Eric McLean becomes the presumptive #1 QB prospect after receiving an 83 overall grade from scouts.
    Chatbox -
    Rome (1531) . acewulf (1073) . TazerMan (945) . rocksaucesundae (874) . Darman (871) .

    You don't have permission to chat.
      Load More
    Soluna

    CFBHC v1.6

    Recommended Posts

    Wow - these seem like fantastic changes.  Awesome stuff - thank you!

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    I really like this update. The RPG elements are always a plus and something I've been excited to see for a few seasons. The changes to recruiting seem to shift the balance of power to a very interesting place.

     

    The RPG elements intrigue me because it provides the ability to be balanced, specialized, or if you're capable of performing game "achievements" a stronger jack of all trades type coach. It would be interesting to see how coaches see themselves when they adjust their stats. Do you go with what you feel is your strength and double down on success? Or do you try to buff your weaker side and let your coaching make up for a lack in stats. It would be fun to see these play into recruiting at their extremes (A low offense coach could struggle to sign higher skill OFF players, for example).

     

    The recruiting changes are going to be very fun as well. The 4.5 and 5 star markets will become vastly more unsettled and prone to "first come first serve" that will make teams have to strategize much harder for that opening week than anything we've had since the original "one and done" method. If I walk into Ohio and jump out to a solid lead on a 5-star from Columbus, Ohio State and Penn State aren't going to have nearly as much of an advantage to catch back up. Whether teams just go hard on a few they want or try to shotgun a bunch and develop with a week of knowledge will be fun to see.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    14 minutes ago, Rome said:

    I really like this update. The RPG elements are always a plus and something I've been excited to see for a few seasons. The changes to recruiting seem to shift the balance of power to a very interesting place.

     

    The RPG elements intrigue me because it provides the ability to be balanced, specialized, or if you're capable of performing game "achievements" a stronger jack of all trades type coach. It would be interesting to see how coaches see themselves when they adjust their stats. Do you go with what you feel is your strength and double down on success? Or do you try to buff your weaker side and let your coaching make up for a lack in stats. It would be fun to see these play into recruiting at their extremes (A low offense coach could struggle to sign higher skill OFF players, for example).

     

    The recruiting changes are going to be very fun as well. The 4.5 and 5 star markets will become vastly more unsettled and prone to "first come first serve" that will make teams have to strategize much harder for that opening week than anything we've had since the original "one and done" method. If I walk into Ohio and jump out to a solid lead on a 5-star from Columbus, Ohio State and Penn State aren't going to have nearly as much of an advantage to catch back up. Whether teams just go hard on a few they want or try to shotgun a bunch and develop with a week of knowledge will be fun to see.

     

    Just trying to make sure I understand, so 4.5 and 5.0 star croots are more “fair” game? A low tier team with 25 points only faces a disadvantage in terms of low resources per week? Sure, TCU will still beat me for any 4.5 or 5.0, but it’s based solely on what a scholarship is worth and what points I have to apply?

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Just now, mahrowkeen said:

     

    Just trying to make sure I understand, so 4.5 and 5.0 star croots are more “fair” game? A low tier team with 25 points only faces a disadvantage in terms of low resources per week? Sure, TCU will still beat me for any 4.5 or 5.0, but it’s based solely on what a scholarship is worth and what point I have to apply?

     

    Yes, it's entirely based on how many points you decide to spend each week and the value of your schollies/visits. I think this will suck more for G5 schools because it means they don't have an advantage over OOS schools anymore.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    5 minutes ago, Rome said:

     

    Yes, it's entirely based on how many points you decide to spend each week and the value of your schollies/visits. I think this will suck more for G5 schools because it means they don't have an advantage over OOS schools anymore.

     

    Yeah, that definitely sucks. But it still allows me to win the 5 4.0 stars I got this year so far. And for where I’m at, that allows me to improve. I just worry that 4.0s become MORE valuable and the big boys lean on us a bit for them.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    11 minutes ago, Rome said:

    I really like this update. The RPG elements are always a plus and something I've been excited to see for a few seasons. The changes to recruiting seem to shift the balance of power to a very interesting place.

     

    The RPG elements intrigue me because it provides the ability to be balanced, specialized, or if you're capable of performing game "achievements" a stronger jack of all trades type coach. It would be interesting to see how coaches see themselves when they adjust their stats. Do you go with what you feel is your strength and double down on success? Or do you try to buff your weaker side and let your coaching make up for a lack in stats. It would be fun to see these play into recruiting at their extremes (A low offense coach could struggle to sign higher skill OFF players, for example).

     

    The recruiting changes are going to be very fun as well. The 4.5 and 5 star markets will become vastly more unsettled and prone to "first come first serve" that will make teams have to strategize much harder for that opening week than anything we've had since the original "one and done" method. If I walk into Ohio and jump out to a solid lead on a 5-star from Columbus, Ohio State and Penn State aren't going to have nearly as much of an advantage to catch back up. Whether teams just go hard on a few they want or try to shotgun a bunch and develop with a week of knowledge will be fun to see.

     

    Could not agree more on the first two points. Love the RPG element of this and thank you for all your thought you put into it.

     

    This shifts the power and makes things a lot more unstable and less predictable. I don't think thats necessarily a good thing. Typically you knew who you had to look out for and "croot plan" against. It seemed more realistic where in state or region schools were more your rivals. Now schools with high point totals can throw them anywhere they want. Before a 5 star in Utah most likely would stay in a school there because of the bonuses they would get, other schools outside the state or region would have reason not to swoop in. But then again it makes in state power houses less bullet proof in state. I think it will make next year very interesting for sure. 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Overall I really like that my ability or inability to coach will effect my success and development of a program. 

     

    But having to worry about out of state powers now will sting the ability to try for a big time croot sooner than later. It’ll be fun.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    6 minutes ago, tprochnow said:

    Before a 5 star in Utah most likely would stay in a school there because of the bonuses they would get, other schools outside the state or region would have reason not to swoop in. But then again it makes in state power houses less bullet proof in state. I think it will make next year very interesting for sure. 

     

    I liked the more realistic aspect of recruits being more likely to stay in state, the only issue is many teams outside of 4.5-5.0 hot beds were at a disadvantage. I wonder if it could be balanced out another way by maybe adding a scouting feature weeks 1-3 that showed you a player's potential before signing weeks occurred (not sure if it'd be possible just spitting ideas). I feel like that would buff bigger schools from just immediately knowing what recruits were 4.0+ potential recruits and throwing points on them. 

     

    Otherwise, the updates are phenomenal and I'm excited for the changes that they bring can't wait for them to be implemented. I feel like recruiting is going to get a lot more interesting when these RPG updates are added and everyone is kind of new to the way things work.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Like this a lot. The 4.5s and 5.0s are gonna be really interesting, I imagine after the first week some will have a shit ton of offers and some will have none.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Sounds like a fantastic update. Thanks @Soluna!  I really like the RPG elements and the 5.0 and 4.5 guys being national recruits. Very interested to see how that plays out. 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Thanks for this Christmas present, Soluna! Fun update, not totally sure how it affects a croot-poor state like Oregon yet, but excited nonetheless. 

     

    Extremely pumped about coaching profile stuff...I think that brings a very realistic element to the game, and incentives coaching staying longer and remaining at positions longer, I imagine.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    One of the advantages I see here is giving teams more of an option to target recruits based on their specialty. For instance, a team that wants to run an option or spread option offense would've been more likely to go for a 5.0 or 4.5 scrambling QB outside of their home and border states even when a home state team wanted him. This will perhaps allow more coaches to focus on building their team around what they want to do instead of just finding the best talent they can get a hand on in their own state. The characteristics will obviously help contribute to that as well.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    The recruiting update should be exciting for everyone, only those in hotbeds like FL, TX, and CA lose some power from this update but that is a good thing. We always see blue chip croots from those hotbeds go across the country IRL, and it adds some chance for smaller schools to come and target them which should provide hope to those in rebuilding programs.

     

    9 hours ago, AD3378 said:

    One of the advantages I see here is giving teams more of an option to target recruits based on their specialty. For instance, a team that wants to run an option or spread option offense would've been more likely to go for a 5.0 or 4.5 scrambling QB outside of their home and border states even when a home team state wanted him. This will perhaps allow more coaches to focus on building their team around what they want to do instead of just finding the best talent they can get a hand on in their own state. The characteristics will obviously help contribute to that as well.

     

    This also is a really good point. Scheme and player style should be much more of a concern now when this update is applied.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    4.5 and 5.0 recruits not receiving any bonuses will probably result in fewer early commits and more ongoing battles in the second half of the recruiting period; hopefully this also means that the gap between a top 10 class and a top 30 class closes somewhat. Given that these things were my biggest concerns regarding the current system I'm pretty happy with these changes. 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    On 12/25/2018 at 9:12 PM, Soluna said:

    After each fully completed season you will be allowed to add 5 points to any category/categories but you must also deduct 2 in any category to represent your shifting coaching abilities.

     

    How are you going to handle players like myself who have an inconsistent coaching record?

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Couple questions about the new coaching characteristics:

     

    On 12/26/2018 at 3:12 AM, Soluna said:
    • Offense - Buff to skill value of players on your offense, can exceed potential skillcap of players.
    • Defense - Buff to skill value of players on your defense, can exceed potential skillcap of players.
    • Special Teams - Buff to skill value of players on special teams, can exceed potential skillcap of players.

    Can these positively affect/buff 5.0/5.0 players?

     

    On 12/26/2018 at 3:12 AM, Soluna said:

    Youth Management - Buff to development of players in the off-season.

    Can this cause a player to progress more than 1.5 skill point in the off-season?

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now

    ×