Éireannach Go Bragh

Notre Dame pulls off the first big upset of the season, defeating #14 Michigan by 10 points.

Luck of the Aggies

Former TCU QB Felix Luck is now a member of the UC Davis Aggies, thanks to the NCAA Transfer Portal.

Week 1 Kickoff: Seahawks @ Packers

The defending champion Green Bay Packers host the Seahawks to kick off the 2023 NFLHC season, the 10th in league history.

Place Your Bets!

The Betting Market is now open, place your bets for a selection of weekly games with some prop bets, such as Super Bowl odds.
Curby4

Position U: The CFBHC Programs That Produce the Best Quarterbacks

Position U 

Last season, I joined the site as the Head Coach of the Houston Cougars. It was late into the season when I joined and most of my time was spent figuring out recruiting and finding a scheme that fit my roster. My team had a poor record at 1-5 and although the starters didn't look great, the team still had potential. During my rookie season as head coach, other coaches mentioned of the glory days of the Houston Cougars, when players like Joel King led the Cougars to multiple conference championships. Of course, I had no idea who Joel King was and he seemed more like a legend than anything.

It wasn't until today that I decided I wanted to look at the history of CFBHC and see what programs have produced the best talent by position. My goal is to list the Top 10 programs that have produced elite QBs, RBs, Wrs, TEs, OL, DL, DBs, and LBs. If anyone would like to help feel free to make your own position U.

I hope that this list can open a discussion for older coaches to remember the great college careers that these players had and the powerhouse programs that built these legendary players. I also hope that it inspires new coaches to look up some of these names and learn more about the history of their team and of this league. 

Quarterback U

745px-Dowden.jpg

Picking a Top 10 QBU was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. When deciding who the top 10 programs of QBU were going to be; I based it on where their quarterbacks

were drafted, their stats, individual awards, and the longevity of their NFLHC career. So many quarterbacks had impressive stats but, were drafted in the lower rounds. Dylan Bishop from Syracuse won the Heisman with 3,683 passing yards, 32 TDs and was drafted in the 6th round. Another example was Bobby Kolodziej from Cal who threw for 4,023 yards and 30 TDs and was drafted in the 7th round.

However, Missouri seems to be a clear number one with the only program to have two Heisman trophy winners (Aaron Shea and Tucker Dowden). Oklahoma is another program that has produced elite quarterbacks, with a Heisman winner in 2016 (Norris Brooksheer) and a Heisman runner-up (Graham Burnett) in 2019. Both QBs for Oklahoma also won the Davey O'Brien trophy and were drafted early in the 1st Round. 

*Heisman Winner 

Top 10 QB Programs 

1. Missouri :mizzou:

Notable Quarterbacks: *Aaron Shea (2015-17) and *Tucker Dowden (2018-2021) 

2. Oklahoma :ou:

Notable Quarterbacks: *Norris Brooksheer (2013-16) and Graham Burnett (2017-19)

3. Florida State :fsu:

Notable Quarterbacks: Christian Skaggs (2010-2013), Thomas Wheeler (2011-14), and Benjamin Schuler (2017-2020)

4. Virginia Tech :vt:

Notable Quarterbacks: *Allan Taylor (2010-2013) and Blake Shell (2013-14) 

5. Penn State :PSU:

Notable Quarterbacks: *Todd Jennings (2013-17) and Tanner Bowman (2017-2020)

6. Wisconsin :wisconsin:

Notable Quarterbacks: Darrell Murphy (2010-2013), Erik Wegert (2013-2015), Lawyer Johnson (2013-2016), and Ahmed Jarvis (2018-2021)

7. Syracuse :cuse:

Notable Quarterbacks: Nick Hall (2011-2014) and *Dylan Bishop (2019) 

8. Texas A&M :tamu:

Notable Quarterbacks: Alexander Williams (2010-2013) and Matty Swift (2015-2018) 

9. Iowa :iowa:

Notable Quarterbacks: Jarius Jones (2012-2016), Darren Werner (2011-2013), Mikeal Black (2017-2020), and Greg Shipp (2018) 

10. UCLA :ucla:

Notable Quarterbacks: Jason Johnson (2013), Ken Eller (2014-2016), and Steven Gore (2018-2021) 

Honorable Mention

Notre Dame :nd:

Miami Hurricanes :miami:

California :cal:

LSU :lsu:

Purdue :purdue:

Auburn :auburn:

Let me know what teams should be higher or lower on this list. Also let me know what teams or players I missed entirely. 

I'm surprised Wisconsin isn't higher, that's a pretty absurd output.

Just now, Soluna said:

It could be due to the Heismans.  The pro outlook of Wisconsin is legit, but in terms of college achievement other programs have a slight edge.

1 minute ago, acewulf said:

It could be due to the Heismans.  The pro outlook of Wisconsin is legit, but in terms of college achievement other programs have a slight edge.

Wegert deserved to win the Heisman though :eyes:

Nice analysis overall!

23 minutes ago, Curby4 said:

Notre Dame :nd:

Glad they at least made honorable mention. Kareem to Harold Simmons to Rocky Waters was a great stretch

6 minutes ago, Soluna said:

It also has to do with college stats. Other teams had players that had more passing yards or touchdowns than that of Wisconsin's players. It was also hard to judge Darrell Murphy's college career because he only played 7 games. 

3 hours ago, Ape said:

Glad they at least made honorable mention. Kareem to Harold Simmons to Rocky Waters was a great stretch

Rocky Waters and Tavon Martini two of GOAT names

3 hours ago, Curby4 said:

It also has to do with college stats. Other teams had players that had more passing yards or touchdowns than that of Wisconsin's players. It was also hard to judge Darrell Murphy's college career because he only played 7 games. 

He didn't play the full season? I actually don't remember that.

4 hours ago, Soluna said:

Yes, if this were three seasons ago, this would be Wisconsin all the way. I can’t really argue with Missouri or Oklahoma, though, given the last three seasons.

I'll see you guys at the top of the list of programs that produce the best 4.0 QBs.