Hoosier Daddy?

The last undefeated team in the Big Ten is... Indiana?!?! The Hoosiers went on the road and dominated Wisconsin en route to a 31-17 win.

Wegrets as QBs Wheeled Out For Season

Jets QB Erik Wegert severely ruptured his PCL on TNF, and Titans QB Thomas Wheeler tore his rotator cuff Sunday, significantly hurting the hopes of both teams for 2023.

Horned Frogs SteAMRALled

#6 Oklahoma State took it to TCU, going up 28-7 at halftime and winning 38-14. RB Amral Brown came up huge with 142 rushing yards and 2 TD.

100-yard Curse Blackballed

The Colts hadn't had a 100-yard rushing game since Tony Peaks posted 150 and 2 TD in Week 17 of 2018. 2 games of JB Blacknall later, a 5-year drought is broken.

Catch Or No Catch?

Bengals WR Adrian Jankowski was furious that this catch on MNF didn't count, and it led to a tantrum and fine. Was it a catch? Depends on the perspective.
Sign in to follow this  
fever_ful

Week #0 B1G Ol Preview

THE B1G IS BACK! I am for one and pretty excited to see it. So excited in fact, I took a look at all the B1G Games kicking off in the week 0 matchups, and boy are there some good ones. With that in mind, here's my take on all the matchups these B1G ole matchups.

Image result for big ten logo png

Ohio State (0-0) at Arizona State (0-0)

The Matchup:
The Bills Bowl Returns! 

The Buckeyes finished just outside the playoff picture last year thanks to two key losses to Nebraska and look to come out firing in their bid to return the conference to the playoffs. They head to Tempe to take on an Arizona State team that was a bit inconsistent in a 6-7 finish a year ago, but bring back a rather intriguing set of skill players on offense that could help carry them despite a few holes.

What to Watch For:

Ohio State- DE’s Big Day
Arizona State sports one of the worst lines on the Buckeye’s schedule, starting an offensive guard at left tackle and a 2.5 tackle at right. Against Cece Condon and Juco Transfer Damien Atkins, that could lead to a lot of blown plays. 

Arizona State- Offensive Eruption
If Arizona State is going to win this game, they are going to need to have a big day from their offensive skill position players. (Jr) Israel Carlson (5/5) is one of the best RBs in the nation, and despite (Sr) QB Parker Townsend being a bit of a disappointment in recent years, having two 5 star WRs and one 4.5 to throw to should make his job a whole lot easier.

The Prediction:
Arizona kept it close last year in this infinite home and home, but just could not keep the Ohio State’s offense in check enough to win the game. I see a similar outcome in this years game, with both offenses performing well, but Ohio State pulling away in the second half due to their superior star power.

FINAL-
ASU 24 - OSU 35

Auburn (0-0) at Nebraska (0-0)

The Matchup:
The Auburn Tigers need little introduction, coming off a national championship last year and the Vegas oddmaker’s favorite to win it again this year, Auburn lost the comfort of Marcus Black being at the helm, but may hardly notice with the talent on this team. Nebraska on the other hand, somewhat surprising but well deserved Champions of the conference last year, still seem like a tier below what they would need to be to take down teams like Auburn, and despite being at home seem like they are fighting a very uphill battle.

What to Watch For:

Auburn- An Early Lead
With a good gameplan I think the Auburn offense is simply too talented to be slowed down, and the Tigers can and should take a strong lead in the early half. This Nebraska team is talented enough on offense that you don’t want to be in a close game late, so look for Rome to get the (Fr) 5 star QB Dominick Sherman comfortable very early.

Nebraska- The Air Attack
While now NFL Starter* Franklin Riggins did most of the carrying of this team last year, I actually look for Nebraska to go the other way with it this time and attack through the air. It remains to be seen if (Jr) RS RB Hakeen Nixon can carry the same load, and the WR talent on this team in juniors Calvin McKay and Alshon Collier are just a much more known quantity. No doubt attacking the Auburn secondary will be tough, but so it goes playing one of the best in the nation.

*pending first start but CMON

The Prediction
I think Nebraska will surprise some people with this season, as Caesari is more than capable enough to pull another successful season out of this team that could compete with the top of the B1G again. But in this case he seems a bit overmatched here due to the player’s talent disparity. This certainly isn’t a G5 Ohio school matchup anymore. Look for Auburn to start strong and close the door, but if they struggle early it could get tight.

FINAL-
AUB 42 - NEB 21

Michigan (0-0) at Notre Dame (0-0)

The Matchup
Consistently one of the most elite teams in the B1G as long as it has been a conference, Michigan returns again with another strong team to continue their usual business of finishing in the top 10. They open with a rather tough one against Rival Notre Dame, whom has this game as one of the biggest on their schedule with no conference record to take priority. Both teams will come out looking to make a statement, and it could be a signature win for either. 

What to Watch For

Michigan- Playing the mismatch
To me, it seems that Michigan’s biggest advantage in this matchup is that they simply have more star power. Notre Dame is a pretty solid team throughout, but there is no one I can really point to and say this guy is a difference maker. Michigan on the other hand has several on their offense, and I think they will carry the day for them in a hard fought game.

Notre Dame- Getting in the backfield
Despite typically being elite at the oline in the B1G, Michigan’s oline is breaking in a Fr OT at right tackle and could give a place to attack as he looks to fit in, and their good not great guard play could leave them unable to compensate. A lack of elite pass rushers on this team could make them unable to take advantage, but if they can disrupt the stars of the Wolverines before they can get the plays going, they will make things much easier.

The Prediction
Notre Dame does not feel like a team you are ever going to blow out this season, they are just too deep with good players to really get run out of the building. That said, despite being at home I just don’t see them having anyone to really take over and carry with the likes of NFL caliber guys of the Wolverines, and likely to be unable to hold onto any momentum they find. 

FINAL-
MICH 28 - ND 20

GAME OF THE WEEK - TCU (0-0) at Penn State (0-0)

The Matchup
Man am I excited for this one. Two of the most continuously solidly built teams but also highly scrutinized coaches (I heard Jumbo is going to fire gravy) head to a Saturday evening show down in Happy Valley. This should be a pretty evenly matched game, and could be a playoff preview or playoff maker depending how these teams go through the season, so a lot on the line already in the 2023 Kickoff Game.

Danger’s Horned Frogs come into this season with National Championship aspirations after falling just shy of winning the Big 12 last year behind QB Felix Luck (now rumoured to be committing to UC Davis at time of writing), a big feat in what was maybe the most powerful conference in college football. With a new QB and a load of talent returning, TCU looks poised for another one of those great seasons we have come to expect year in and year out, with some even wondering if this is the year that they can elevate to major playoff success.

Penn State comes in with a little different situation on the other hand, with Gravy having proven he can go all the way after winning the National Title just a few years back, but having taken a pretty heavy step back in the following years without his star QB Tanner Bowman to carry the load. With a fresh face in QB Dillon Sneed looks to take up the mantle this year, fans are expecting a lot out of this Penn State team if they can get Sneed in a position to succeed. Middling records and a mid tier finish would be a disappointment to Penn State fans lofty expectations, so look for Penn State to try to start out hot at home. 

What to Watch For

TCU- Road Cooking
TCU has hopes to be one of the most talented and athletically inclined teams this year, so despite being on the road I expect them to come out guns blazing in an aggressive attempt to make some big plays. I think I made it fairly clear in the intro, but if you cannot tell already I am very intrigued to see these two new starting QBs can do. I expect Cook will be put to the test early and often in this game in deep ball situations, and looking at the talent around him, its tough not to see them succeeding.  

Penn State- Dline Machine
Ignoring the subject of this section, I do have to talk about Dylan Sneed a little bit. I think Sneed is going to be great in this offense and I expect him to be efficient and effective, though maybe taking a few less shots than Cook on the other side. In any case, Sneed and the Penn State offense seem to have the weapons to stay in this game, so they need their defense to come up big. This is one of the most talented DLines in the country, if they are going to win this game they are going to have to make things very tough for TCUs offense by stopping any real forward push. SR DE Oghale Adelangwe may be the best defensive player in the B1G, and he would certainly love to give Cooks a rocky welcome.

The Prediction
This one was brutal to call, and it could really go either way. While I gushed over the QBs, to me this feels like it may be a more defensive game. Sneed and Cook will be very good, but they are looking against two very good defenses, especially down the lines. I expect the Dlines to dominate this game and keep both offenses relatively in check. With similar talent elsewhere on the team, I ultimately have to give the edge to TCU here since they give Cook some more help in the run game and have a secondary that is simply more talented. But with home field advantage Penn State could certainly squeak one out, and if they do, the whole B1G is officially on notice.

FINAL-

TCU 23 - PSU 17

Good stuff, if you could get these out every week that would be awesome. Would probably get a little more difficult on weeks everyone plays lol

1 minute ago, Jamzz said:

Good stuff, if you could get these out every week that would be awesome. Would probably get a little more difficult on weeks everyone plays lol

Im thinking of trying to do them weekly but with a little less exposition. Probably more of a pick em style with a sentence or two. Don't know if I can stay that consistent though.

Picking all the favorites to cover.