Pope, Eric, the Second

#7 Oklahoma QB Eric Pope reclaimed his starting job, and proceeded to go 25/36 for 343 yards and 4 TD as Oklahoma routed Texas 52-13.

Devy Flexes His Guns in Miami

The Saints pull the upset over Miami. Saints QB Aaron Devereaux threw for 3 TD as the New Orleans defense held Miami to 5 rushing yards in the 31-27 victory.

Meep Meep

UTSA snaps #11 Rice's 26-game winning streak in CUSA games with a decisive 31-20 road victory. QB Justin Radford threw for 208 yards and had 3 total TDs.

Foster: Chicagoan for QB

Bears QB Mohammed Foster has come into his own as the team has jumped to a 6-3 start. Foster put up 102 on the ground, including a 45-yard TD, in a 20-10 victory over LA.
  • Shoutbox

Shoutbox

Please enter your display name

Sign in to follow this  
Nittany Boiler

Press Conference: Appalachian State Hires Head Coach Nittany Boiler

Appalachian State University

thIM8ZU1XR.jpg.80d0ba437e8b0621678c7255f228b1ba.jpg

500986932_1200px-Appalachian_State_Mountaineers_logo_svg1.thumb.png.62d0204c2782c791e818f3ce1c066565.pngAnnounces Nittany Boiler as Head Football Coach

Boone, NC - 

Appalachian State University Mountaineers are thrilled to announce Nittany Boiler as their new Head Football Coach for the 2023 season. First year head coach Nittany Boiler has quite the task ahead of him but is eager to get started. "I'm excited to be here in Boone and to be a part of the Mountaineer Nation. This may be my first year as a head coach but I know good football with Penn State and Purdue in my background.  I know there is a challenge ahead of me but I'm ready to get started. I would like to thank the Administration and Athletic Director for giving me this opportunity.  I know that I have a great support system around me - starting with the players and the fans.  Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell, no.  This truly is a defining moment.  This a program that needs to be built from the foundation upwards.  I intend to do that. It will take time but I have the vision, dedication and energy to get it done. Competing starts later today with each practice, each snap, each tackle, each play. Although sometimes it feels like looking for a needle in a stack of needles, I like our recruiting area and the position to find the right players who want to compete and to be part of these moments."

"In some of my favorite coaches words, Everyday, you either get better or get worse - you never stay the same.  Get busy livin' or get busy dying. Go, fight, win Apps"     

App State is coming off a 1-11 season last year coupled with much coaching instability experienced in recent memory. Nittany Boiler was made available for questions after the press conference but there were only five reporters in attendance, he felt his time was better spent trying to figure out how to win at least one game this year. App State's Athletic Department will relay any questions for Coach Nittany Boiler once he emerges from his office.

Coach, what attracted you to App State over some of the other openings?

App State has a history as a successful FCS school.  All college Football fans know the magic moment.  Moving to FBS was ambitious and I want to see that through.

I know this area having lived nearby for over 20 years.   North Carolina and the four border states are rich with football talent.  Relationships and familiarity are keys.  I plan to cultivate this area for future Mountaineers.  I want players who want to be part of this challenge.  Players that say Yes, Sir and Yes, Ma'am and then knock the snot out of their opponents on the field.  

To me, this is where a new coach starts.  He builds his team and builds the conference exceeding expectations.  That is how you learn and become successful.  I look forward to the challenge.  

10 hours ago, Nittany Boiler said:

This may be my first year as a head coach but I know good football with Penn State and Purdue in my background.  I know there is a challenge ahead of me but I'm ready to get started.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Peral Harbor?

Should fans of App State be worried about you leaving quickly for a B1G opportunity, given that you have ties to 3 different B1G schools? (PSU and Purdue as mentioned, then clearly an undergrad at Michigan)

Coach, what are your expectations on the field for the upcoming season? 

Should fans of App State be worried about you leaving quickly for a B1G opportunity, given that you have ties to 3 different B1G schools? (PSU and Purdue as mentioned, then clearly an undergrad at Michigan)

No Michigan!  My undergraduate was at Penn State and Masters at Purdue.  Other than good football, the message should be education and quality matters. 

The App State fans have no worries. I plan to build here.  There is a foundation needed and I will establish and build upon it.    I understand the average time at one CFBHC school is a little less than four season - I don't see my time here being anywhere below that.  Before the first play at APP State, I am wanting my first win here and thinking about anything else but does not enter my mind.  If anything, I would like to bring the Penn State model of consistency in coaching, fans and results and the Purdue spirit, fight and "little guy" approach to App State.

APP State, App State, App State.

Great question.  I expect to compete.  Compete at practice, compete at recruiting, compete every day to get better and to compete in the Sun Belt.  Results will come.  I am definitely looking forward to the fantastic feeling of our first win at APP State.  Something we can all share and be proud of.  It will not be easy given the other teams and coaches in the conference but APP State should not be seen as a pushover.  Never underestimate a competitor.

Well that looks like all the questions for now.  Learning begins Week 1.  

I hope that in the future, many see Appalachian State as the model rebuild.

Thank you!

On 7/24/2019 at 12:11 PM, Nittany Boiler said:

Great question.  I expect to compete.  Compete at practice, compete at recruiting, compete every day to get better and to compete in the Sun Belt.  Results will come.  I am definitely looking forward to the fantastic feeling of our first win at APP State.  Something we can all share and be proud of.  It will not be easy given the other teams and coaches in the conference but APP State should not be seen as a pushover.  Never underestimate a competitor.

That first win was a fantastic feeling that still has not left.  The second win fueled the fire even more.  Ahead of schedule?  The start to recruiting has been good but closing is the key.  I like the competitiveness of this team and this will only grow.  App State!