Tennessee Tumbles in Tuscaloosa

The Vols nearly take down #1 Alabama, but the defense can't keep up for long enough as Abdoul Pearson rushes it in to clinch it 26-23 in 2OT.

Ceci N'est Pas Un Pipe

The pipe stepped up this week, taking out Malcolm Davis, Norris Brooksheer, Kenji Sagatomo, and LaMichael Jones among others.

Rumblin' Raekwon

Northern Iowa RB Raekwon Thomas is looking to prove himself to NFLHC scouts, putting up 125 yards and 3 TD in a convincing win over Montana.

Fib Uring It Out

The Lions clinched at least a .500 record as they knocked off the Packers, 17-12, to jump to a surprising NFC North lead.

McLean on Me

Rice QB Eric McLean becomes the presumptive #1 QB prospect after receiving an 83 overall grade from scouts.
    Chatbox -
    Rome (1531) . acewulf (1073) . TazerMan (945) . rocksaucesundae (874) . Darman (871) .

You don't have permission to chat.
      Load More
    Rome

New NFL Coaching Hires

Adam Gase to NYJ

Vic Fangio to DEN

Freddie Kitchens for CLE

Zac Taylor to CIN

Matt LaFleur to GB

Kliff Kingsbury to ARI

Bruce Arians to TB

What do we take of'em, guys?

28 minutes ago, Rome said:

Adam Gase to NYJ

Don't mind it, coordinators will be important but it's not the worst possible hire. I don't think the personality things are that big of an issue, probably blown-up by the media and our outsiders understanding.

Vic Fangio to DEN

I love what Fangio did with the Bears and the 9ers before that, hopefully he is as good of a head coach. Denver has a good defense as it is, his ability to work around talent and create new schemes for each team should be super exciting. 

Freddie Kitchens for CLE

He and Baker were awesome together but I thought him as OC would have been better, I am not sure if he is up to controlling the whole team, but it was important to keep him on staff and he should keep growing the Browns.

Zac Taylor to CIN

Works with Sean McVay. Has less experience than McVay did when he became HC, I don't think there is enough of a profile on him, but he should be fun in Cleveland, maybe he can get Dalton back to 2015 levels.

Matt LaFleur to GB

MCVAY-GASM. Tennessee weren't all that great offensively last year (like ranking in the mid 20's for a lot of fairly important metrics) and he couldn't get the best out of Mariota. Another one I am not sure about, but McCarthy clearly wasn't working. Hopefully Matt meshes with Aaron, which seems to be at least a reasonable chance seeing as he had a a great relationship with the apparently difficult RG3.

Kliff Kingsbury to ARI

I actually like this, a lot. I love Rosen and Kingsbury should help him out a lot, but talent is still the biggest issue for Zona. I don't think Kliff's record at TTU was entirely his fault, and a lot of the things you read on Twitter and Reddit can be pretty easily dispelled if you look at the context of the team.

Bruce Arians to TB

I have seen Arians and Winston described as the perfect combo for Yolo Ball, and I am so down. Lots of deep shots to Evans, Godwin and DJax is gonna be so much fun, and Arians was great with the Colts and Cardinals, so I have hope that he can turn around the Bucs. NFC South just gets tougher.

Coordinators are going to play a big role for all of these teams, but its too early to call a lot of them. 

Miami has multiple quality options to choose from, hopefully they make a semi-decent decision with HC and coordinators. 

Bengals seemingly are going Taylor, but they also have lots of good options left.

1 hour ago, Rome said:

Adam Gase to NYJ

Lol terrible. RIP Jets

1 hour ago, Rome said:

Vic Fangio to DEN

Well deserved. Hurts the Bears a lot

1 hour ago, Rome said:

Freddie Kitchens for CLE

Hope he becomes a playcalling head coach. His DC hire is gonna be critical

1 hour ago, Rome said:

Zac Taylor to CIN

Honestly 0 opinion about Zac Taylor. 

1 hour ago, Rome said:

Matt LaFleur to GB

Very meh. Feel like GB could've done better than a first time head coach that's only called plays for a year

1 hour ago, Rome said:

Kliff Kingsbury to ARI

Fucking terrible hire. This is going to be a disaster

1 hour ago, Rome said:

Bruce Arians to TB

My favorite hire of the bunch. He's got the personality to rein in this Buc's locker room. Think this is a great match. 

Adam Gase to NYJ

Horrible hire.  Gase did nothing in Miami with a young QB so hire him to take over with a 2nd year QB in New York?  What could go wrong.

Vic Fangio to DEN

DC to head coach is an abnormal move.  I like Fangio a lot.  But they need a QB and a guy to develop him. So they are going to have to hire an OC and QB Coach very carefully.

Freddie Kitchens for CLE

A major reach for the Browns.  A team that has been horrible for the last decade decided the way to get better was to promote from within? That said, Baker pushed for Kitchens to get the job which has to account for something.  

Zac Taylor to CIN

I have no opinion on him.  Didn't even know his name before he got hired.  If I'm an offensive position coach that wants a HC job I'm applying for the Rams staff and offering to take 0 pay next season.  All you have to do is talk to Sean McVay and you get hired.

Matt LaFleur to GB

It's sketchy to me when a guy leaves a job to take the exact same job with another team.  He moved from OC for the Rams to OC for the Titans and the Titans sucked this year.  Hate the hire.

Kliff Kingsbury to ARI

HAHAHAHAHAHA... Kingsbury has had 1 winning season in his career (7-6 in 2015) and has an overall record as a head coach of 27-35.  He was fired from Texas Tech, so naturally he should get hired as an NFL coach.  How does a guy with a career 43% win percentage with a pipeline to Texas recruits get hired at the NFL level?  And don't forget his arrogance/lack of ability to evaluate talent which led to the subsequent transfer of Heisman Trophy winner Baker Mayfield.

Bruce Arians to TB

Probably the 2nd best hire out of the group behind Fangio IMO.  

Gase- Meh, think if he can change his personality around somewhat that he will be good for Darnold.

Fangio- Bad for the Bears and bad for Denver. Great DC but much like Wade Phillips and Romeo Crennel think his ceiling is the best DC in the league.

Kitchens- Not a big fan. Really pulling for Baker and the Browns but wish they would have gone after Arians. Anything is better than Hue though.

Taylor- Talk about job security. The youngest most inexperienced hire but he has a guaranteed 5 years to work out the kinks. Everyone is shitting on the Bengals job because of Mike Brown, but at least you know you won't be fired after a single year. Curious to see if Dalton is the answer or if Taylor wants to handpick his guy.

LaFleur- Meh x 2. I guess there are 3 Matts in the NFC North now. Only a matter of time till Zimmer is fired so the Vikes can fall in line and hire Matt McConaughey.

Kingsbury- AZ is in a tough spot. If you hire Kingsbury to be OC and he fixes Rosen, then he is out the door to be a coach for someone else. He doesn't have to recruit, as long as he picks the right defensive coordinators and positional coaches I think it could work out?

Arians- Love it. With Bowles as DC Tampa just got a whole lot better. Best hire if the group IMO. 

Lol glad Miami got rid of Gase. only had one somewhat productive season with us in the wildcard. Tannebaum and Tannehill just are subpar.

If a hire like Kingsbury works out and a hire like Fangio doesn't we might see an end, or at least a serious decrease, in defense minded head coaches. No one will want their young OC poached.

5 hours ago, HAFFnHAFF said:

And don't forget his arrogance/lack of ability to evaluate talent which led to the subsequent transfer of Heisman Trophy winner Baker Mayfield.

There are a lot of reasons to criticize KK, but Mayfield lost his job to Davis Webb who then lost his job to Patrick Mahomes. Yeah Mayfield is a great QB, but let's not pretend that Kingsbury benched him for some scrub that was obviously worse.

Not HC related, but Daily Norseman (the Vikings SB Nation blog) is reporting Mike Priefer, our special teams coordinator, is out. I view this as a good thing. Came in 2011, and our kickers have done the following:

• 2011 - Ryan Longwell 22/28 (78.57%) (25th) (Hit 85.99% in 5 prior seasons in Minnesota)
    • 2012 - Blair Walsh 35/38 (92.11%)(4th)
    • 2013 - Blair Walsh 26/30 (86.67%) (19th) (brought in Jeff Locke to punt and hold instead of Chris Kluwe; Kluwe had been outspoken and was accusatory of Priefer of saying some awful shit and being a cancer, which Priefer actually got suspended 3 games for)
    • 2014 - Blair Walsh 26/35 (74.29%) (32nd)
    • 2015 - Blair Walsh 34/39 (87.18%) (13th)
    • 2016 - Blair Walsh 12/16 (75.00%) (T-31st)
    • 2016 - Kai Forbath 15/15 (100.00%) (1st)
    • 2017 - Kai Forbath 32/38 (84.21%) (17th) (brought in Ryan Quigley to punt and hold kicks)
    • 2018 - Daniel Carlson 1/4 (25.00%) (despite sample size no kicker was worse on any team this year, not even Zane Gonzalez with the Browns. finished 24th after stint with Oakland) (brought in Matt Wile to punt and hold kicks; Wile had never held for kicks in his life until this year)
    • 2018 - Dan Bailey 21/28 (75.00%) (31st)

So in 8 years in Minnesota, under Priefer, the Vikings went 224/271 (82.66%), and had the 1st, 4th, 13th, 17th, 19th, 25th, 31st, T-31st, 32nd, and 36th ranked kickers by accuracy (36 is if you include Carlson as a separate entry from his Oakland games). Carlson was dumpster juice all offseason, and once Forbath was cut, he only seemed to get worse. Priefer was often known for his return game knowledge but outside of some elite returners like Cordarrelle Patterson and Percy Harvin, the Vikings haven't been exceptional in that department. Stacy Coley didn't even know the rules of returning and almost turned a Week 2 tie against Green Bay into a Packers W singlehandedly, ~30 or so rows in front of my own eyes that were drunkenly, sadly in attendance. (https://www.reddit.com/link/9h5b3d/video/s63zkx1k97n11/player ). Don't worry, Coley did the same thing (https://www.reddit.com/link/9h5b3d/video/aupm7ono97n11/player?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=usertext&utm_name=minnesotavikings&utm_content=t3_9h5b3d ) in week 1. Marcus Sherels DOES have 5 punt return TDs from his time under Priefer, but other players like Tyreek Hill (4 over the last 3 seasons), Dwayne Harris (4 since 2012), Andre Roberts (3 in the last 3 years) Travis Benjamin (4 since 2012), etc have been just as good under other ST coordinators. 

Priefer did a decent job as a fill in head coach when Zimmer was out for a week the other year due to an eye injury, but his schemes seem to be bad (look at the blocked punt against GB in that same Week 2 game), he's been toxic towards kickers, and he really should have been gone awhile ago. 

13 minutes ago, paperllamasunited said:

Not HC related, but Daily Norseman (the Vikings SB Nation blog) is reporting Mike Priefer, our special teams coordinator, is out. I view this as a good thing. Came in 2011, and our kickers have done the following:

• 2011 - Ryan Longwell 22/28 (78.57%) (25th) (Hit 85.99% in 5 prior seasons in Minnesota)
    • 2012 - Blair Walsh 35/38 (92.11%)(4th)
    • 2013 - Blair Walsh 26/30 (86.67%) (19th) (brought in Jeff Locke to punt and hold instead of Chris Kluwe; Kluwe had been outspoken and was accusatory of Priefer of saying some awful shit and being a cancer, which Priefer actually got suspended 3 games for)
    • 2014 - Blair Walsh 26/35 (74.29%) (32nd)
    • 2015 - Blair Walsh 34/39 (87.18%) (13th)
    • 2016 - Blair Walsh 12/16 (75.00%) (T-31st)
    • 2016 - Kai Forbath 15/15 (100.00%) (1st)
    • 2017 - Kai Forbath 32/38 (84.21%) (17th) (brought in Ryan Quigley to punt and hold kicks)
    • 2018 - Daniel Carlson 1/4 (25.00%) (despite sample size no kicker was worse on any team this year, not even Zane Gonzalez with the Browns. finished 24th after stint with Oakland) (brought in Matt Wile to punt and hold kicks; Wile had never held for kicks in his life until this year)
    • 2018 - Dan Bailey 21/28 (75.00%) (31st)

So in 8 years in Minnesota, under Priefer, the Vikings went 224/271 (82.66%), and had the 1st, 4th, 13th, 17th, 19th, 25th, 31st, T-31st, 32nd, and 36th ranked kickers by accuracy (36 is if you include Carlson as a separate entry from his Oakland games). Carlson was dumpster juice all offseason, and once Forbath was cut, he only seemed to get worse. Priefer was often known for his return game knowledge but outside of some elite returners like Cordarrelle Patterson and Percy Harvin, the Vikings haven't been exceptional in that department. Stacy Coley didn't even know the rules of returning and almost turned a Week 2 tie against Green Bay into a Packers W singlehandedly, ~30 or so rows in front of my own eyes that were drunkenly, sadly in attendance. (https://www.reddit.com/link/9h5b3d/video/s63zkx1k97n11/player ). Don't worry, Coley did the same thing (https://www.reddit.com/link/9h5b3d/video/aupm7ono97n11/player?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=usertext&utm_name=minnesotavikings&utm_content=t3_9h5b3d ) in week 1. Marcus Sherels DOES have 5 punt return TDs from his time under Priefer, but other players like Tyreek Hill (4 over the last 3 seasons), Dwayne Harris (4 since 2012), Andre Roberts (3 in the last 3 years) Travis Benjamin (4 since 2012), etc have been just as good under other ST coordinators. 

Priefer did a decent job as a fill in head coach when Zimmer was out for a week the other year due to an eye injury, but his schemes seem to be bad (look at the blocked punt against GB in that same Week 2 game), he's been toxic towards kickers, and he really should have been gone awhile ago. 

Not to be a total liberal freak, but Priefer is also a raging homophobe and toxic Christian...so much so that my buddy (the Vike's head grounds guy) can't stand Priefer, and my buddy is a pastor's kid. Priefer is, apparently, ruthless to kickers, and generally abusive to anybody he thinks is not a "man of God." Good riddance. 

As a Packers fan, I'm somewhat optimistic on LeFleur, but cautiously so.  I don't expect immediate success given he is a first time HC, and the roster has a lot of holes, but I think he can turn Aaron Jones into a legit super star.  Also glad he is keeping Mike Pettine on as DC, because I thought he did a good job this year with not a lot of talent, and with another year in his system, I think the defense can be a strength.  I don't think his problems as OC in Tennessee were scheme related, but rather talent. Mariotta isn't very good, and Blaine Gabbert is worse. They had possibly the worst WR group in the league, and their best weapon (Walker) missed the entire year.  Should be able to produce a hell of a lot more with Rodgers, Adams, a good oline and Aaron Jones.

11 hours ago, pumph said:

DJax already demanded a trade and said he would not play for Tampa again.

I thought something like this had happened but wasn't sure, thanks for confirming.

12 hours ago, HAFFnHAFF said:

Adam Gase to NYJ

Horrible hire.  Gase did nothing in Miami with a young QB so hire him to take over with a 2nd year QB in New York?  What could go wrong.

Tannehill was 27 or 28 when he came, was injured repeatedly due to poor-awful offensive line play which also worsened his already bad play under pressure and he was already a limited QB. I don't think Gase was the best hire, but he is not as bad as you are making him out to be.

12 hours ago, HAFFnHAFF said:

Kliff Kingsbury to ARI

HAHAHAHAHAHA... Kingsbury has had 1 winning season in his career (7-6 in 2015) and has an overall record as a head coach of 27-35.  He was fired from Texas Tech, so naturally he should get hired as an NFL coach.  How does a guy with a career 43% win percentage with a pipeline to Texas recruits get hired at the NFL level?  And don't forget his arrogance/lack of ability to evaluate talent which led to the subsequent transfer of Heisman Trophy winner Baker Mayfield.

1. He doesn't have to recruit in the NFL. Not an issue

2. His coordinators turned over at a ridiculous rate, he can't control that.

3. Sleuth makes a great point about the Baker situation, and there was some weird stuff around Baker's recruiting and him getting a scholarship, so I wouldn't blame Kliff for all of that, and Mahomes has looked somewhat competent in the NFL

We will see. I’ll wager that neither Gase nor Kingsbury will be the HC at those teams in 3 years and will likely never have a winning season.