Wake Me Up Inside

Duke faces their second inexplicable upset of 2022, as Wake Forest wins 27-24 behind WR Owen Condon's 3 receptions for 120 yards and punt return TD.

Akilling in the Name Of

Akili Wallace puts up 119 yards and 2 TD on just 14 carries as the Falcons shock the Panthers on Sunday Night, 24-14.

Take Me Bowling, Country Roads

The 5-6 Mountaineers upset #13 Oklahoma State behind QB Martin Lake's 3 total TD to make a bowl for the first time since their 2020 playoff run.

Don't Be Dowden the Seahawks

Already having clinched the NFC West, Seattle is starting to prove their playoff chops, beating the Steelers in Heisman rookie QB Tucker Dowden's first start.
    Chatbox -
    Rome (2714) . Soluna (1861) . acewulf (1649) . deandean1998 (1526) . Darman (1428) .

You don't have permission to chat.
      Load More
    stinsy

Nick Foles - What team will he play for and how much will he make?

BDN is voiding his $20M option with the Eagles. Where does he play next season and what will his contract look like? Will he be a bust as a full time starter?

I feel like people will say Jacksonville, but the Jaguars have the worst cap situation in the league for the next two years.  Cutting Borltes creates 16.5M in dead money and only saves them like 4.3M, which doesn't even get them under next year's cap.  2020 is even worse for them.  They are going to have to make some cuts or trades.  I do think Foles would be a good fit for them on the field, but that team can't afford to pay $18M+ for a qb.  They need to get a qb on a rookie deal to afford everyone else they have.

I wonder if the Redskins would try to plug Foles in?  They have cap space, and can create more.

Foles is capable.  He won't be a bust, but he won't be a star.  Pay him like a star and you will feel that he is a bust though.  He should get about 18M, but he will wind up getting $70M/3 or something like that.

Jacksonville is a obvious landing spot for him. It would cost the Jaguars a lot however(insert what did it cost meme). They have a very bad cap space issue as mentioned that they let get that way because they figured bortles was gonna play like 2017, and that the entire offense wasnt gonna land on IR. Bortles took a lot of heat, but that entire 3rd string offense he had Around him deprived him of any chance to be successful. That cody Kessler plan was only to see what they had with him. Nothing else. But as his starters fell in bunches, so did the season and making the front office look like morons. With this lesson in mind, I don’t think they are gonna try and spend much to obtain him. They’ll field offers, but I doubt it’ll be competitive. I think they’ll use the old coach as a OC and the elite defense and a retool if the offense as the real selling point. All this being said, there are actually plenty players the jaguars could sacrifice to make him work, players that honestly wouldn’t be missed that much unless we see another injury proned season. I personally hope they don’t go after him. 

The eagles are not gonna let him go to the giants, so they are out. They’ll do what they have to to keep him from there, and becuSe of Smith, I doubt he ends up in Washington because of money(plus same reason as NY). Tampa might actually be a dark horse. New coach known to create good QB play, a talented offense and a new DC who can really work with the young talent they do have on defense. Not sure about Miami’s QB situation but with them losing tannhill, could be a nice landing spot 

Raiders, if Gruden wants to move on from Carr, is the QB-needy team that has the most cap space for such a move.  I don't think it's a great idea for them, but it certainly could be one that happens.

Would the Bengals move on from Dalton with Foles?  That's a possibility.  They can walk from Dalton's contract right now and not pay a dime.  New regime, it makes a lot of sense.

I like the idea of the Redskins, because you have Jay Gruden, who needs to win to save his job, and he can't possibly plug a rookie in and win.  But if you get a decent veteran, that team can compete in the NFC East (leading it by 2 games until the Smith injury).  Eagles have dealt a starting QB to the Redskins before (McNabb), so I don't think they will turn their nose up at a deal, and the Redskins have a lot of picks in this upcoming draft, yet already have 65 guys under contract, not including several free agents that they almost certainly will re-sign.  Of course, a lot of those guys are $0 guaranteed roster fillers, but still, they don't have a need to draft 8 players.  They can afford to move some picks to get a QB.  They got a 3rd, 5th, and 6th in comp picks this year.  A reported asking price for Foles I heard was a 3rd. (sounds low?)  The Skins have 2 of those.

I'd put the Bengals and Skins as the favorites for Foles.  And he'll get signed to $82 million over 4 years with 55 guaranteed if it's Cincy.  Skins would probably try to make it a shorter deal (3 years, where they can walk in the 3rd if needed) and draft their future QB to sit and learn behind him.

Bengals have a shitload of picks, but it's really just their normal picks in rounds 1-5, FIVE 6th round picks, and their 7th. So it might seem like they have a lot of capital, with 11 picks, but those 6ths aren't much.

I think he ends up with the Giants.  The Eagles have no control over him unless they franchise tag him which isn't going to happen.  There is the Pat Shurmur connection in New York as well as the fact that the Giants have elite skill position players.  Their OL situation isn't ideal at all and Foles needs to feel comfortable in the pocket, but if they could address that to a degree it could be a perfect fit.

The other team I think has a shot is the Dolphins.  Tannehill is done and they are gonna try to draft a guy but Foles is a perfect 2 year bridge type of player.

What will Foles do somewhere else? Probably not much.  I'm an Eagles fan and I love Foles but he is a very limited player.  He was in the perfect situation in Philly and it showed, but he really struggled down the stretch this season anyways.  Foles is worthy of a starting position but he is probably in the 20-25 range if you were ranking starting QBs.

1 hour ago, HAFFnHAFF said:

The Eagles have no control over him unless they franchise tag him which isn't going to happen.

Ok so as an Eagles fan, im hoping maybe you will have some insight that we don't have down here.

Why do you think this? A lot that i've heard down here, is they could try to do that to prevent him from going to somewhere like NY where they would have to play him twice a year. Given their RB and a few of their WR, a good QB there would be scary i think for the Eagles. Why don;t you think they'll Franchise Tag him? I know they already picked up his option which he bought out.

12 minutes ago, Weeze56m said:

Ok so as an Eagles fan, im hoping maybe you will have some insight that we don't have down here.

Why do you think this? A lot that i've heard down here, is they could try to do that to prevent him from going to somewhere like NY where they would have to play him twice a year. Given their RB and a few of their WR, a good QB there would be scary i think for the Eagles. Why don;t you think they'll Franchise Tag him? I know they already picked up his option which he bought out.

So when they reworked his contract they put in a mutual option for 2019.  Step 1 was the Eagles could either pick up or decline a $20 million price tag for 2019.  They picked it up.  Step 2 was that Foles could buy his way out by paying back $2 million which he did.  So right now he is set to be a FA just like anyone else.  So he is eligible for the franchise tag but tagging him would cost $25 million.  The problem with that is 2 fold:

1) The Eagles are over the cap right now already, and to tag and trade they would have to be able to fit his salary under the cap when the league year starts before they could deal him.  So that's obstacle #1.  It could be overcome without too much maneuvering, but it is there nonetheless.

2) The moment Foles signs the franchise tag the full amount becomes guaranteed.  At that point the Eagles lose all leverage in trade negotiations because everyone knows they can't keep him on the roster next season and pay him that, so it becomes exceedingly unlikely that the Eagles can leverage him for more than the 3rd round comp pick they would likely get if he walks in FA.  At that point it would be a very risky move for a very minimal gain.  

Had Foles not declined his part of the option, the money wouldn't have become guaranteed until 10 days after the new league year.  So the Eagles would have maintained leverage in that they could simply cut him, retain the comp pick rights, and owe him nothing.

If anyone can pull off a tag and trade scenario it would be Howie Roseman.  But the only way it makes sense is if you have a trade partner that you trust won't screw you (The Eagles have a history of trading with the Dolphins so it's something to keep an eye on), and if you plan on being really active in FA thereby canceling out the comp pick you would have gotten by letting Foles walk in the first place.

Hmm, there are some interesting twist in there i wasn't expecting/ didn't know about. Well maybe he can land in Jacksonville after all. I really don't want that to be honest, i'd rather get a rookie and try to save some cap space, but i get they are all in win now mode trying to save their jobs.

Broncos

Teams needing/could look at upgrading QB current (approximate) cap space, taken from OverTheCap:

Raiders 70.73M (only listing them because who knows what Gruden/Mayock are going to do atm)

Titans 42.09M (listing Mariota because I also listed Jameis and neither has been all that successful so far)

Broncos 37.33M (Keenum is a clear stopgap)

Giants 25.40M (Eli is aging)

Redskins 20.13M 

Dolphins 11.41M

Buccaneers 8.44M

Jaguars (-4.36M)

I dont think all 8 of these would be interested parties, but they seem like the post probable scenarios. Teams with rookies (Ravens, Cardinals, Bills, Jets) I didn't list because I figure they'll all get another year or two before their teams decide to move on. Some potential cuts will be listed down below, and some priority FAs (guys who played 50% of snaps or more) will be listed to give a feel of who teams might want to bring back. Im going to list teams in order of how likely I think they'd be to sign Foles.

Broncos

Elway hasn't found a quarterback of his own - Peyton Manning shouldn't buy him any more years, Peyton could have just as easily picked the 49ers or Titans or all the other interested parties, but he came to Denver for the defense. Osweiler, Siemian, Lynch, Chad Kelly - none of these have worked as long-term guys. Keenum can be cut, saving 11M, so theyd have ~44.33M in cap. Beats drafting Drew Lock, who I really don't like as a prospect, at least not in the 1st.  The Broncos might be looking at bringing back guys like Bradley Roby (who played 85% of snaps), Jared Veldheer, Billy Turner, and Jeff Heuerman

Buccaneers

Jameis... has been a headache, to say the least. 20.92 later, along with 8 from Vinny Curry, 7 from Cameron Brate, and 10 from DeSean Jackson, would push the Bucs up to 54.36M, well within range of landing Foles. Brent Grimes, Adam Humphries, Donovan Smith, and Peyton Barber are looking for new deals, but Bruce Arians going out and getting a veteran QB, like he had in Arizona with Carson Palmer, would be very probable. Unless they're looking for a Joe Flacco, Foles could be their guy.

Giants

Cutting Eli would save 17M, giving the Giants 42.54M. They have needs elsewhere, but as of right now, Eli seems to be wasting Saquan's rookie deal. Rhett Ellison could save another 3.25M, giving them 45.79M Landon Collins, BW Webb, Curtis Riley, Jamon Brown, and Spencer Pulley are notable FAs. Without a QB, Saquon could end up like Adrian did in Minnesota, pulling all the weight and struggling to ~.500 seasons and early playoff exits, if they even get that far.

Dolphins

Tanehill would save 13.18, bringing the team to 24.59M. DeVante ParkerJosh Sitton, Danny Amendola, Andre Branch, and Robert Quinn could also be on the chopping block, saving a combined 40.31, bringing the Phins up to 64.90M. Cameron Wake, Ja'Waun James, Travis Swanson, and Jesse Davis are hitting FA, but the Dolphins could be very much in the picture for Foles. Foles doesn't make the Dolphins a contender, but in a division with still learning Darnold and Josh Allen, poaching a few wins here and there could put them in the wild card. A new regime will want to go get their guy, so Foles + a rookie could be a nice scenario.

Titans

I think the Tits are just as likely as the Bucs to move on from their 2015 draft pick. Cutting Mariota would save 20.92M, giving them 63.01M. Logan Ryan hasn't intercepted a pass in 29 games in Nashville, and cutting him could save another 10, giving them 73.01M. That's more than enough to start retooling around a QB like Foles. I don't think the Titans are contenders just yet, so I don't think Foles himself would be that large of an upgrade over Mariota, but a short-term deal (2 or 3 years) plus drafting a rookie over the next 1 or 2 wouldn't be the worst-case scenario. Mariota has a losing record as a pro, and has failed to throw for 20 TDs in a year in 3 of his 4 seasons, and has yet to eclipse 3500 passing yards, only passing the 3k mark twice. He's never started a full 16 games. I think the Titans would be much more likely to draft a rookie than bring in Foles, but I'd say they could be on par with the Giants in terms of going out and getting him, and it wouldn't be entirely unrealistic.

Brian Orakpo, Derrick Morgan, Quinton Spain, and Kenny Vaccaro could be brought back.

Redskins

Unlike most of the other teams, cutting their current QB wouldnt save the Redskins any cap, and in fact, theyd be in the hole over 16M over Alex Smith. The Redskins could cut some players, but they seem to be in a bit of a bind. No matter your opinion on Dak Prescott, I still think he on the Cowboys would be a more complete team and better chance at success than Foles on the current Redskins, and they'd also be competing with the Eagles for a playoff spot. Jordan Reed and Vernon Davis could be cut (creating a hole at TE), but I cant see them cutting Josh Norman or Ryan Kerrigan at this point, so you're looking at Trent Williams (hasn't completed a season since 2013) and Brandon Scherff (2-time pro bowler, missed 8 games last year) as the only other high-cap cuts. I'd say Reed + Davis + Williams would be the most likely cuts, landing the Skins at 40.50M. Even then, Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix and Preston Smith are looking for new deals.  I only think the Redskins are more likely than the Jags, because the Skins wouldnt have to cut half of their defensive roster to be in a competitive market and still be able to pay their rookies.

Jaguars

Blake Bortles would only save 4.31M, which as previously mentioned by others, wouldn't even get them out of cap hell. AJ Bouye, Malik Jackson, and Calais Campbell all look like potential cap casualties, along with Marcell Dareus, Tashaun Gipson, and Jeremy Parnell (all saving more than 5M each). Obviously I dont expect them to cut everyone, they're still trying to compete, but if they did do that, they'd save 58.24, putting them at 53.88M. Being more realistic, Dareus, Jackson, and Bortles would save 25.89, putting them at 21.53M. I think the Jags are much more in the market for a released Flacco/Manning/Keenum/Mariota/Winston/Tannehill than hunting for Foles, but for a team in the AFC Championship a year ago, perhaps Foles plus their non-cut defense would be able to make another run.

Donte Moncrief, Tyler Shatley, AJ Cann, Patrick Onameh, Ereck Flowers, and James O'Shaugnessy are all major FAs. This team looks gutted for this year, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them roll with Bortles/a rookie until they're out of cap hell. 

Raiders

Derek Carr can be cut/traded saving 15M, giving them an astounding 85.73M. AJ McCarron would save another 5M, but I think he'll compete for a backup role this year, and 5M isnt terrible in terms of veteran backups these days. Gruden is putting his own mark on the team - I don't know that Foles would be any more his ideal guy than Carr, and I dont know that it would be a clear upgrade given the Raiders current supporting cast, but its a possibility. The Raiders dont have a ton of priority free agents to re-sign in my opinion, maybe Jared Cook/Marshawn/Johnathan Hankins/Rashaan Mevlin/Marcus Gilchrist/Frostee Rucker, but they can spend how they want this offseason and need to get younger.

TLDR Summary

Top 5 potential landing spots, with adjusted cap space due to mentioned cuts:

1. Denver (44.33M)

2. Tampa (54.36M)

3. Giants (45.79M)

4. Dolphins (64.90M)

5. Titans (73.01M)

I really think the Dolphins and Titans could come into play for Foles if they made these moves, especially with all that created cap space, but the Buccaneers don't have a ton of guys to re-sign, and neither do the Broncos. There aren't any draft picks included in these numbers yet, Tampa has to pay the 5th pick, the Giants have to pay the 6th pick, Broncos 10th, Dolphins 13th, and Titans 19th.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Foles get something like 25 APY, which would put him 10th in 2019 if his 25 was spread evenly. I don't think he'll get longer than 3 years anywhere, especially with his limited playing time and riding the wings of the Eagles (yes, fuck me for this terrible pun) supporting cast, along with failure with the Rams (though Jeff Fisher deserves blame). Case Keenum got 36M over 2 years but didn't win a Super Bowl, so I'll be conservative and say Foles will get 22M.

3 hours ago, paperllamasunited said:

Redskins

Unlike most of the other teams, cutting their current QB wouldnt save the Redskins any cap, and in fact, theyd be in the hole over 16M over Alex Smith. The Redskins could cut some players, but they seem to be in a bit of a bind. No matter your opinion on Dak Prescott, I still think he on the Cowboys would be a more complete team and better chance at success than Foles on the current Redskins, and they'd also be competing with the Eagles for a playoff spot. Jordan Reed and Vernon Davis could be cut (creating a hole at TE), but I cant see them cutting Josh Norman or Ryan Kerrigan at this point, so you're looking at Trent Williams (hasn't completed a season since 2013) and Brandon Scherff (2-time pro bowler, missed 8 games last year) as the only other high-cap cuts. I'd say Reed + Davis + Williams would be the most likely cuts, landing the Skins at 40.50M. Even then, Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix and Preston Smith are looking for new deals.  I only think the Redskins are more likely than the Jags, because the Skins wouldnt have to cut half of their defensive roster to be in a competitive market and still be able to pay their rookies.

They might actually consider cutting Norman, he wasn't great and they do like their younger corners.  But as mentioned earlier, the Skins were a full 2 games ahead of Dak and the Cowboys before the Smith injury, so why wouldn't they have a shot with a QB like Foles?  Preston Smith is likely a cap casualty, with them drafting an edge.  Stacy McGee is the one vet they will surely cut.  Small savings, but it is something.  And they don't have a lot of guys they need to bring back other than Crowder as a must.  Ha-Ha is replaceable, they didn't like the locker room presence.  They'll draft a safety.  Maybe two.  No chance they cut Trent or Reed.  They (up until the drafting of Allen and Payne) are the only A players on the roster.  MAYBE they'd cut Davis, but more likely they rework his deal, or cut him to re-sign him cheaper.  They love him and he loves it here.

They have the cap room to do it this year, and then they can cut Alex next year and get clear of that big money.

Everyone keeps saying Dolphins or Jags in the media.  But I still think the Bengals can't be discounted.