Cotton Bowl: #1 SMU vs. #8 Washington

In a rematch of Week 12, where SMU defeated Washington 23-20, QBs Marcus Burden and Jake Davis face off once again.

Fiesta Bowl: #2 LSU vs. #7 Tennessee

In a rematch of the SEC Championship Game, won by LSU 13-7, Tigers OLB Leonard England will try to get the better of Vols QB Adrian Goldson for a second time.

Peach Bowl: #3 Oklahoma vs. #6 Duke

In a matchup of noted Heisman candidates, the Sooners and CB Elijah Williams will try to stop the potent Blue Devils offense led by QB Bryce Thompson.

CFBHC Bowl: #4 Michigan vs. #5 Florida

A playoff matchup of last year's bowl season, where Michigan won 24-17, sees Wolverines RB Nick Rowland try to outpace Gators QB Darion Harrison.

BROWNS WIN!!!!

In the final week, the Browns, led by RB Sean Bell's 156 yards and 2 TD, avoid a winless season by the skin of their teeth in Week 17 by defeating the Bengals 30-24 in OT.
  • Shoutbox

Shoutbox

Please enter your display name

Ape

General Film Discussion/ recommendation Thread

This couples with the other thread about bad movies 

but the opposite, this is for discussion and recommending good films and discussion of them 

the first I’d like to put out is a documentary that came out last year by Peter Jackson, They Shall Not Grow Old (https://boxd.it/jP62

This is a documentary about the BEF in WWI. The narration is all from the Imperial War Museum, it’s interviews with actual veterans and is their own voices. The footage has been cleaned up and updated and gets colorized for a large portion of the film. It’s at once terrible and beautiful. 

If you're ok with foreign language films -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gett:_The_Trial_of_Viviane_Amsalem

100% on Rotten Tomatoes with 76 reviews, definitely my favorite Israeli film

A good one is Dallas Buyers Club. I feel like the oscars that it got were deserved and a cool story is that the makeup department only had a few hundred bucks to work with and it still won for Best Makeup

14 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

If you're ok with foreign language films -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gett:_The_Trial_of_Viviane_Amsalem

100% on Rotten Tomatoes with 76 reviews, definitely my favorite Israeli film

I’m not against foreign language films but I haven’t watched many. The one that sticks out to me is Downfall staring Bruno Ganz as Hitler during the last days in the bunker (the genesis of the angry Hitler videos). 

4 minutes ago, lucas said:

A good one is Dallas Buyers Club. I feel like the oscars that it got were deserved and a cool story is that the makeup department only had a few hundred bucks to work with and it still won for Best Makeup

Its been on my list but I haven’t gotten around to it yet. 

15 minutes ago, Ape said:

the first I’d like to put out is a documentary that came out last year by Peter Jackson, They Shall Not Grow Old (https://boxd.it/jP62

They Shall Not Grow Old blew me away. Absolutely brilliantly done.

As for mine, I like history and war films a ton, as well as some science fiction, but something that I think fits more with the theme of some lesser-known movies (at least to me) is Momento. It has a very unique story telling technique and it suspenseful all the way until the end. It really intrigued me with how different it was.

1 minute ago, Rocketcan said:

As for mine, I like history and war films a ton, as well as some science fiction, but something that I think fits more with the theme of some lesser-known movies (at least to me) is Momento. It has a very unique story telling technique and it suspenseful all the way until the end. It really intrigued me with how different it was.

That’s one of the few Christopher Nolan films I haven’t seen sadly. It’s on the never ending list. 

Metropolis was one that I discussed with someone on here a few days ago is a truly incredible film for it's era.  I was intrigued during the whole thing.  Definitely a recommend for those who are into early sci-fi stuff.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolis_(1927_film)

2 minutes ago, acewulf said:

Metropolis was one that I discussed with someone on here a few days ago is a truly incredible film for it's era.  I was intrigued during the whole thing.  Definitely a recommend for those who are into early sci-fi stuff.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolis_(1927_film)

I finally got around to watching Citizen Kane the other day and I loved it. I’m definitely going to try and start watching more classic cinema. 

4 minutes ago, Ape said:

I finally got around to watching Citizen Kane the other day and I loved it. I’m definitely going to try and start watching more classic cinema. 

For classic cinema, Citizen Kane obviously is the gold standard, and another to add to that list would be something like 12 Angry Men. It's amazing that such a film is so good, yet a vast majority of it is filmed in just a couple locations in the courthouse. I remember watching it thinking, "bah, it's an old boring movie" and ended up glued to the screen by the end. Just little things like the cinematography give the impression of growing tension throughout the film. It is one of my favorite films from an "academic" perspective.

1 minute ago, Rocketcan said:

Just little things like the cinematography give the impression of growing tension throughout the film. It is one of my favorite films from an "academic" perspective.

I’m really interested in cinematography and lighting in films it’s something I’ve been picking up on more and more 

If we're going to mention war films then Dunkirk has to be on there. For those who don't know, its about the British army when they got trapped at the beach of Dunkirk by the Germans and the British governments' efforts to save them. The score is pretty good and all of the effects are practical, which adds to the immersion of the movie really well. Also, the HBO miniseries Band of Brothers is really good. It details the history of a US paratrooper company during WW2. It is very vulgar and graphic so if that puts you off then I would stay away. However, it has some of the most moving scenes out of any WW2 film or tv show anywhere.

4 minutes ago, DarthJarJar said:

If we're going to mention war films then Dunkirk has to be on there

Dunkirk was great, it helps that it was by a visionary director. Nolan has a very specific style (due to his insistence on using actual film over digital) that is made for the large screen. It lends itself well to telling large stories which fit well with Dunkirk. 

22 minutes ago, Rocketcan said:

For classic cinema, Citizen Kane obviously is the gold standard, and another to add to that list would be something like 12 Angry Men. It's amazing that such a film is so good, yet a vast majority of it is filmed in just a couple locations in the courthouse. I remember watching it thinking, "bah, it's an old boring movie" and ended up glued to the screen by the end. Just little things like the cinematography give the impression of growing tension throughout the film. It is one of my favorite films from an "academic" perspective.

I love 12 Angry Men.  Its probably one of my top 10 all time films.

36 minutes ago, Ape said:

Classic films are generally pretty good, but it all depends on what you watch.  Metropolis is weird in parts of it and can be hard to follow, but the overarching themes and everything are a super time

35 minutes ago, DarthJarJar said:

If we're going to mention war films then Dunkirk has to be on there. For those who don't know, its about the British army when they got trapped at the beach of Dunkirk by the Germans and the British governments' efforts to save them. The score is pretty good and all of the effects are practical, which adds to the immersion of the movie really well. Also, the HBO miniseries Band of Brothers is really good. It details the history of a US paratrooper company during WW2. It is very vulgar and graphic so if that puts you off then I would stay away. However, it has some of the most moving scenes out of any WW2 film or tv show anywhere.

If we really are going to dive into war films, related to Band of Brothers, Saving Private Ryan. Probably the most realistic war movie ever made. I honestly think that college history classes covering the D-Day landings absolutely MUST show the first 20 minutes of that film. I have never been so amazed, horrified, disgusted and and just grateful in my life than when I watch that scene. I make a point of doing it every June 6th, and I was even able to grab one of the special showings in theaters this year (I was too young to see it in theaters when it came out). One of the most moving films I have ever seen in my life. Seeing the old man cry in the beginning is one of the few times in my life I have uncontrollably teared up at a film. I cannot possibly speak highly enough about that film.

3 minutes ago, Rocketcan said:

If we really are going to dive into war films, related to Band of Brothers, Saving Private Ryan. Probably the most realistic war movie ever made. I honestly think that college history classes covering the D-Day landings absolutely MUST show the first 20 minutes of that film. I have never been so amazed, horrified, disgusted and and just grateful in my life than when I watch that scene. I make a point of doing it every June 6th, and I was even able to grab one of the special showings in theaters this year (I was too young to see it in theaters when it came out). One of the most moving films I have ever seen in my life. Seeing the old man cry in the beginning is one of the few times in my life I have uncontrollably teared up at a film. I cannot possibly speak highly enough about that film.

And to go off this there have been veterans that describe that opening as close to real life as possible on film. 

Oh Brother Where Art Thou is an all time classic and I will fight whoever says otherwise 

1 minute ago, Kremit said:

Oh Brother Where Art Thou is an all time classic and I will fight whoever says otherwise 

Underrated (if possible) Coen Brothers flick. 

I'm a sucker for love stories, one i feel went a bit neglected recently was Phantom Thread. Beautiful story, wonderful music and cinematography, just a sort of intoxicating experience.

Just now, brightfalls said:

I'm a sucker for love stories, one i feel went a bit neglected recently was Phantom Thread. Beautiful story, wonderful music and cinematography, just a sort of intoxicating experience.

Like dramatic love stories or like romcoms?

3 minutes ago, Ape said:

Like dramatic love stories or like romcoms?

Dramatic, can't really do romcoms too much. When Harry Met Sally is a classic, Crazy Stupid Love is good for example - but generally, I much prefer dramatic love stories. Eternal Sunshine is one of my favorites, Her, Brokeback - films that hurt ya know.

When Harry Met Sally is a classic, Crazy Stupid Love is good - but generally, I much prefer dramatic love stories. Eternal Sunshine

All very good ones. The watching TV and being on the phone thing from When Harry Met Sally was actually based on Rob Reiner (the Director) and Billy Crystal in real life, they’d do that and put it in the film. 

Just now, Ape said:

All very good ones. The watching TV and being on the phone thing from When Harry Met Sally was actually based on Rob Reiner (the Director) and Billy Crystal in real life, they’d do that and put it in the film. 

I feel like that's definitely something that had to be common in the 90s and 2000s and has sort of been lost today, Now we all just send memes about our shows in groupchats lol, serves the same function

I feel like that's definitely something that had to be common in the 90s and 2000s and has sort of been lost today, Now we all just send memes about our shows in groupchats lol, serves the same function

It does but it was pretty innovative with the split screen at the time.

14 hours ago, brightfalls said:

Phantom Thread

Phantom Thread was so good. Went in a totally different direction than they gave on from the trailers and it was fantastic. 

15 hours ago, brightfalls said:

Have you seen the before trilogy?