Wake Me Up Inside

Duke faces their second inexplicable upset of 2022, as Wake Forest wins 27-24 behind WR Owen Condon's 3 receptions for 120 yards and punt return TD.

Akilling in the Name Of

Akili Wallace puts up 119 yards and 2 TD on just 14 carries as the Falcons shock the Panthers on Sunday Night, 24-14.

Take Me Bowling, Country Roads

The 5-6 Mountaineers upset #13 Oklahoma State behind QB Martin Lake's 3 total TD to make a bowl for the first time since their 2020 playoff run.

Don't Be Dowden the Seahawks

Already having clinched the NFC West, Seattle is starting to prove their playoff chops, beating the Steelers in Heisman rookie QB Tucker Dowden's first start.
    Chatbox -
    Rome (2714) . Soluna (1861) . acewulf (1649) . deandean1998 (1524) . Darman (1428) .

You don't have permission to chat.
      Load More
    Sign in to follow this  
    Soluna

[2022] Week #14 CFBHC Takeaways

1) Which team made a big statement this week?

2) Which player made a big statement this week?

3) Who are the current Heisman favorites and why?

4) Game of the week?

5) Upset of the week?  

Special Question: Did you face anyone this year that you feel should get a special mention for a well fought game even though their record isn't the best?

If you've been ignoring Colorado this year, you've not been paying attention at all to the Pac-12. Colorado is quietly sitting at 8-2 with wins on Pac-12 North leaders Oregon and Washington, and DeSean Barkley is proving himself to be an absolute unit in pass defense. They should be set for the Rose Bowl if they win out, and the Big Ten team that ends up playing them should be so very fearful. 

USM hasn't been a slouch by any means this year in the C-USA, but Eric McLean took the Golden Eagles and treated them like it was their first time on the field. With 480 yards and 5 touchdowns, with three receivers picking up 100+ yards on the night, McLean made a very strong statement towards his skyrocketing draft stock and continues to ensure that he should be the first quarterback taken.

Hasn't really changed, with AW3, BT, and TMac being in a three-way race. TMac is likely the frontrunner after tearing down a jubilant UCLA side. AW3 rolls on consistently while BT continues to blow away decent defenses in the ACC. 

4) Game of the week?

How could it not be Auburn-Georgia? With so much on the line for Auburn, they brought it level in the 3rd quarter and held on to take the game to OT against a Georgia team trying to keep their playoff hopes alive. The defense held firm throughout the game and Marcus Black did just enough to carry the Tigers ti an absolutely pivotal win over a Top 10 side.

5) Upset of the week?  

Two games fall here. The first is obviously Baylor not only beating Texas Tech, but trouncing them despite Solomon's best efforts. It keeps Baylor's very narrow bowl hopes alive, not only in terms of getting a 6th win but with the possibility of being a selected 5-7 team. The other is North Dakota State's first FCS loss of the year as Illinois State played host to the Bison and stifled what has been a very effective offense. 

Special Question: Did you face anyone this year that you feel should get a special mention for a well fought game even though their record isn't the best?

I feel like this can be any team because I've only won one game by more than a touchdown this year, but I'll give special shoutouts to Syracuse and East Carolina. The Orange have a defense somewhat comparable to mine but just haven't been able to get the same luck that I've gotten this year, but they're a team that can stay in most games. East Carolina keep pulling off random wins, notably Tulsa and USF, so I'm lucky that I wasn't among their victims. Kyler Wilson is going to be the real deal and ECU is going to be challenging for the AAC title in a few years. What they showed in our game was just the start.

I'll answer these questions as they relate to the FCS:

1) Call me biased, but Illinois State made a HUGE statement by beating the Bison (bi-Zon) this week. This team gave Texas Tech, a respectable Big XII team, troubles. And yet, the Redbirds found a way to win. This also keeps them alive in the race for a top 4 spot in the FCS playoffs.

2) Samuel Connor, of Eastern Washington fame, can do whatever he wants. He continues to light up FCS defenses across the nation and, as I'll get to in a minute, is the clear front-runner for FCS Player of the Year. It was an OT win over a "bad" South Dakota State team, but Connor still managed to go 30/45 for 306 yards, 3 TDs and a rare interception. Cooper Fleming of James Madison (23/36, 309 yds., 4 TD, 0 INT) also had an outstanding performance against Montana.

3) As mentioned above, the POTY award for the FCS is Connor's to lose. Raekwon Thomas (Northern Iowa) and Robbie Koehler (North Dakota) may have a shot, but in my opinion Connor deserves to win this award. 

4) South Dakota State has had a rough season. Before this week they were 2-8 and have struggled to put up consistent performances week in and week out. However, they came into this week against Eastern Washington with something to prove, and they kept the game closer than anybody expected it to be. Late in the 4th, down 8, Calvin Koehler found Damian Ziegler in the end zone, and after a successful 2-point conversion, sent the game into overtime. EWU eventually came out on top by hitting a 40-yard field goal in the extra period, but kudos to SDSU for not giving up on their season and for putting on an exciting show.

5) Again, I might be biased, but ISU over NDSU is something that only one person (@ZackTyzwyz) saw coming. NDSU seemingly had the #1 seed on lock, but now they have to beat their in-state rivals if they want home field locked up until the Championship game. Should be an exciting match-up.

Special Q: South Dakota State is better than their record. Them boys are scrappy.

FCS Edition - I normally dont join in on these because of my lack of knowledge in the FBS world so I'll put my comments down for FCS teams only.

Gotta be Illinois State, first FCS team to beat NDSU and suddenly the whole conference (notably North Dakota) is breathing a sigh of relief knowing they can be beaten.

Frankie Boone runningback for the Redbirds made a big statement in a big game this week with 150 yards and 2 touchdown but I have to go with Harvard's defence which isnt a player but 6 sacks and 3 turnovers is amazing. I'm sure its due to my inexperience on this site but I was pumped to see a defensive showing of that magnitude. 

3) Who are the current Heisman (FCS MVP) favorites and why?

For a long time it was Robbie Koehler (North Dakota) but Samuel Connor (Eastern Washington) has been even better.

4) Game of the week?

Eastern Washington vs South Dakota State

A 2-8 South Dakota State took a tough Eastern Washington team to overtime, unfortunately they couldn't get it done but now they finally have a coach in place they are looking deadly... I wouldn't like to be the team facing them in round 1 of the playoffs.

5) Upset of the week?  

Illinois State over North Dakota State

South Dakota State as I mentioned above appear to be getting hot and I now feel fortunate to have escaped with a narrow 23-17 victory.

USC has been pretty underhyped the whole year and the most recent poll showed that. Their wins the last two weeks should definitely catapult Jumbo into the playoff conversation.

I don't really think this can be anyone other than Eric McLean. Yes he played Southern Miss but that team was 6-3 and he absolutely demolished their secondary. He won't win the Heisman (and probably shouldn't) but his senior year is one for the ages.

My current top three in order: Akiem Williams III (Clemson), Marcus Black (Auburn), and Troy McMurray (Stanford). I feel like scrambling quarterbacks may be a bit overrated for pure yardage but Black has been absurdly consistent this season.

4) Game of the week?

Auburn - Georgia was awesome and something I would have loved to see live.

5) Upset of the week?  

I feel like the only real shocker to me was NDSU's loss. I love the culture the FCS guys have cultivated in their first season and it's been really fun to watch grow. I feel like for the last month or so I've been watching the FCS on here as a true fan of a sim league and it makes me feel great. Good on you FCS guys.

Week 14 Takeaways Gif Edition

giphy.gif

COLORADO'S GOING PLACES THEY'VE NEVER BEEN BEFORE LET'S GOOOOOOOOO

tenor.gif?itemid=3574704

McMurray again with a fantastic performance at home against UCLA.

giphy.gif

Marcus Black's continued success and performance against what other users consider the best of college football has to come into consideration, particularly with good or better games in wins over Bama and the SECCG. Black's not going to put up the flashiest numbers of the group, but at some point I contend that the consistently high level of competition that he faced makes his numbers more impressive than any other QB in consideration, with a particular shoutout to TMac who I wouldn't be salty to lose to in this scenario, he's got a great SOS and solid stats.

4) Game of the week?

giphy.gif

OT game between two top 10 squads. Easy pick.

5) Upset of the week?  

Eq2a.gif

Also feels like an easy pick for Baylor over TTU.

giphy.gif