Jump to content

Week 0 Is Kicking Off Again!!

TCU @ Penn State is this year's CFBHC Kick-Off Game.

Death By a Thousand Cuts

The end of the preseason brings on roster cuts for NFLHC teams, where the careers of many players will likely end.

Week 1 Kickoff: Seahawks @ Packers

The defending champion Green Bay Packers host the Seahawks to kick off the 2023 NFLHC season, the 10th in league history.

PRAISE PORTAL PHASE 2

The transfer portal continues, and we will soon see the conclusion of Phase 2.
Sign in to follow this  
Rome

XFL Discussion

Recommended Posts

The XFL is suppose to kick off right after the upcoming NFL season. Who's already interested in the league?

 

As a wrestling fan, I'm very hesitant towards the league but I see things going better than I expected. McMahon is still pretty out-of-the-loop at this stage in his life, but he seems to have handed off a lot of the duties to experienced employees like Oliver Luck. There's not even a team in region, though, so I don't know how invested I can get. I guess my closest team is STL? I get to pick between New York and St. Louis. Not the best options for a Cincinnati kid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After my boi AAF got killed it's too soon for me to be emotionally invested in a spring football league. The XFL seems to be in a better financial spot, but that doesn't mean shit if they can't get a) consistent viewership and b) big time sponsors. I have very low expectations, but I hope I'm wrong and the league takes off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rome said:

Who's already interested in the league

 

was more excited for the AAF, not even getting excited about this beforehand but I will probably watch the games. I don't think there will be enough interest in a league in the spring to fund it completely, at least not in the first few years that investors will want to see results (maybe this is where the XFL will be different since McMahon will own everything). I don't think a league like this will work if it isn't isn't directly associated with and partly subsidized by the NFL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pretty pumped about it. This drought of football is killing me in a way that past years haven't. So, I'm gonna give it a solid chance, like I did the AAF (which I was super pumped for the playoffs...RIP

 

11 minutes ago, Rome said:

There's not even a team in region, though, so I don't know how invested I can get. I guess my closest team is STL? I get to pick between New York and St. Louis. Not the best options for a Cincinnati kid.

This feels like one of those times when you end up being a far away fan. Watch as many games as you can in the first couple weeks and see which teams you gravitate towards. Maybe this one isn't about location for you. That's my plan at least.

 

5 minutes ago, TheLiberator said:

I don't think a league like this will work if it isn't isn't directly associated with and partly subsidized by the NFL. 

I agree, but if they can manage a few years I think that the NFL would see the use and treat it like a developmental league including some funding. IF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Expect the worst and then hope it surprises you!

 

But ask me "Will I be watching"? Heck yeh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Similar to the others.  I don't have high hopes but do hope it gains traction.  The more football, the better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve always craved spring football, and will follow whatever league attempts to fill the void. I too was a huge AAF fan, and though I’m a bit leery about McMahon, the XFL will be getting my full support.

 

There’s no real team in my area, but I can come up with reasons to get behind any of them (except maybe Tampa). I think overall team brand will be play a huge role  in who I follow.

 

Also, I’m super impressed by the league’s tv deal. Far and away better than the AAF, so that gives me hope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Bastiat said:

Also, I’m super impressed by the league’s tv deal. Far and away better than the AAF, so that gives me hope.

What's their TV deal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like they get no revenue but a standard set of channels which is what hurt the AAF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I think that's the deal you have to take starting out. Trust that it'll grow and you'll take in revenue next deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ahven D'Gale said:

Yeah, I think that's the deal you have to take starting out. Trust that it'll grow and you'll take in revenue next deal.

Yeah, get revenue from selling the advertising but you need to show growth and interest in your product.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having weekly games on both ABC and FOX will add an instant sense of credibility to the league. Getting ESPN on board is huge too, because like it or not, they still control what is and isn’t talked about in the world of sports. 

 

In terms of exposure, they have hit it out of the park. Now they just need to capitalize.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm really excited for the XFL as actual spring football. That being said, I would have KILLED for scripted games. But like, obviously scripted ones. Make it a show like WWE but football. Have refs blatantly cheat and get knocked out by players. Have someone switch teams mid game. Have a coach suit up for the team and win the game. Pull a retired player out of the stands and have him throw a 60 yard TD. There are so many creative opportunities, it'd be a specatcle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know I’ll say I’ll be interested but I’m just going to sit this one out. There have been so many attempts at this that I’m numb and don’t care anymore about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DangerZoneh said:

I'm really excited for the XFL as actual spring football. That being said, I would have KILLED for scripted games. But like, obviously scripted ones. Make it a show like WWE but football. Have refs blatantly cheat and get knocked out by players. Have someone switch teams mid game. Have a coach suit up for the team and win the game. Pull a retired player out of the stands and have him throw a 60 yard TD. There are so many creative opportunities, it'd be a specatcle.

 

Given the state of McMahon's other scripted programs (IE, a ratings catastrophe), I don't think you want the XFL to attempt that.

 

Now the guys who did Lucha Underground guys would probably nail that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think there's enough quality linemen available to actually put a halfway decent product on the field. It's a thing the AAF really struggled with, and a thing we experience even all the way down at the lowest semipro levels. The best OL get snagged up by the NFL, which only makes sense, but it's a lot harder to find quality backup OL. Most NFL teams only carry 8-9 for 5 starting spots, and 5 WRs for a lot of situations where they're only going 2-wide. I have a lot more confidence in the WR5 coming in and being a capable replacement, than the OL8. So now youre looking at mayyyybe the 9th best OL on NFL teams 

 

The AAF also struggled with QB play, and I don't know how the XFL is going to differ there either. I don't want to tune in to Christian Hackenberg not giving a single care while hes out there. Also TIL Hacks middle name is Blaize which makes him even worse in my eyes. 

 

Also per a year old Forbes article, the XFL is only going to pay like $75k a year to players, I just don't see that being enough to draw in talent. The CFL is paying guys like $54k and they're getting Jake Weineke caliber receivers. Who is Weineke? Oh a UDFA WR that was like the WR8 in Vikings camp last year. The AAF saw NFL castoffs like Charles Johnson be their biggest name WRs, and the rest of the league struggled with drops.

 

Also Im still hurt the San Antonio Commanders are gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, llamas said:

I don't think there's enough quality linemen available to actually put a halfway decent product on the field. It's a thing the AAF really struggled with, and a thing we experience even all the way down at the lowest semipro levels. The best OL get snagged up by the NFL, which only makes sense, but it's a lot harder to find quality backup OL. Most NFL teams only carry 8-9 for 5 starting spots, and 5 WRs for a lot of situations where they're only going 2-wide. I have a lot more confidence in the WR5 coming in and being a capable replacement, than the OL8. So now youre looking at mayyyybe the 9th best OL on NFL teams 

 

The AAF also struggled with QB play, and I don't know how the XFL is going to differ there either. I don't want to tune in to Christian Hackenberg not giving a single care while hes out there. Also TIL Hacks middle name is Blaize which makes him even worse in my eyes. 

 

Also per a year old Forbes article, the XFL is only going to pay like $75k a year to players, I just don't see that being enough to draw in talent. The CFL is paying guys like $54k and they're getting Jake Weineke caliber receivers. Who is Weineke? Oh a UDFA WR that was like the WR8 in Vikings camp last year. The AAF saw NFL castoffs like Charles Johnson be their biggest name WRs, and the rest of the league struggled with drops.

 

Also Im still hurt the San Antonio Commanders are gone.

 

This is the real problem I have with it. Like we all think arena football is cool also but it’s a gimmick. Trying to play with lousy OL and WRs just doesn’t appeal to people. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...