Cotton Bowl: #1 SMU vs. #8 Washington

In a rematch of Week 12, where SMU defeated Washington 23-20, QBs Marcus Burden and Jake Davis face off once again.

Fiesta Bowl: #2 LSU vs. #7 Tennessee

In a rematch of the SEC Championship Game, won by LSU 13-7, Tigers OLB Leonard England will try to get the better of Vols QB Adrian Goldson for a second time.

Peach Bowl: #3 Oklahoma vs. #6 Duke

In a matchup of noted Heisman candidates, the Sooners and CB Elijah Williams will try to stop the potent Blue Devils offense led by QB Bryce Thompson.

CFBHC Bowl: #4 Michigan vs. #5 Florida

A playoff matchup of last year's bowl season, where Michigan won 24-17, sees Wolverines RB Nick Rowland try to outpace Gators QB Darion Harrison.

BROWNS WIN!!!!

In the final week, the Browns, led by RB Sean Bell's 156 yards and 2 TD, avoid a winless season by the skin of their teeth in Week 17 by defeating the Bengals 30-24 in OT.
  • Shoutbox

Shoutbox

Please enter your display name

Jieret

The NCAA Transfer Portal: Overview

Additions to the Portal Process

(6/10/2019) Hardship Waivers: In VERY rare circumstances a Hardship Waiver may be granted to bypass the one-year waiting period for transferring players.  These waivers would ONLY be used for a player who is leaving a program because of broken promises or other circumstances deemed dire by the NCAA.

-Intent: To discourage someone from signing players with certain expectations (for example, to start) and hold them "hostage" using their declining lack of eligibility.

Transfer and Promise Point Values/List of Promises

Transfer Points (XP):

All teams get 35 weekly XP.  There is no carryover of XP; you cannot save XP in Phase 2's week 1 to spend during week 2.

Promise Values:

Each Promise costs 2 XP to make.  Depending on the promise level you get a set amount of base points plus a random value in the range in parenthesis:

• High prestige: >3.70 coach & team avg. prestige
    • Low-level promise: 2 + (0.250-1.250)
    • Medium-level promise: 4 + (0.750-2.000)
    • High-level promise: 6 + (1.500-4.500)

• Average prestige: 2.30-3.70 coach & team avg. prestige
    • Low-level promise: 2 + (0.500-1.500)
    • Medium-level promise: 4 + (1.000-2.500)
    • High-level promise: 6 + (2.000-4.500)

• Low prestige: <2.30 coach & team avg. prestige
    • Low-level promise: 2 + (0.750-1.500)
    • Medium-level promise: 4 + (1.000-3.000)
    • High-level promise: 6 + (2.500-5.000)

2023 Promise List

2023 Transfer Timeline

Pre-Transfer Depth Chart Deadline: 11:59 PM EDT, Monday July 8, 2019

Phase 1 Deadline: 11:59 PM EDT, Thursday July 11, 2019

Phase 2, Week 1 Deadline: 11:59 PM EDT, Tuesday July 16, 2019

Phase 2, Week 2 Deadline: 11:59 PM EDT, Sunday July 21, 2019

Questions from the Shoutbox (edited)*

• If a (JR) transfers, do they have to sit a year or are they eligible immediately?  They must sit out a year unless going from FBS to FCS or they are granted a Hardship Waiver. @llamas
  • Can someone who you JUST signed out of JUCO want to transfer?  Possible but very unlikely at this time unless they are at the bottom of a logjam at the position. @alienufo
  • Can a team get a transfer that would also be buried on their DC if playing time is cited as their reason for leaving?  A team could, but it's very possible they may leave again if they don't see a path to playing time.  @gigemags11
  • Where is the portal? The Portal is not active yet, the first post is only the overview of how things will work. There will be more information and instructions to follow. @Tyrone28

*Please let me know if I edited your question incorrectly.

This all sounds amazing. Thanks for all the work you put into it!

Good stuff!

Thanks for all this awesome work and the clarity of the introduction. Mods killing it!

Will players "know" that next year they are the clear starter if, say, they are a 2.5/5 (Fr) and the only other player in the position is a 4.5/4.5 (Sr)? Situations like this it would be silly for the player to transfer, they can't play that year no matter what. Does the probability scroll based on how far down they are similar to the question about JuCo players transferring right after they join the team?

(PS this sounds really cool since I didn't say it above)

Brilliant stuff. Really appreciate the questions from the shoutbox section.

Thanks, Jieret!

I have 20 points set aside for Tyrone McGee.

On 6/11/2019 at 8:53 AM, TheLiberator said:

Will players "know" that next year they are the clear starter if, say, they are a 2.5/5 (Fr) and the only other player in the position is a 4.5/4.5 (Sr)? Situations like this it would be silly for the player to transfer, they can't play that year no matter what. Does the probability scroll based on how far down they are similar to the question about JuCo players transferring right after they join the team?

(PS this sounds really cool since I didn't say it above)

Younger players will be fairly patient if they see a future path to playing time, especially if they are not yet at their full potential.

Transfer points and Promise values added to second post.

Transfer Timeline added to fourth post.

@Jieret Can I get a confirmation on my understanding of the point system?

In week 1, we have 35 points to spend to keep our own players. However, any point spent subtracts from our week 2 total to get players in. So if I spend 10 in phase 1, I only have 25 to spend in phase 2, week 1. However, if I spend 0 in phase 1, I lose all my players, but have 35 to spend to get players in phase 2 week 1. And then in phase 2, week 2 we have a full 35 to spend?

13 minutes ago, grv413 said:

@Jieret Can I get a confirmation on my understanding of the point system?

In week 1, we have 35 points to spend to keep our own players. However, any point spent subtracts from our week 2 total to get players in. So if I spend 10 in phase 1, I only have 25 to spend in phase 2, week 1. However, if I spend 0 in phase 1, I lose all my players, but have 35 to spend to get players in phase 2 week 1. And then in phase 2, week 2 we have a full 35 to spend?

Any points you spend now, in Phase 1, to keep your players will be subtracted from your point total for the first week of Phase 2 (which is a 2-week process).  Your week 2 allocation of points is unaffected.  

Although it was not explicitly spelled out this does mean you effectively have 35 points to share between Phase 1 and the first week of Phase 2, so yes your example is correct.

On 6/10/2019 at 6:06 PM, Jieret said:
  • High prestige: >3.70 coach & team avg. prestige
    • Low-level promise: 2 + (0.250-1.250)
    • Medium-level promise: 4 + (0.750-2.000)
    • High-level promise: 6 + (1.500-4.500)

• Average prestige: 2.30-3.70 coach & team avg. prestige
    • Low-level promise: 2 + (0.500-1.500)
    • Medium-level promise: 4 + (1.000-2.500)
    • High-level promise: 6 + (2.000-4.500)

• Low prestige: <2.30 coach & team avg. prestige
    • Low-level promise: 2 + (0.750-1.500)
    • Medium-level promise: 4 + (1.000-3.000)
    • High-level promise: 6 + (2.500-5.000)

Are these point totals added to the bid you make?  Because as it seems, lower prestige coaches get a better range of point possibilities.  And is this Phase 1, Phase 2 or both?

47 minutes ago, acewulf said:

Are these point totals added to the bid you make?  Because as it seems, lower prestige coaches get a better range of point possibilities.  And is this Phase 1, Phase 2 or both?

Spend 2 points to make a promise to add the point total to the bid.

Yes, lower-prestige teams do get a higher range. 

These promises can be made in both phases.

21 minutes ago, NCAA Transfer Portal said:

Spend 2 points to make a promise to add the point total to the bid.

Yes, lower-prestige teams do get a higher range. 

These promises can be made in both phases.

Ok dope, just wanting to make sure!

5 hours ago, NCAA Transfer Portal said:

Any points you spend now, in Phase 1, to keep your players will be subtracted from your point total for the first week of Phase 2 (which is a 2-week process).  Your week 2 allocation of points is unaffected.  

Although it was not explicitly spelled out this does mean you effectively have 35 points to share between Phase 1 and the first week of Phase 2, so yes your example is correct.

@GigemAgs

On 6/10/2019 at 5:06 PM, Jieret said:

-Phase 2: This is a two-week process similar to JuCo.  Any players still in the portal may be bid on except for redshirt seniors, who can only go to FCS schools.  However, players may have considerations listed that affect the decision process.  The higher the consideration, the more it can influence a school's recruitment of them - both good and bad. (e.g. a 1.0 prestige school probably shouldn't try recruiting a player that values Team Prestige highly).  Just like Phase 1, coaches spend points and can make promises to further influence the player.

Where are these considerations listed?

For this season the considerations are not in play. They would, however, be listed on the transfer spreadsheet if they were.

If a FBS team acquires a Sr in a transfer, when rosters are progressed for the next season, does any Sr in the "transfer ineligible" list automatically get changed to a (Sr) and then progressed? I guess the simpler way to ask my question is: Do transfer ineligible players automatically get their transfer year as a redhshirt year?  

4 minutes ago, Rocketcan said:

If a FBS team acquires a Sr in a transfer, when rosters are progressed for the next season, does any Sr in the "transfer ineligible" list automatically get changed to a (Sr) and then progressed? I guess the simpler way to ask my question is: Do transfer ineligible players automatically get their transfer year as a redhshirt year?  

Yes. And for the follow-up, no they won't count against the ten redshirts you've designated.